Fuel prices

frans

TreeHouser
Wow $5.60 for diesel. I’m going to have a hard time justifying this price increase to my customers. I’m actually thinking of getting out of the tree service and just getting a job somewhere. Many of our customers are on fixed incomes, I just can’t look them in the face and tell them a $600 job is now 800.

Wow $5.60 for diesel. I’m going to have a hard time justifying this price increase to my customers. I’m actually thinking of getting out of the tree service and just getting a job somewhere. Many of our customers are on fixed incomes, I just can’t look them in the face and tell them a $600 job is now 800.
Unless you're using 100 gallons of diesel for that $600 job, your new price of $800 isn't justified. Or if it is, don't blame it all on fuel. Yes, it seems expensive. But in reality it's an extra $20-40 per job at most, if you have multiple trucks.

But the stimulus isn’t going to cost anybody that makes under 400k a year a penny, remember that in November.

Things are Fuckin weird. Biden is letting Russia mediate on a new Iran deal while also not sanctioning Russia oil while also negotiating with Maduro to import more oil when the US didn't recognize Maduro who also negotiated with Putin.

This is Joe Biden as President.

Stephen L. Miller
Stephen L. Miller (@redsteeze) March 7, 2022

Last edited:
Always makes me laugh - a fixed income. My wife and I work and we’re on a fixed income. Heck, everyone I know is on a fixed income. We don’t have a printing press or people to legally take from through taxes. Promise I don’t mean that as callous. It’s just a funny term in my mind. 😂

Thanks.

Honestly, though, through my career I can't count how many elderly folk I worked for that were on fixed incomes.

Small rural community, after 50 years you get to know every body. Not all of them were truly on fixed incomes. Easy to tell when you walked into their property.

Different demographics. I guess.

I knew an elderly couple who died with 1.3 million in cash at the bank. Who were on a fixed income.

I knew an elderly couple who died with 1.3 million in cash at the bank. Who were on a fixed income.

Old guy used to come into the club most nights and have a drink with us, 95, ex maritime. Been all over the world on ships, never drank in port but ran all over every one. $1 million in the bank, two blocks of flats, two houses and no relatives except one son in New Zealand he'd never met.

Used to tell me to make sure I got my super right, never offered to help though. I bet his son got a surprise.

Diesel is about $1.90 a litre and going up fast, could be $2.30 soon.

Last edited:
Stop spending every penny lol.
I often wonder where is the line when you start “making it” in tree work. It always seems that there is new and improved to buy or shits wore out and you need a new one.

So, for comparison, at the end of 2020, diesel here in the armpit of America was averaging about $2.50/gal. It had risen tsteadily to about $3.60/gal, and that took about 13 months. Now, in the last 2 weeks, 3 price bumps and the average around here is $5/gal (and I live close to refineries, which is supposed to make things cheaper due to lower transportation costs).

Since the selected president came in and did everything he could to crap all over our "energy independence" (Keystone pipeline, canceling ANWAR contracts, limiting permits for gulf/offshore drilling), we went from a net exporter of oil to a net importer. Note that most of this was done via executive order (remember the video of him stating "I don't even know what I'm signing here"), and not via the legislature the way it's supposed to work. Would not be surprised to see $6/gal soon, with it being blamed on the "The Russian War" (even though we haven't shut the Russians out from Swift to keep their oil flowing here, since we screwed the pooch on importing Venezuelan oil).

Last edited:
Now I saw on TV that Biden just two hours ago imposed a ban on all energy resources from Russia. Russia has already redirected energy exports to Asia. According to analysts, the price of oil may jump to $ 300. I think the United States will be able to negotiate with Venezuela, especially since Putin and Maduro held talks on March 1.

Last edited:
How are things at the Troll Farm today? I ask just because I know that is where you work. If not, you should prove it which would be quite easy.

Yes, it is awesome that Russia is getting record high prices for oil out of a situation they created. Even more awesome is that Europe won't cut off Russian oil and gas so in effect, they are financing their own invasion.

People who are doing well will just be inconvenienced by fuel prices. I am still going to drive 6 hours for a day trip tomorrow. Next week I'll drive 14 hrs each way to get in some skiing. The people who are going to be hurt the most are in the developing countries. They will be hurt by fuel prices but also due to the fact that food will become scarce. 2 reasons for that. One is the Haber-Bosch process - it supports 3/4 of the world's population - that means 3/4 of the worlds population is fed due to inorganic fertilizer use. The main feed stock for anhydrous ammonia is natural gas - the cost of fertilizer and DEF is about to get stupid. The other ag input that will go silly is potash - it is mined in only a few places - Carlsbad, NM, Esterhazy, Canada, Russia, and Ukraine.

Personally, I am holding on to my turbo diesel cars but I am looking forward to $6 and $7 diesel so I can buy a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel truck.

I'm just waiting for Andreij to post something on Facebook.
Because Putin has absolutely not censured anything at all.

Like maybe a picture of him in a public area with 2 signs. One saying "Free Ukraine" and another saying "I'm don't mean it, just using free speech" - While holding a rainbow flag.

The thing is he won't because he is a Troll from a troll farm. His profile is probably a dozen different people over the years.

If he is on FB, then it should be easy for him to prove, just post a support the Ukraine logo on his FB page. He won't though, because he is a troll from a troll farm...

I don't think so.
He is just a completely brain washed Russian.
Plenty of those around.
None of them can post on Facebook.

Gas is up to $10/gallon here right now and rising BTW.

Last edited:
How are things at the Troll Farm today? I ask just because I know that is where you work. If not, you should prove it which would be quite easy.

Yes, it is awesome that Russia is getting record high prices for oil out of a situation they created. Even more awesome is that Europe won't cut off Russian oil and gas so in effect, they are financing their own invasion.

People who are doing well will just be inconvenienced by fuel prices. I am still going to drive 6 hours for a day trip tomorrow. Next week I'll drive 14 hrs each way to get in some skiing. The people who are going to be hurt the most are in the developing countries. They will be hurt by fuel prices but also due to the fact that food will become scarce. 2 reasons for that. One is the Haber-Bosch process - it supports 3/4 of the world's population - that means 3/4 of the worlds population is fed due to inorganic fertilizer use. The main feed stock for anhydrous ammonia is natural gas - the cost of fertilizer and DEF is about to get stupid. The other ag input that will go silly is potash - it is mined in only a few places - Carlsbad, NM, Esterhazy, Canada, Russia, and Ukraine.

Personally, I am holding on to my turbo diesel cars but I am looking forward to $6 and $7 diesel so I can buy a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel truck.
Tell me, where is trolling? I just have my own view of events in the world. I hope you won't deny the fact that Biden has just imposed a ban on energy exports from Russia?

Diesel is $1.95 litre here, seen $2.00 in other areas. I'm about to drive 160kms to go pick up a cherry picker, round trip. Got it for a week, nice run of small and medium sized jobs. Should be a good week
I've raised my travel charge.

Back