Tree felling vids

The fibers in palm bind a bar notoriously. And even with a sharp chain you have to force the cut most of the time. Even more so in the larger diameter species like the Phoenix palms.

It's the nature of the beast.

Climbed to set the rigging, can't think of a way of doing it from the ground. Only took about 15 minutes though.

I was quietly confident, I used a 16mm double braid rope , although there was a fair shock load the rope could handle it. Glad the owner of the greenhouse under the tree wasn't watching though.

I like the little gizmo, roll tube, you can see clearly at about 5:30.... I like it's simplicity... anyone ever use one?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsa5yjt_k7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I think he could have used someone better on the ropes though.

Some cute French style widgets in part one as well.

Was that a solid nylon throw weight?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QspZJoBRBXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They did some nice editing and had some interesting equipment thats for sure... On of those double level GRCS things, com sets etc..

It looked like a training situation to be honest.

Few things I didn't understand with part two of the video - why rig some and bomb bigger pieces onto the same turf (unseen hazards below, I assume), why take 3 tries at a face (first sawyer gave up?) and then zoom in on the glaring dutchman to fell <10' of stump onto the pie and 2 light branches that were intentionally placed (keep it from rolling I guess) and why hang a climbing saw from your saddle so the bar sits under your buttcheeks (personal preference?) Maybe a training situation like bonner suggested? Easy for me to nitpick a treejob way above my skillset but this is the internet after all.

Yeah, the roll tube was my main interest... I like the carbon fiber pole idea Pete. Probably have some kkicking about in the shed from an old tent....
Throw weight caught my eye as well in part 1 at 51 sec in, found it... Rubber with steel inside. Meteor. Tad pricey but looks bullet proof.
wum35_meteor_350g.jpg

Surprised he footlocked up, with all that gear he likes, but no ascenders?:|:?

Glad it wasn't my saw the guy kept slamming on top of the spar.

Looked decent overall but not top shelf work like some that can be found online.

I didn't notice the slamming aspect of the saw being placed on top of the spar...it caught my attention as an efficient way to use momentum to get it up there rather than hossing it back up. It was a fair sized saw.

Was that enough of a hard landing to hurt the saw?

Back