How'd it go today?

Worked on scrapping the last two "projects" I had hanging around the farm. Ran out of oxygen for the torch, had to go borrow a tank. Spent some time cleaning out the garage at what was my grandfathers house. I'll be moving in there soon. Going to turn the garage into a woodworking shop after I get it painted and put in some good lighting. Found something interesting in the corner. Before my grandfather co-founded the Forestall Corp., he was one of the first salesman for Morbark pulpwood debarkers. This was before they ever made chippers, as far as I know. There is a pair of these signs. They must have gone on a truck at one point.

morbark.jpg

Nothng spectacular today .Dropped sliced and diced two dead ash trees ,only about 12-15 to go yet .Good grief it took longer to clean the brush and rakings as it did to drop and carve up the tree .Firewood stuff no good saw logs .

More to do but I have to burn off my slash pile first which is getting rather large .

I worked on a remarkable piece of sh@t shed that my friend bought as a kit. So if anybody is thinking about an EZbuild shed you would be absolutely nuts.

Built two of those steel in the kit sheds... THEY SUCK!
EZ build my arse!

Just got home from dinner and I need to marinate some tri tip for tomorrow. And I see Steve is having tri tip tonight :lol:
Hope you aren't tired of tri tip Steve :lol:

Went and looked at some wood that I heard about, belonging to a young lady and collected by her father, a fairly recently deceased gardner. If I would make something for them out of it, maybe a stool, I could have the truckload of wood, arranged via a mutual friend. Unfortunately, it had been stored uncovered and was rotten to a large extent. She runs the gardening business now, with a few workers. Nice house at the end of the road with a peaceful natural garden and small pond. She studies the traditional tea ceremony, and invited me in to partake in a tea house that is in the garden, a simple but beautiful structure the way those are often built, with exquisite workmanship. Those things never get destroyed, if someone say dies and it is no longer needed, it can be given to someone who will want to use it, and then it gets disassembled, and then reconstructed and repaired elsewhere. Very valuable commodities, some are considered national treasures. A very pleasing mixture of naturalness and refinement, a world in itself really. About an hour or so drinking tea, listening to the wind blow the bamboo outside, and chatting. It was a real nice break in the afternoon.

The tea ceremony is a tradition from the samurai era, an occasion to allow respite from the demands of the world, one enters through a small door on your knees, so no need to be reminded that swords are left outside. it can be very formal, dictated by years of study, or casual for novices like myself, either way the point of it is a unique interlude for relaxation. Quite interesting, really, a quiet reflection of man in nature, with an added social twist.

A cord is 128 cubic feet .Usually about 80-90 cubic feet of wood ,the rest air space .

Well I got my brush fire burned this morning so it looks like 2 or 3 more ash trees today .I have some help today so it should go a little easier .

I had a repeat customer call yesterday to ask how far I would travel to take a tree down. I asked how far he had in mind, and he said, "How about Haiti?" After my stunned reply he told me he was kidding and that he had bought a house about 100 miles away that had three trees that needed to come down. I told him I would try to get up there and look at them next week. I needs me a motorcycle equipped with tool boxes.....:lol:

I had a customer ask if I would do one in LA one time.. I said sure... Trip time round trip and a motel room.... food... Estimate is gonna cost ya.. They found someone local :lol:

Got all my brush drug that I had down from my yard project and mulched it all up in a couple low spots I'm filling in. Knocked down & cut up the two spars. Now I can at least see the old house foundation so I can start beating on it with a sledge to knock it out.

Must admit I was having some serious equipment envy while making the 50yd trek back and forth hauling brush, it's been a while since I did that.

Built two of those steel in the kit sheds... THEY SUCK!
EZ build my arse!

Just got home from dinner and I need to marinate some tri tip for tomorrow. And I see Steve is having tri tip tonight :lol:
Hope you aren't tired of tri tip Steve :lol:

I only ate a bite or two of tri-tip.

Attachments

• Photo828.jpg
    Photo828.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3
It went pretty good today ,dropped ,sliced,diced 4 ash trees and a dead pine .All small ones ,firewood stuff .

Tom came out to test his new to him Vermeer 672 stump grinder .It did just fine .

Attachments

• Vermeer 672 001.jpg
    Vermeer 672 001.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Vermeer 672 002.jpg
    Vermeer 672 002.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
More garage cleaning. Taking a bunch of old radiators and other scrap to the junkyard. Going to convert them to money for sheetrock and paint. Garage is about 80% rocked, just need to finish one corner and start taping. Fortunately the ceiling is finished.:D Talked to my plumber and electrician, getting a plan going for some modifications I want to do before I move all of my tools in. No spare time this summer.:/:

Back