Tree felling vids

Likely not a lock to hurt the saw, I just wouldn't do it to mine.

Felled my first palm today. Ready for y'all to critique it.. Have at 'er!

Nice!
The 'dust' is normal from felling palms...all you get is a lot of glop and sludge...no real chips. His chain is fine.
Bet you could feel the 'settle' when you put the back cut in...am I right?
If the palm is any bigger I will bore through the hinge before starting the back cut...less fibre to cut through to get it to go over, less 'settle'...if you don't have a pull line, you better have a wedge handy...split level back cut comes in handy to beat the 'settle' too, gives you time to set a wedge.

Cutting up the top is a pain as well, cutting through the dried frond bases...all the loose fibre, then the saw pinching bulk of the stem.

TreeReb is right, clean that saw immediately or at worst the same day...palm sap will rust your chains and eat through the housings quicker that you would think possible. I've cut palms and a few hrs later go to clean them and the chain is already rusty...mind you in Bermuda there is a LOT of salt about too.

That roller tube idea is clever. I'm keeping my eyes out for an old tent pole now.

And yes, Ryan, I cringed when I saw the climber carrying his chainsaw horizontally from his saddle. That would drive me crazy.

LMAO :lol:

Reminds me of one night when I was about 18. I have never been a homophobe. But this particular night, me and my best buddy got talked into going to the roller rink with his two hot sisters. They neglected to inform us it was gay night (yes folks... on roller skates). OMG was it funny... but everytime my butt ever gets pinched, I do a double take to make sure who it is... LOL

The Rollo Tube is a fiber glass rod, coated to avoid splinters, with a tinny lanyard mounted on a small self rewinder. Its diameter is the chain's width or just a little less. It avoids the log pinching the saw, like a wedge, and allows the log to roll on it for easy pushing out of the spar.

Make your cut until just before the log tends to settle, between 3/4 and 4/5. Push in the kerf the Rollo Tube, at the log's diameter, perpendicular to the bar, with its end near the sawchain. Finish the cut, and push the log, at the same time, pull out the chainsaw (or just catch it when the falling log frees it). Don't worry for the RolloTube, it's secured to the saddle.
Like in the vid, if you make a slanted cut, you even don't have to push the log ( but that gives odd shaped logs for fire wood, though).

Hevea is a french gear seller for tree climbers. They have a dream team with top end arborists to develop new gear. That's under the trade "FTC" which you saw heart pulsing with the hevea logo in the vid. FTC means French Touch Concept.

Time to time, they makes a promotional vid on a big job ... like this one.

... or this one :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H19wpktVxoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Must have been for promotional reasons, since there looked to be plenty of room to fall most if not all of it.

Excellent quality video...truly fun to watch. Definitely a BIG tree.

Those spurs had grip/teeth on the bottom...good idea.

Whats up with the double prussics, one on each leg of the rope, never seen that, wonder what the advantages are?

I've seen it on some long flip lines when people were climbing large trees, older photos. There is a quick shot of the spurs, an advertisement of sorts. It shows something like serrated teeth on them.

Whats up with the double prussics, one on each leg of the rope, never seen that, wonder what the advantages are?
They promote this technique to climb easier and faster in Ddrt, as fast and efficient as SRT with the initial setup for ddrt access and more secure than a prussic alone tied around the both legs of the climb line. An other advantage is to be able of either fast downing in emergency or fine tuning your position if you have to work during the ascent. There are other possibilities like working in the crown, not only for the access.

This climbing technique won 4 years the french arborists challenge.

Here is the advertising for their DVD about it. (look only 0 to 3:45, after it's the same vid again 2 times)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNLhGDXEbc&feature=youtu.be

Interesting vids Marc-Antoine, thanks for posting those. The double prussic thing is a bit much for my simple mind, but I'm still digging that rollo tube.

Thanks very much for that, Marc, that double prussic looks very interesting and very simple yet different, good stuff!!

Back