Tree felling vids

I guess it was meant to fall away from the camera? The two options are it fell where it was aimed(face is underneath), or the face is opposite the camera. You can see the rest of the stem with no face.

Looking at second video, it would appear they were trying to drop it out into the open forest, but the rot/defect (which Mick pointed out, not wedges) caused it to give way almost 90 degrees to the left of the lay as the jack lifted it, causing their 3-car calamity. Still looking like rocket scientists for not at least guy-lining it as Gerry and others mentioned.

I was getting ready to post when you did. I grabbed it with youtube-dl, and it brought the other vid in as well. When things started not working, it would have been a good idea to clear the area, and maybe do some thinking about how to proceed.

No sound holding wood lost her 90* to the lay is my guess. Or that and he cut thru his far corner. But, rot is my guess.
It looked real dead from my recliner and I would have a line or two in it with the jack.

In the opening photo of the vid, it definetly looks like there is a line tied around the base of the butt and traveling upwards, as it if did indeed have a line somewhere up in the tree, one end tied off near the base, other end tied off to give some pull

Last edited:
Or move the cars.
One strict rule we adhere to at my company.
Move anything that can be moved, before falling a tree that can reach it.

I have too many stories of loggers hitting their own or a workmate's truck, because they trusted too much in their own skills or simply were lazy.
100%.. if it's got wheels move it!!! pretty simple

Maybe it's just me but that is kind of embarrassing. They used a chainsaw for a springboard. And broke multiple ropes pulling with a pickup truck. I have heard Jerry and Burnham talk about using cable and real metal (dozer?) to pull big trees. Then the last shot shows it was about a 50' spar/stub. Couldn't they have used a jack with better effect? Maybe their short saws left some internal posts that were hard to break. Dumb armchair Georgia boy asking.

To me the danger of breaking ropes is that it might set up a whiplash effect where when the tree resists the truck direction and the rope breaks...that could let the tree spring back in the opposite direction and break the hinge and then lose the tree 180 degrees to the intended direction.

I thought it was a clever improvised springboard.

You know it's a big, heavy bar when it has a helper handle. Never seen one used for felling in the modern times.

10 hours to fell...wow.

To me the danger of breaking ropes is that it might set up a whiplash effect where when the tree resists the truck direction and the rope breaks...that could let the tree spring back in the opposite direction and break the hinge and then lose the tree 180 degrees to the intended direction.
Always have tightly driven wedges.

Back