How'd it go today?

Stehanson just left from his visit. Tri tiI ended up just doing a garlic rub as I was pretty tuckered out the last couple of nights. Still came out pretty tastey..
Rob hoisted up the black oak chunk and we lowered it into Steves pickup. See what he makes out of it :/:
Had to pick up the boys from camp earlier today and get back here to prep dinner. Lilly was not exactly happy her brothers were home after having no sibling rivalry for a few days .....
Just a nice but busy day off over all.

halfway through my day long course yesterday I got the 24 hour flu. Bub had it over Friday and Saturday. I used the boys room repeatedly but toughed it out. Got the course completed and only had to stop twice on the drive home to uhm, release undigested material by the roadside. a night of trips to the bathroom and here I am. Still trying to decide if I feel better and if I am up for an overnight camp trip or not. Currently I would say the likelihood is about 50/50

The course was to upgrade my PAL (possession and aquisition license) for firearms, up here its a separate one for long arms and handguns, I can now legally buy and own either. :)

Ouch...$350 for a catalytic converter for my car. Brought my little oil change & a few other things bill to $472.:|:

High fever, aches, pains and all the other things that go along with the flu, this sucks!

Good day, did a tree the customer added from last weeks job this morning. Headed over and started another job, got everything done on the work order he OK'd, then he decided to go for the rest of it while we were there. Sweet! I'll give him a small discount for doing so, as I'm doing good on the job already, so we'll take care of that tomorrow.. Picked up a couple Colorado Blue Spruces at my friends house he needed dug up, went to my house and planted those, and split a bit of wood while I was there. I hate looking at bucked up wood, give me a log pile or split firewood. I have a nice sized log pile going on at the house, my house will be boiling this winter, and I'll be able to sell some to pay for oil. 8)

Just changed the oil in the mini, and noticed the Ford is over 1,000 miles. Damn, headed to Walmart tonight to grab the motorcraft stuff.:|:

Day 3 of our trip to Calgary. Took the kids and sprung my little cousin from school and went to see Cars 2. It was pretty good, kids loved it, and it was my first 3D movie experience. Cool! Tomorrow, Wed. and Thurs. I will go to work for my old boss. It'll be fun to work for the salty dog again!

Did my mistletoe job today while Rob chipped a pile of brush from some removals we did there last month. :P
HO decided the brush pile was larger than what he wanted sitting all summer...I wish they would change their minds when the shat is still green and flexible:|:
Oh well.. Do some brushing over there tomorrow and maybe we are done until winter over there.
Booked another two days of felling trees on a burned parcel when I got home. Pretty solid almost to October now. Hit about 90ish today, so I am chillin but the cooler until mamma and the kiddos get home.

Got a lane closure permit tomorow and a tree delivery and a doctors appointment for an employee and now an inch of rain scheduled for tomorow. Should prove interesting

Not much today .Had my bi-annual check up for glaucoma of which things are great .Fiddled with a chainsaw and installed a telephone for my mother . The last several days of playing like a 25 year old Paul Bunyan is once again reminding me I'm not as young as I used to be .

great day today, did a BIG dead poplar in the morning with the crane then went and took down 2 good sized oaks since we were rollin with the crane. Made more today than I did all last week:|:

Had my heart beating pretty good today working out on the coast just south Aberdeen/Hoquim, home of the late Kurt Cobain. We had a sitka spruce with P. pini, a heart rot fungus, about 30-some inches dbh. Some head lean toward a large restroom, with the lay having to go somewhat perpendicular one way or the other, as we were about 10' from the building.

Hard for us to judge the side lean due to curved trunk and limb weight (this is with Duane having 19 years Parks experience, and logging before that). One way was also a propane tank, we went the other. Decided to push with the arch of the skidder as it reached higher than the blade, cutting about a foot above the ground. Didn't want to go, even with a gutted hinge. Most of the back cut was rotten, with an inch thick rind. We positioned the hinge in good wood. Had at least half dozen park staff watching, one guy videoing, partly hoping for a big OOPS.

Skidder arch started sliding up the tree, rather that pushing it over more. Skidder up on an angle, I was trying to get in a place between, but not between the tires to tap the wedges farther in case the skidder slid back down. Duane wouldn't have liked the tree on top of him in the skidder. Tree would have won over the skidder cage to say the least.

I couldn't get the saw into the backcut because of the skidder tires, so I just had to keep feathering away on the hinge through the facecut. Duane was sitting there, holding the brake, tilted, not able to see because of the skidder roof or do anything, except get ready to jump. Finally, it started to tip, I cleared out, and gave him the thumbs up, much to his relief.

The 3 inch thick, 4 inch wide tension side held all the way to the ground, and tore down the side of the tree down the buttress root.

Then got to dump a 40 incher with a heavy head lean, and a 20 something incher spruce to finish out the day.

great day today, did a BIG dead poplar in the morning with the crane then went and took down 2 good sized oaks since we were rollin with the crane. Made more today than I did all last week:|:

Good to hear Paul!

BTW, I'm still bucking for a Wraptor for Parks, but WA is broke. We might be getting some money from some timber sales due to huge laminated root disease pockets that might get commercially logged.

Day off between tree work jobs, had promised to finish some metal lathe turned parts for a local guy who produces wood stoves. Some headed pins for the door hinges and a threaded rod for which I don't know. He bought a lathe to do it himself, but it must be easier to call me. Kind of tedious to do, but it does keep my hand in lathe work somewhat. He's a friend, and we often end up trading for work, one thing or another. Fiddled in the vegee garden a bit, but losing the battle against leaf eating machine larvae in the cabbage. Trying to grow organic, and some bugs are laughing at me.

A lot of leaf-eaters are discouraged by finely-sifted wood ash sprinkled on the plants, though I mainly used that for something eating my cucumber leaves years ago before I knew what the critters even were.

Back