How'd it go today?

I'd say the average ascent was 65' to get my tie in, about a little over half way up the tulips. Would of been exhausting without he wraptor, and probably half only done.

I was just climbing for somebody. All these tulips had hollows at 65-70', all around his house. He raises them every year I guess. Dumb ass.

He thought it was a freaking boat anchor. And the exhaust blows right in your face!!! At least that's what I Would have told the guy. Can't let them know you are having a blast working"hard"!

No Wraptor here today... everything I did today was wind thrown to the ground... Just have to have your wits and be wary of what could roll or fall on your head as you buck it up. We even yarded some nice sized logs out of a creek area with the truck today... Had a nice place to put in a block up hill from the downed tree and run sections up to the road. Butcher them up on the road.. yard another section or limb.
Now yesterday, setting my TIP with the Wraptor in a neighbouring oak to kill one that had fruiting bodies and bark on the root flare not unlike what Jamie posted on that coast live oak, plain rocked!... SWEET. PG&E guy watched from his bucket wide wide eyes and dropped jaw. :D

Worked in the shop as usual, not much tree work about recently. I've had in mind to try and make my own hardhead wedges out of cheap wedges, to give it a try and see how they will hold up. Quick to do with these half inch diameter steel plugs that i cut off a rod and epoxied into the holes, about an inch deep. Not sure if these cheaper wedges are made from the same plastic as the hardheads, the real ones might be more resilient and less prone to breaking away around the steel. I like the hardhead junior wedges, the ones with a steel plug in the middle, rather than a plate all the way across the end. The plug ones are lighter and also pound well. Anyway, just an experiment, but if they work, el cheapo, and I might be less bothered about frigging up the hardheads, which I am real good at doing. I could put a rectangular plug in the middle, but the mortiser doesn't so much like drilling into plastic, round holes go quick. The plugs are a little longer than the holes, I don't know if that is good or not. I might be offering custom wedges in the near future. :D

Attachments

• hardhead.jpg
    hardhead.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 7
Good idea about the wedges keep us posted on how they hold up. I produced 60 yards of chips in five hours yesterday with a five man crew in a tear ass slash and burn around a golf coarse.

Easy do so far, ended up sleeping in, which was nice. Went out and restocked the fridge/freezer, then went and saw a movie with the roommates. Came back to find a letter saying my claim for unemployment was denied because I have insufficient wages. Apparently one must have at least $750 in wages in a given quarter to file a claim, but I guess no one has been reporting it, so I have $0.00 in all my quarters, which sucks. I was trying to just get partial unemployment since work is so slow, thats what our guy normally does around this time of year, just to help supplement whatever hours we work during the week. Oh well, glad I have the part time gig to fall back on for some help.

Improving my method making the hardhead wedges, this time with a rectangular steel plug that is sunk an inch and a half into the plastic. Probably better than the round plugs one I posted yesterday, less susceptible to cracking, and still fairly light. It should drive well I think, and hold up. I can produce these real quick, maybe save a few pennies over the cost of buying them. :lol: At least no need to bother ordering and paying the shipping now. Wonder if the ones they sell like this use a hardened plug, if that would add anything over mild steel?

Attachments

• hardhead2.jpg
    hardhead2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 5
Delivered a half-cord of wood. Shady firewood seller sure do make it easy to look great, just by delivering what is promised. They bought from me because the "dry" wood they'd just bought wouldn't burn.

Put the finishing touches on the skid sprayer. Still need to find a small battery box. But that is not a big deal.

Got a pretty large contract injecting mycorrhizae around small oaks! Weather might prevent me from getting it done till february.

Scott, the property we looked at together? You got the contract?

Today I went to the track (good) and didn't break anything (good) but there was lots of cars and I only got to run twice in six hours (bad) and I'm still 2/10 off my best time (bad).

They still haven't made a decision on the work yet. Sounds like they are going to be a pain in the ass though.

This is for the tree planting program in town.

The track time is good but damn that's a long wait in-between runs.

welllllllllll... I have made two tooo many trips back and forth to town today. Almost have the Willys buttoned up, needed a new battery, go that came back... Some how, some little gremlin has ruined my brand new distributor cap:X So back to town and get one ordered. I figured I might as well get a new handle for the 046 as I broke the quick replacement one's rope due to the higher compression. They offer me the same damn thing I just broke.... Told the dude to order me the proper one thank you. Then watch him install the same one I just rejected on a MS460 with the customer standing over him. :roll: Puny little string is gonna bite him after a few starts.
Forgot Katy's tortillas (she like the wheat ones) for dinner tonight.... Ran into one of my GFs dad in town and had a good talk with him I guess he has some wheels maybe Carl might like for one of the quads.... I got his number Carl, in case you want talk to him.
Oh well... it's been a day... And I AM NOT going back to town if I can help it.

Shopping day tomorrow in the valley and pick up my new cap in the afternoon. See how productive that is :lol:

Brought hot and cold water to my bathtub, finished the drain, installed the sink, installed the sink drain, everything in the bathroom has water. I'm going to bed smiling. Now I can move onto the wood stove install and cabinets!

Dropped off some mulch to my bookkeeper, who seems to have champagne taste and beer money. She had thought of having flagstone installed along the side of her house, but always sounds broke. Her teenage son may have totalled the car she bought him for being a drug addict, h.s. failure. He rear ended somebody that was trying to mess with him slamming on the brakes. When I saw the $8000 Cadillac sitting in the driveway with the smashed in front end, airbags deployed, and yes, that's right, radar detector, I just shook my head. Can't turn it into insurance because, yes he was driving with a suspended license, again. She'd lose her insurance. Free mulch was much more in her price range than flagstone. She was mucho appreciado.

Dropped a cord of wood off. Guy wanted to pay me $20 to haul off a double recliner couch in my dump truck. Told him it would cost me $20 just to drive into town and back. Do I look like a dump service? I'll take the cash for wood, though.

Went to Home Depot for trim and odds and ends with Amy this morning. I've all but finished the laminate floor in the living room and kitchen. Next project is to do the baseboards, door trim, and window trim.

Back