Tree felling vids

Sounds like he's doing well, all things considered. That could have gone a lot worse leaving him alive, but much less functional. Probably in for a lifetime of pain at various levels though.

Reactions: Jed
That why we are porting away in clandestine shops @Jed 😃! We just procured a processing job so I will finally be able to test the JEDI sqr/sqr in some decent size timber. Looks like some ash will be going under the knife

Those who've seen it must wonder why I'm still trying to see it.

No go on the right click, I just get a dark screen with the triangular Play icon in the middle of it with a slash mark thru it, as in No Play

You saved it to your computer, opened it with a video player, and it still doesn't work? You must be missing a codec to play it. I didn't think that was a thing anymore. VLC should play it OOTB if you wanted to install that.

From TCIA accident briefs

In Brownsville, TN, a bucket operator died when his chain saw kicked back into his neck. An eyewitness said he was cutting a branch one-handed with his left hand. The branch was just above his head. As he turned to throw the cut branch, the saw glanced off the tree limb and kicked back, striking the victim. He slumped down in the bucket. By the time co-workers were able to lower the victim and extract him from the bucket (it took four people, a forklift and a rope to do so), he had expired.

the tree in that video twisted slightly before the but kicked out away from the cutter. Looks like he simply did not have enough pull on the line and kept cutting due to inexperience.. that was a hard way to learn. It almost looks as if he pushed the but away fro himself, but unlikely that he was able to move such a big piece by hand. More likely the angle of the cut was planing it out in that direction. any thoughts on the exact mechanics of that fail?

Too many guys don't know when to stop cutting. They try to stay with it and cut it off he stump as it is going over as if the hinge won't break or something. I saw someone do it recently, so I waved for the guy on the machine to go faster so he would outrun the sawyer who seemed determined to race the machine. about half way over he jumped back at it as if trying to make sure it got cut off the stump or something.

There might be a lesson here, maybe. I'm speculating, but not without some experience, and having played this game with some serious skin in.

If the faller has no pull machine, he/she/they (:D) must absolutely and accurately mix many factors as the back cut progresses...lean direction, wedge pressure currently applied and yet available.

When to progress the backcut, when to lay off, when to drive the wedges some more.

With the pulling machine on call...well, frankly, it takes little skill to wave the beast forward.

How the heck can a faller learn the nuances of the art if all you do is wave the operator into motion when your cuts fail to do the deed?

On the other hand, you could just make the job as simple, safe and efficient as possible. I'm guessing the faller in hindsight would have prefered to have a machine on the end of the rope rather than be without and end up in a wheelchair.

What makes you think there was no machine on the end of that pull rope?

I surely don't know, and did not see any reference to it one way or the other...but that pull rope was tensioned mighty heavily, which makes me wonder what was on the end of it.

Seems less likely to be people power than your vaunted skid-steer or other.

But I do not know, and have no way to. You may be correct, Daniel. But if you are, I still maintain that skill alone is better than power alone, in these circumstances.

Best of all, of course, is equal measure of both.

One thing is clear.. he had no business making that cut at height. While I agree that skill is more valuable than power, power offers the potential to do many jobs in a way that could not be done otherwise, no matter what the level of skill. Looks like he lacked both in equal measure. That video should be required for all newbies to watch. Let them know the consequences of getting into something over your head.

Yep. And I got the email from the incident Murphy mentioned. That one was in my head all day today as I was a one handing mofo for 8 straight hours. Hard not to when you have a tiny little area to put a big ass tree in. Way to many wires for any type of rigging. MAD was 2’6”. Hard to do when the secondaries are supported by the tree. Anyhow, I take these incidents to heart and it makes me work safer even if I don’t follow all the rules

Something was pulling actively on the rope. What, I don't know for sure, but the rope was wavy and the crown shacked. The cutting by the climber couldn't do that. It's like an irregular machine pull ( by small touches on the clutch or lack of grip on the ground) or the usual way a come-along works (pull-stay-pull-stay...).

any thoughts on the exact mechanics of that fail?
As I see it, when he cut the hinge, the left corner let go and transfered the weight of the crown on the right corner, which acted like a pivot (already cut or not).
First the crown went sideway as the usual tree when the hinge is lost. Then, or almost at the same time, the crown rotated between the hight point of the rope and the right corner of the hinge, droved by the big limb on the right moving toward the back (a transitory lower and more stable position for it). So the center of gravity moved more outward and to the back, behind the line "rope's tip --- hinge's right corner", while the trunk tilted out of axis. At this moment the pivot point at the right corner gave up (broke the last fibers or just lost the friction from the weigh) and the butt slided on the bottom cut forward and sideway, pushed by the COG shifting behind the rope's tip.

Something like that.

Last edited:
Yo, we discussed this vid and it's author before, but now I see it has 1.8 million views.

WHAT!!!

A tree vid with 1.8 m views??!!??

And another one of his with > half million views??

And the kid has sponsorships for anti balding cream and home security systems??!!??

WTF? It just doesn't add up, to me.

I mean, are we gonna see this YouTube tree personality signing up to fight conor McGregor next in a celebrity PPV mega event?

Back