How'd it go today?

Rotten & dead tree removal job along side a river today. No climbing but some tense & difficult felling work, the worst being a 2ft plus decayed alder. Bottom of a banking with limited escape routes. All went well & I proved I can move more rapidly than most if need be :)

Just got in from a good little job. ~90' dead pine leaning over a new shop. Roughly 20 limbs on it. I lowered most of them, zip-lined about a half-dozen. Tossed the last 12 feet or so of top, then blocked it down, bombing away. Tipped the last 35' or so, then bucked it up and hand loaded it in the trailer. Used the timber carrier to get the smaller pieces, then just rolled the bigger ones up the tailgate. Start to finish, 1 hour, 45 minutes. Went so fast I knocked $50 off the bid. Happy customer!

I actually did some tree work today! Took the polesaw and cleaned up a low hanging Elm, got a Redbud off the house, and deadwooded a Melmosa. 20 min. With the polesaw, left the brush where it fell and spent 30min. adjusting their garage door opener. Made $100 and did something besides work on a lawnmower! Not a bad deal.

Andy!! So you are moving about the planet now? So you must be doing better?

Money has that motivating factor going for it.

No good to hear your still in pain.

Oh it rained most of the day so I rebuilt the carbs on two old saws .A Mac super 44A ,that went good .The Homelite 2100S in my avatar ,not so good .I had that SOB apart about 4 times before I got it .

Here's the deal on those oldies with Tillotson HL carbs .Some can use the fiber check valves or the newer ethanol resistant mylar material .Some and obviously that one can not .Because of the way some of the componets are made the harder material of the fiber or mylar type more ethanol resistant check valve /fuel pump diaphragm assemblies will not seal properly and as such will not pump fuel . Enough to make a preacher cuss .:what: I perservered and got it though .

Repaired a 32" loop of chain with a new cutter and called it a day .

Chris, the first guys I did tree work with here, an uncle and his two nephews (brothers), a large bottle of sake was always present. A drink to start the day and at your pleasure whenever. Generally at breaks for sure. They knew where you could purchase a bottle in the morning if one hadn't been obtained the night before or none left over. Those big sake bottles hold a lot. It is where i developed my taste for the stuff. I like how it took the edge off things, and nobody was doing much in the way of climbing, except to perhaps to do a tie off or something. When uncle died and the two bros took to fighting with each other more than what had been usual, I quit and eventually hooked up with the crane guy and folks that I mostly still work with today. There had been a lapse of a couple years. I still remember the first day with the new guys, I looked around for the bottle, but not seeing one, when I asked about it, I got, "Are you nuts" and some raised eyebrows. I was like wtf? Times had changed, old schoolers about it were on the way out. I did miss it, to be honest, it seemed hand in hand with the work. Now, if drinking was on the job and there was an accident, I believe the negative consequences of the situation would be most seriously enhanced. The majority of guys I work with are into sake, but they wait until they get home now. Drinking for me has always been take it or leave it, but it did seem to enhance the spirit a bit when killing trees.

I had never tried it until recently. I actually don't even drink. I went to one of these trendy hibachi grills where the chef cooks right in front of you. Anyways, these chefs are entertaining, always flinging food off the grill for you to catch in your mouth. Well the chef pulls out a squeeze bottle of what I thought was water and aimed it at my face from across the grill. I instinctively opened my mouth to play along with the game. He squirts the bottle in a stream at my face, and I am gulping and gulping the liquid down. I was like 4 huge gulps into it and realizing this wasn't water.
He stops, smiles, and screams "MORE SAKIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!" And starts squirting again. I'm waving my hands like "no more" as I start gulping again to avoid getting my face and cloths soaked. Another 3 big gulps. He quits and resumes cooking. I'm thinking "holy shit, I just drank a soda can worth of saki, and haven't drank in 7 years."

I was borderline drunk for the rest of the meal.

The stuff does sneak up on you, suddenly the room will be spinning. So many brands to choose from, must be thousands, each a little different. The sake section at a large liquor store will have aisles and aisles, I prefer the dry type over the sweeter. I seem to note a correlation with too much intake of the substance, and guys with brain hemorrhages around the age of 38.

I was sitting in my chair eating and thinking, "seven years off of the booze and drugs. Seven years. I've had people beg and plead and try to negotiate me into drinking with them. And here I sit, drunk. That chef is one wiley coyote! Cheers to that dude."

Rain ... A couple of geezer gigs {aka, nursing home shows} ... finished a vid from Sat. {TH thread link}

And, an update on the Shop Shelf Nursery - babies are doing fine:

6987105784_170b68b792_z.jpg

I had never tried it until recently. I actually don't even drink. I went to one of these trendy hibachi grills where the chef cooks right in front of you. Anyways, these chefs are entertaining, always flinging food off the grill for you to catch in your mouth. Well the chef pulls out a squeeze bottle of what I thought was water and aimed it at my face from across the grill. I instinctively opened my mouth to play along with the game. He squirts the bottle in a stream at my face, and I am gulping and gulping the liquid down. I was like 4 huge gulps into it and realizing this wasn't water.
He stops, smiles, and screams "MORE SAKIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!" And starts squirting again. I'm waving my hands like "no more" as I start gulping again to avoid getting my face and cloths soaked. Another 3 big gulps. He quits and resumes cooking. I'm thinking "holy shit, I just drank a soda can worth of saki, and haven't drank in 7 years."

I was borderline drunk for the rest of the meal.

LOL I am not much of a drinker myself. But surely after hibachi it's tough to walk straight.

I'm back and running.I just recovered this morning from a bout of pneumonia I got from last weekends 3 day roadtrip. Was doing the 16 hour a day thing , not getting enough rest and eating junk like KFC 10 o'clock at nite before bed.
I came home Sunday night to the wife and kids and had a double shot of Irish whiskey before bed, that knocked down my immune system even more, by morning it was hell, was then forced to spent the last few days resting with no treework.
The phone has been ringing off the hook with beauty jobs when I least needed it, isn't that the way it goes.....the phone is dead when you're healthy and sitting there twittling your thumbs.

Up and going strong this morning though, got a couple good climbing jobs today in some spruce removals. Here is a couple pics I took last weekend of a customers new Cat 247 skidsteer and dump trailer. The guy works at the local H.B.M&S. mine and bought this setup partially with his profit sharing bonus check. He plans on doing snow removal and other jobs on the side. Beautiful machine with air conditioning ,heater etc.
I had the camera set on a strange setting with an "M" by accident.
Wouldn't a grapple and a 38 special grinder be nice with this setup?

Attachments

• SDC11902.jpg
    SDC11902.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SDC11903.jpg
    SDC11903.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 7
Glad to hear your back Willard. I've been on the lookout for pneumonia myself this last week as my little grapple incident and used up ribs kept me from takin deep breathes. I've been there before and it really wipes you out. Eat well and drink lots of fluids, just no Irish whiskey. Lol

Thanks fellas,
I've had this chest infection before with the familiar metallic taste when I cough up that crap, weak in the legs. I'm gonna stay off the meds this time though and pull through it.

There has been a terrible bout of respritory illnesses this winter/spring time .Mrs Smith had the next thing to pnuemonia and I had something that must have lasted nearly all winter .Seems like whatever it is the stuff has been reported from Florida to Alaska

I'll tell ya it will knock the wind right out of your sails .Bad business .

Back