Tree felling vids

Nice.

You looked well equipped. Is the buff for covid or warmth?

Wood and bark dust.

I left the front one standing on wedges, barely not tipping, No wind, in case the back was being a problem, due to entanglement in the neighboring maple.
I had a pole hook to push a running bowline on the front, then would have taken some high wraps on the rear, as a tow line.

Attachments

• 20210202_103832.jpg
    18.6 MB · Views: 21
Hundo :lol:

Really nice sender Sean.:thumbup:

I get it that the fiber is way stronger in the sapwood, but won’t a guy get a ton more out of his wedges if he leaves his heartwood and just cuts up his holding wood finer old school?

My wedges were too deep.

Had I stuck to mediums, I would have considered it, and likely cut it up thinner.

If it was a green, healthy fir, I would have waited to drive the wedges until cut up to a heavy 1" hinge.

I get it that the fiber is way stronger in the sapwood.
The structure of the fibers of the sapwood does not make it stronger than heartwood. I've been trying to tell folks here and elsewhere that for years. There is no science that I've ever seen to back that claim up. There may be some empirical evidence for the tendency in SOME SPECIES, but as a general rule, it's a complete fallacy. The reason sapwood APPEARS to be stronger than heartwood, is not due to its structure, but its geography. Its position simply gives it more leverage to fight side lean than heartwood has. That huge difference is unquestionably supported by the laws of physics. When you think about it the main function of a hinge is to fight side lean. So when we talk about "stronger", we really mean better able to fight side lean. If you get my drift...

ps... good to hear from you Jed, hope you and the family are doing well.

Maybe sapwood is stretchier and more flexible making it act stronger asa well as being younger, so it hasn't had time to loose strength from various changes over time. But maybe some wood gets stronger with age?

live or dead, decaying from inside or out, species etc is going to make a difference, but I have yet to see any science to support the theory. The physics on the other hand is so simple, it's unarguable. And I've seen it firsthand over and over in examining the fibers of broken hinges. Can we all agree that the longest fibers in a severed hinge show the area where the hinge held best? Based on that proposition, I've seen the center of the hinge hold as well or better than the sapwood in the majority of cases.

live or dead, decaying from inside or out, species etc is going to make a difference, but I have yet to see any science to support the theory. The physics on the other hand is so simple, it's unarguable. And I've seen it firsthand over and over in examining the fibers of broken hinges. Can we all agree that the longest fibers in a severed hinge show the area where the hinge held best? Based on that proposition, I've seen the center of the hinge hold as well or better than the sapwood in the majority of cases.

One thing I have noticed is felling spruce (Ok I am not a forester) but have knocked over quite a few. One sizeable job we did was removing a large number of trees so had a chance to compare different techniques.

Normal face cut and nipping the sides, or sapwood a couple of inches, would push over a hell of a lot easier than say boring the hinge in the centre of the face by the same amount. SO by that logic the sapwood would be stronger, would it not?

This is just on standard trees, similar diameter with little to no lean.

Last edited:
Murphy has always had a bee in his bonnet about this, claiming the exact opposite of what everybody else are saying.
That is why I asked him to post the Swedish study again.

Stig: Please understand that this question comes from a position of sincere ignorance... are Sweeds deemed by the rest of Scandinavia to have counter-conventional opinions?

Hell, no.

This is actually a funny story.
Last time we had a merry go 'round about hinge wood fibers, the Murphadite as usual went to war, believing the exact opposite of everybody else.
I mean, EVERYBODY!!!
Anybody you can name figures that sap wood has better hinge quality than heartwood.
Not the Murph, of course.
So when I finally backed him up in a corner, he showed a Swedish study, that proved him right.

Well, Murphy can't read Swedish ( I can!!!!!!) so the study turned out to be about something completely else ( I can't remember what), the Murph had just looked at the pretty pictures.

That is why, whenever he starts getting stupid about hinge wood, I ask him to show the Swedish study.:lol:

Normal face cut and nipping the sides, or sapwood a couple of inches, would push over a hell of a lot easier than say boring the hinge in the centre of the face by the same amount. SO by that logic the sapwood would be stronger, would it not?

That's an interesting observation. We need to be careful in drawing generalized conclusions from specific scenarios. There may be certain species that have stronger holding ability in sapwood than heartwood and vice versa. There are a lot of variables. It would be nice to see some conclusive science. One thing that cannot be argued and that we do not need science to prove, when common sense will do, is that the hinge fibers in sapwood is better positioned than heartwood to fight the leverage of side lean, by its geography.

And I wonder does making a hinge harder to trip mean greater control from hinge fibres... that's the kind of thing that could end being counter-intuitive as are many other aspects of tree work.

It won't play pour moi. Any other ways to access?

Right click the video link, pick "save link as" or whatever your browser says, then open it with the video player of your choice. I like vlc.

Back