How'd it go today?

We had a horse that was doing poorly and we had the vet come out to float her teeth. Poor old girl did not have a tooth left in her head. Put her down before winter set in. Sorry Squisher.

I had a very bad day and a very good day today. First the grain on the top of the bin was spoiled and we have to climb into the tiny little man hole and pitch it out. Pain in the bottom.

I also bought a 1972 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with an automatic. 52000 miles and body straight as could be hoped for. 1100 dollars. I dont know if anyone here likes old iron too, but I have not stopped smiling for hours.:)

Congrats on the truck. I really like those years of Chev. Gasoline71 has a ratrod of the same vintage, there was a thread on his build. Not sure if it's still around.

Bad news on the horse. Bleeding internally and not hydrating.

Lousy scene. It's my nine year old daughters horse.

Sucks. Major was a steady mount.

Stig, can you easily find a dojo to train at your new location?

There are 5 dojos in the area, but none of them tells what style they train on their web-sites.
I'll just have to visit them all and see f I can find one that suits me.
If not, I'll see about starting my own, maybe.

The vet will hydrate him and give him every last chance. Expects Major to start to get real uncomfortable over the next couple hours. He won't suffer. Vet hopes he makes a liar of him but little to no hope.

Really varied couple of days...little trees nothing over 25'...three maples deadwod and thin, one ornamental apricot formative prune, one seeding apple cut the crap out of it, one pear, one double grafted plum lower for height, two little lemons, prune for shape, one strawberry guava cut back HARD...tomorrow big ole' willow and a big ole plum to trim back from the hedge near the tennis court
And 'oh by the way' formative prune all the small specimens in the back paddock...spruce, chestnu, mulberry, flowering cherry, eucalyptus.
Then next week get stuck into the orchard. Big trees are getting a break this month.
All this on one property

I love my job:)

That's cool that you live in a climate where you can grow apples AND strawberry guava. :)

In the summer we generally spend about one month solid on fruit trees. It usually feels like a nice break at first, but by the end of it I'm ready to get back to the big trees!

Well some days are better than others to be a parent.

RIP Major. He was pushing 20. Not a bad run for a horse.

I feel like his death is a failure of my horsemanship. He should have made it. I didn't read his stress signs soon enough.

Life moves on. I'm just focusing on my daughter now.

Well some days are better than others to be a parent.

RIP Major. He was pushing 20. Not a bad run for a horse.

I feel like his death is a failure of my horsemanship. He should have made it. I didn't read his stress signs soon enough.

Life moves on. I'm just focusing on my daughter now.
Sorry to hear about Major Justin, your daughter must be taking it hard too.

Justin, sorry to read about Major.

Made the hour drive to work this am and started getting sick and feeling like I would pass out while driving. Got to job & got stuck on road to landing. Skidder pulled me out two hours later and I was feeling really crappy by then so headed home.

just sitting up for a minute now but still kind of dizzy.going to go lay down again...

Losing a pet sucks. Be it horse, dog, whatever.

What was the actual cause, Justin.
Bleeding ulcers?

Ditto Stig, what kind, how long you've had it, a pet's a pet and it suck when they go.

My multi tree property is an old estate and there are lots of nooks and crannies, and separate gardens and walls and sheds making lovely sheltered areas so the diversity of plants is quite something.

Sounds nice, Fiona.
I'm a bit envious of your climate right now as it is bitter cold here. Not so much in terms of low temps but wind chill factor.

I spent the morning going over a stand of mature oaks, we are going to clearcut in a week or two, with a shipwright, looking for "Krumholtz" Curved pieces that he could use.I got a pretty good idea of what he wanted, so as we buck the trees, we can cut any pieces that fit his requirement out for him. Actually it is not for a boat, but for a reconstruction of a viking hall.
Stuff like that makes logging a bit more interesting.

Sorry, Justin. That's sad. Did you have Major the the whole time?

I imagine it was a good 20 years.

That's interesting, Stig. What shape is that? Where would it usually be used?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Life goes on and I take things for what they are. My daughter is the strong silent type and takes everything and anything with her chin up. Major was her pony for three years. Since she was six.

I had a soft spot for the guy. Trusted him with my daughter.

We'll move on from here.

Did a hedge today. My parents. We don't really do hedges.

Back