Tree felling vids

True that. They got a hard job done with what they had. Give them credit for that. Easy to armchair.. hard to be there and do the work.

That was embarrassing to watch. I had to stop the clip twice, walk away and chill a bit, before continuing.

But like Jer says, they got it. Lucky to have done so, imo. Proper tools, that's a 15 minute job.

Last edited:
Me too. Cant see how it would hurt anything.

I think they were definetly arbs not fallers
At least out of their lane fallers.

Biggest I've done was 7'. A 50" or 60" cannon bar made it easy enough.

Full-gap face with a snipe might have been way easier.
Right size bars, easier still.

Still not 15 minutes, in my estimation.

Shouldn't have been 10 hours.

If there is a constant in this game, it’s that people constantly underestimate the weight of the ‘crown break’ of a trunk like this.
Guys face says it all.

In such scenarios I've always wondered why the operators never let the work go. I mean, let the winch free-spool. Either way something is going to get damaged, but least you'll save the rig, and anything it could have damaged as a result.

I guess mentally, after years of training, it's hard to just let go willy nilly.

In such scenarios I've always wondered why the operators never let the work go. I mean, let the winch free-spool. Either way something is going to get damaged, but least you'll save the rig, and anything it could have damaged as a result.

I guess mentally, after years of training, it's hard to just let go willy nilly.
I always told the Ground that if the rare occurrence that something is somehow totally f ucked up to the point of someone mebbee getting hurt ... Let go of the rope

How about a super strong spring loaded knife to cut the cable. Hit the panic button and drop the load. But what would that do to the crane to release all that tension? Sling shot it over backwards?
I saw video of the proof load of a new crane, huge crane 3800 ton or some other massive number, that shot over backwards. I believe the main hook broke.

I strongly doubt you can free spool the winch, plus of course it would perhaps endanger the climber more than a tip over. I'll ask my crane guy.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking free spooling probably not an option. Even if you could, the rat nest of cable may just hang up like a bait casting real?

Last edited:
I'm not an operator so i don't know for sure, but i think most modern cranes, especially hydraulic ones, are not able to free fall the load. Free falling is very very hard on a crane, and the jobs that would require that like demo work are considered duty cycle work, and can only be done by lattice boom cranes because of the rapid unloading that would whip a cantilever boom to pieces.

For some reason I can't edit from my phone right now. But it was a 5500 ton lift that failed and shot the crane over backwards. A Liebherr (sp?) Lattice crane on a ship. It folded the boom over lile a paperclip.

Probably old news for everyone here, but I thought this was pretty cool. Kinda limited utility where I'm at, but every so often it could be used...

Back