How'd it go today?

FINALLY got to kill the mistletoe in a really nice blue oak over some boulders today. I have been talking to this HO for 4 years trying to get them to do it. 4 years ago, it was not bad... It got worse. They saw a couple trees die that I told them would if they were not addressed. Now the Mrs. wants it gone. So now I get to do any tree that fancies her :)
Today was a good save of a really nice tree. :)
2.5 more trees to do tomorrow.

Rattled off a two day job yesterday in a day, so as it's raining all day today I can have a guilt free day off.
Three cheers for the self employed!!!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ij4Qi0lhQoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very cool. I like seeing whole tree weights. 11,000 they said, right?

Today I bounced around on the skidder for 8 hours. If i can get my toes warm winter work would be joyful. My god darned toes freeze up, all the time. Otherwise I am good to go. It's terrible, even had those foot warmer packs in my boots.

Mixed hardwood firewood. The opportunity to cut and skid is there year round. I go when i feel like braving the cold in the winter. Hes a tree service, but buys wood from a water company. I used to cut alot, but seem to have gotten the hang of the skidder, so ive parked my ass on it lately. Im going to try to ramp it up and try to bang out some wood for him the rest of the winter.

No that's cool Stig, cutting trees knowing they'll be used to build not just a boat, but a reproduction historic boat.
How long does the timber have to cure before he can use it?

I cut two live Bermuda cedars once that had been earmarked for the new Bermuda sail training sloop 'Spirit of Bermuda', they were used for veneer on the transom and for drawers in the navigation station. They had been donated as live large cedars are pretty rare.

Very cool. I like seeing whole tree weights. 11,000 they said, right?

Today I bounced around on the skidder for 8 hours. If i can get my toes warm winter work would be joyful. My god darned toes freeze up, all the time. Otherwise I am good to go. It's terrible, even had those foot warmer packs in my boots.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ther...oryIds=104797980|104724180&WTz_l=RI;IK-813988

These last for 5 hours on medium. I saw some other ski models that were a lot more expensive.

They make a kind of warmer that you can put in a microwave to recharge. I doubt they last for hours though.

Im the same way. Im like a reptile in the last 8 years. If its cold, Im cold. Premium clothes and boots, got em. I just look snazzy while I shiver.

I'm just wearing my Asolos. My toes would freeze wearing winter pac boots too though! They freeze in the truck on the way to the job, its terrible.

Have you ever tried a vapor barrier sock with pac boots?. A plastic grocery or produce sack works.
Put it over your socks and then put the boots on. Your feet will feel clammy but it keeps the moisture from sweat out of the insulation felt in pac boots.
Same way a mickey mouse boot works.

Back