Fuel prices

That's just plain out and out price gouging, seems to me.
We have large taxing on our fuel. Voted in by our Dem majority for roads etc. Infra structure. Newsome sold it by saying it would not go toward the high speed rail. Guess what. Bull shit. More greasy palms for a train that does not exist.
First our Gov ran on would not keep building the rail. Then only a little bit of rail once elected. The no gas tax for rail. Now it goes toward it. Bunch of bullshit.
I'll see if I can find the break down of the tax structure. They printed it on out for my account at the commercial fuel stop I fill up at. Diesel taxes were insane.

Problem is that crude is a traded commodity internationally- no government action can control the price. I’m just waiting for BP, Shell etc to post huge quarterly profits which no government in the world has the balls to windfall tax

Here is a small example of my monthly break down on my charge card there.
My 91 octane for equipment is a prime example. I'll see if Ican find my cash reciept for the diesel later.
With out the taxes added in, my 5 gal can is 18.39. Add federal and state and that same can is now 22.45. This was before the huge jump. So like 1.00 per gallon more. Most of that was State sales and excise tax. 20220317_160449.jpg

We have large taxing on our fuel. Voted in by our Dem majority for roads etc. Infra structure. Newsome sold it by saying it would not go toward the high speed rail. Guess what. Bull shit. More greasy palms for a train that does not exist.
First our Gov ran on would not keep building the rail. Then only a little bit of rail once elected. The no gas tax for rail. Now it goes toward it. Bunch of bullshit.
I'll see if I can find the break down of the tax structure. They printed it on out for my account at the commercial fuel stop I fill up at. Diesel taxes were insane.
All of this may well be true, but the price at the station Frans reported is so far above what others in your state are charging that the difference surely is not based on the issues you state, Stephen.

That's why I think that specific seller is price gouging.

Maybe so. But there are more factors involved as well Burnam. Local taxes and shipping surcharges for example. And yes, captive audience, and tourist gouging.
Trucking fuel is expensive and even more so now with the higher prices. When fuel goes up, trucking adds a surcharge for the fuel cost for the delivery. Same with all trucked in items, food, feed, sundries. Fuel station up the hill damn near gets 1-2.00 more per gallon near the gates of Yosemite than my town. Same county. Some gouging, some in that it costs more to get it there and costs more to do business there. Los Angeles has higher brick and morter costs and their prices are at least a dollar more per gallon than here.
Not saying gouging does not go on. But, you have to consider every factor involved.
And that would include domestic oil production being cut back and importing it from enemy number one.

When the price increase was first starting, I found it odd that the price of e85 seemed to have swapped with regular at one particular station with e85 normally being a lot cheaper. Today I saw they are now the same price over $4/gal.

Little things like idling down the mini or chipper when stepping away for a bit go a long way toward saving fuel.

My boss always walks away with it full throttle. I used to think it got terrible "mileage" until I started idling it down more, and using half throttle unless speed was really needed. Then a tank lasts a week or so instead of a day or 2.

First of the week regular gasoline was $4.09 a gallon .Yesterday it was $3.89 .However saying that in reference to California it's not even on the same page .California is another world and always has been .I have no idea how a person could afford to live in that state .

The throttle cable broke on my Avant months ago, so I have only one speed. It looks like a complicated job to replace it. Maybe I'll just use the wheelbarrow until gas prices go down again. :/:

Now that I think about it, the throttle cable would be a major hassle to replace. The engine is on the back and the control is up front, with the body hinge in between. Can you get a generic replacement throttle cable and mount it on the back?

Maybe install a wireless control system? It might be as time consuming, but without having to take the machine apart. How much would the dealer charge to fix it?

I was off with the % of taxes. I checked again.
At the lowest during the lockdown, it was 69% for the diesel and 73% for the gas.
This automn, it was 57% and 60%
Now, it's 45% and 50%
That changes because a big part of the taxes is frozen since 2018, so the variation is mainly from the supply. If they say so...
Our gov. even makes us a gift of 0.15 euro/liter to ease the rize (taxe's part rize). Kind isn't it?

Diesel is down to $2.26 yesterday from $2.34 a day previously.
Edit : per litre

Last edited:
Today, running on about empty, 96.00 to fill our truck. 🧐 That’s crazy. Like Jonny said, time to start riding the bike.

Back