Fuel prices

I never get that even after repeatedly explaining to people how I fill up a half gallon bottle of gatorade for $0.50 by buying bulk powder at the store, and my snacks are at least half price. I guess it's similar to how the boss wants a firewood operation, but wants to buy a big chipper so we can turn a few hundred dollars of firewood into mulch each day, then complains that we can't afford to buy a big chipper, and doesn't want time spent on processing firewood to save money for a firewood destroyer.

Anyway, those people keep gas prices low, buy helping the stations to profit big on trash that ends up piled in every corner of the trucks.

And sometimes eating lunch is the best part of your day, so if you can afford to eat at a restaurant or something that's cool too. I used to eat out on lunch all the time because you can only eat crappy bachelor lunches for so long. Actual food isn't cooked with a microwave. Life's too short not to enjoy some of it, and if i want to max out the Chinese buffet in 30 min so be it! :lol: Don't most of you only work like 6 hours a day anyways? Lunch doesn't matter much when you work part time.

Gas stations profit on the junk, not the gas. Buying gas with the card is a good way to stay right out of those places.
About 10 years ago when I quit drinking soda I stopped going into convenience stores completely. I had already given up beer and cigarettes, so there was nothing in there for me. I bought all my supplies at the grocery store and packed a cooler every day with bottled water and Gatorade. About 75c per bottle instead of $2 each, and water was only 16c per bottle instead of $1.19.

I eat out a lot cause of the boss. I always bring food, but he never does, so we eat at restaurants, alternating who pays. I'd usually rather just have what I brought, but restaurants are good too. I don't usually buy snack food from convenience stores, but I do like wawa subs, and stuff like that.

They're the best store around, with Sheetz bringing in a respectable 2nd place. Pretty good food, cheap gas, and bathrooms.

You don't have to eat cheap bachelor lunches. Make extra dinner. Have solid leftovers.

I get it, but eating out isn't all that bad if you do it right. We had several bars and restaurants that would have very reasonable lunch specials, served at a place that you could come in from work, wash up, and look at some different walls for a few min while you ate your food. The more the dive bar the better the food usually, we had places we went religiously, called on ahead so it's ready when we get there if not already at a table waiting on us. There's places to eat in town here that have incredible food for cheap, not chain stores but small mom and pop places. I'm just saying there's ways to do it without going broke.

I chuckle to myself, reading about stopping at the corner store or eating out during the work day.

Does no one else have a job, as I did, where your daily work was out in places where it would be an hour plus drive to get to somewhere that you could buy ANYTHING?

I am an 'effin dinosaur, sure as ....
:D

Well if that's the case i am running a cooler with enough food for the week. Obviously grilling out/ cooking on the tailgate is better than stopping somewhere!

There are 2 restaurant in my main work area. One is a bar and grill the other a take- out burger place (good quality, owned by friends). Both are inconvenient.

I say that if peeps aren't leaving with food and water at the end of the day, they didn't bring enough at the beginning.

There is a box or bin for each employee in the truck that can be a good stash spot.

I keep extra food in the truck for employees.
I lose out more than anyone when they bonk out and can't mentally process or physically work.

Groundies usually don't have the skill to be paid enough to afford others to prep, cook, and clean for them, regularly, IME. Doesn't stop them.

I chuckle to myself, reading about stopping at the corner store or eating out during the work day.

Does no one else have a job, as I did, where your daily work was out in places where it would be an hour plus drive to get to somewhere that you could buy ANYTHING?

Indeed

Groundies usually don't have the skill to be paid enough to afford others to prep, cook, and clean for them, regularly, IME. Doesn't stop them.

And that's the other thing, I've never ever been like that. I've been working since i was 12, and always made enough to afford lunch so i can't really relate to that. Even landscaping and mowing we would eat out, you gotta put gas in the truck. Cooking wasn't really taught to me as a kid, i was far too busy doing stuff so eating out became pretty normal. I ate school lunches as a kid pretty often, all the time in high school, and so it was normal. I was pretty much gone from the house all day and night anyways with sports, work, and friends, so food was just grabbed on the go, even dad ate at the school (teacher). There's hundreds of restaurants here too, so that helps. I still haven't eaten at them all, and they open new ones every year. One of the advantages living around other people. I would even go so far as the more populated the place you live in, the less you need to cook.

But but but, it is urban forestry, you know...

If I eat eggs and cheese for breakfast, I can go just about all day without eating more than a snack, or even nothing. Then ready for dinner.
Anecdotally, blood group O seems to be able to go for long periods of time without a top up (me), while A's (my mum, brother and groundie) just about fall off the planet if they don't eat lunch by about 1pm.

Same. I read that, and thought "Wonder what my blood type is?". I feel like that's something I should know. Maybe it doesn't matter. Thinking of some kind of accident, and being coherent. Does EMS care if you know your blood type? Is that something they test for anyway regardless of what you say?

Back