What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 509K
Today I feel very differently about MA weather versus AZ weather.

I went for a short walk to the convenience store and it was 84 degrees, but my phone says "feels like 90" with an "average of 81% humidity."

My lungs, which are so used to the dry air, feel like they are inhaling clouds with every breath and it's kind of slightly uncomfortable.

I'm sweating way more than I would for 84 in Arizona, and this humidity is...disgusting. I hate it. I can feel it in the stairwell and hallway of my complex as soon as I leave my apartment.

Apparently it will take me about an hour to get from my place to the wildlife preserve by my parent's house by train and bus. Unless this heat wave goes away, I don't see myself making any new content anytime soon.

Just two weeks ago my father was telling me how it was in the 70s. I guess I forgot how nasty a MA summer can be, too. Yuck and ick.

I taught my daughter about using a upright stick jabbed into the ground on a sunny day to determine east-west with the stick's shadow.

Turned on the A/C.
High of 97 in town.
Cooler on the peninsula by a few degrees.

Irrigating ... better late than never.

Tomorrow is an "energy savings day"...

Screenshot_2024-07-09_22-06-55.png

This stuff's written for other people. If I turned my ac up 10°, it would be at 90°. I set it to 84° when I leave, but that's as high as I'll go. I don't get much of a rebate for saving money cause I'm on the edge of comfort all year. My energy usage doesn't drop much if at all on a 'savings day'. I have very little room to pare more off. They should give me a rebate for going above and beyond every day of every year.

Hot and humid today. Walking outside was like "Oof..." as my glasses fogged up. Now, it's... not terrible honestly. There's a brisk wind, and as long as you stay in the shade and don't do anything, it could even be considered pleasant on a degraded scale.

Today it finally cooled down! It's currently 80 degrees. But it will reach 84 with an average of 88% humidity. Icky sticky yucky caca! It's going to be close to the 90's over the next few days. I thought the heat wave was going to be over on Wednesday, but it doesn't look that way. We have days close to the 90's coming up in the next week beyond Wednesday, but, starting tomorrow, humidity is supposed to plummet to an average 56% or thereabouts. Which is really nice. It rained from 1am to 1pm today, so I think that really helped.

Weather keeps changing continuously. Not only day to day but by hours. Sunny, cloudy rainy, cold, hot...
Not matter the clothes you wear, you are wrong. Silly.

Hot again today. Had a vicious little storm come through a bit ago. STRONG wind from the south, and heavy rain. First thought was "Shit... What do I have that can blow on the house?". After a mental inventory, the answer was "not much". The pin oak's a tough tree. I have a locust over there that's a little iffy, but a fall would be buffered by some evergreens. The walnuts would've probably missed. Same with branches ripped out of them. I'll have to do a property inspection tomorrow, see if anything came out of the trees.

I'd be happy to take some of that cold off your hands. I'm good with the clouds too, and since I'm such a nice guy, you can pack the rest of the box with rain. It probably won't all fit, but it should make things a little easier for you.
You can have all the rain I'm getting now! :)

If you want more rain you can have ours. Seems to rain every other night and every two weeks a nasty thunderstorm with high winds.

Yeah we got clobbered by it, 100 mph winds not too far from us. Bunch of people with no power for more than a couple days, which is very rare up here

Forecasted high of 86, before the isolated thunderstorms move in and drop the temps into the 70s. The issue has been that the systems aren't cohesive enough, patchwork sprinkles are all we've been getting, we need a proper storm and some decent rain. A good gully-washer, maybe even a frog-whalloper. Not this weekend though, I've got something going on.

Tuscon got nailed. They took all the moisture and did not leave enough for you.
Always noticed the monsoons were progressive. They dump moisture, and pick it back up. Progressing further North as the season progressed. Took a while to get up into the high country.

We have the opposite here. The storms start up in high country where there is still moisture and work back down hill as they spread the moisture... seemingly.

Last edited:
Treebilly, you still with us? That last storm Monday night was a doozy.
Barely got anything here. Came down decently hard for an hour while on the job yesterday. Just happened to be a job that we had to haul away a dirt mound as part of it. I had half of it gone when the rain started. Rained enough to make it a sloppy mess.

A bit cooler today but still hot and humid.

Back