Tree felling vids

...I'll use a Hayauchi in the tree if needed, if the Fiskars doesn't do the job first.
Being Small works some days...and then there are cherry picker days

Sure is.
Too bad that it is way beyond your skill level with a saw.

Hey Stig I only saw the first video when Daniel posted it (he added the second later). I'm interested in what you think of the overall quality/comments on the second one. Thx in advance.

I hadn't seen the second one either.
Seemed like an awful lot of farting about.
For my taste anyway.

But what does a Beech faller know about Redwood.
He got it where he wanted it.

This one has been getting a lot of play. At least the accident snippet. Incident set up and such starts about 17:45. Whole vid just is painful to watch. But watching it, kinda can see into the life of the guy, some insight. Not graphic painful. Just, ya know, doood.
Anyway, poor Nate.

It has played out over multiple platforms. I got up this morning and saw he’d been ‘live’ with August on Instagram.

I don’t know if that was an attempt to save his IG career with a crossover or what.

I would have thought shutting your accounts and getting on with your job as a climber was the obvious thing to do.
Either he doesn’t want to lose any money he gets from his account or can’t bear the loss of prestige/likes.

He has taken a battering in more than one way that’s for sure.

A lesson for him and all of us.
(but especially for him!)

I get a weird vibe from watching that video. Like he is either doing drugs or has done lots of them in the past. Could not watch the whole thing... Jumped through it here and there. I saw the accident and he screwed the pooch on that one. But have you read the comments after the video? Almost 100% positive support to him. Makes me wonder if he deletes negative comments.

How does that video compare to day to day treework? It strikes me as an honest representation of mediocre work by a large part of the workforce. Not that great, but no major disasters either. Just muddling the way through the job. I don't know nothin' but what particularly stood out to me was multiple cuts and manpower to get branches freed. That seemed particularly amateurish.

@ 18:05 Don't blame Nate... no reason to be there... you pulled it right onto yourself... that is one situation where the climber made the mistake of putting himself NEEDLESSLY in harm's way. When I used to climb I could count on one hand the number of times in a year I NEEDED the groundie to let it run for my safety. You did not have a good body position relative to the cut and the rigging. You can either move yourself or set the rigging differently, whichever is safer and easier. We call that a free lesson. thanks for sharing.. anytime a little mishap or close call happens, or even just something unexpected, everyone could benefit from paying attention to those little mistakes and taking corrective action before something really BAD happens. those are the little warnings along the way. When your first inclination is to blame someone else, there is going to be a tendency to minimize your own responsibility. When that happens you are so busy blaming others that you won't do the self-reflection needed to learn every possible lesson from this event. Run that scenario over in your head 1000 times if that's what it takes to figure out how you could have handled it differently and rewind the scene until you find that little voice in your head that said "this is not right". So next time that same little voice pops up, you'll recognize it before you make a bad move. Thanks for sharing and I hope that wasn't too harsh on you. After taking another look at the video you took that hit right after you said with a cavalier attitude, "once I cut it, it's their problem", which comes off as mildly self-centered, like you really don't care much about the ground crew, but who's to say for sure because every climber has to be mildly self-centered for his own survival. Then you say "once I cut it the strap is going to come right out here (placing your hand right about the centerline of your torso) so I just gotta beware". So you knew it was coming right at you, but you made the cut anyway... That's cause for some serious self-reflection. Are you really that spacy or careless? Are you playing for the camera in a way that takes you off your game? The bottom line is you should have been pushing that piece away from your body instead of pulling it towards yourself. "Why is there two guys on the rope?" .. because you didn't bother to look down see that there were two guys on the rope. That's your a$$ in the saddle.. who are you trusting your life to these days?

All the above is accurate, but one thing about the vid, seeing treework from that perspective with those cameras, tends to make treework look (more) interesting. I'm thinking about that earlier today as I was taking down an 85' black birch with compromised base near street wires, and all my cuts just looked like cuts like every other day, they weren't "interesting":|: .

Maybe that's why Travor thinks we will care about his brand of coffee and coffee mug, cuz it will look interesting in a vid format...:|:

Maybe that's why Travor thinks we will be interested in his brand of coffee and coffee mug, cuz it will look interesting in a vid format...
I was thinking endorsements and free stuff. Who knows... I don't really get the video thing. I'm not big on watching them, and I certainly wouldn't enjoy making them, even if I were doing interesting stuff. It's just more crap to distract from the job at hand. I just want to do my thing, and get out.

I haven't watched many of his vids but have seen some, and I'm always amazed at the time he spends smoking and futzing with his phone, shit would drive me insane

Back