Tree felling vids

Fiona, because I thought he was going to snap the rope. Typically, I leave the last stem uncut, and use the line to then do a controlled fell. I would also usually be using a timber winch and steel cable, not rope. My driver got a bit enthusiastic about shaking the last tree down, and I was concerned he might break the line. As it was, it went fine.

Run behind them all at an angle and then tight lined?
Got it in 1 Willie.

Now that is tree felling at its finest.

I once fell seven redwoods in a row. They were all limb-locked, and went all at once. Not as cool as that.

Thanks Jerry, you are too kind. They were just pecker poles really, about 12 - 18" dia, and about 50' high.

Felled my first palm today. Ready for y'all to critique it.. Have at 'er!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hLsZ1xlWuW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, or maybe your bar needs dressed. Something wasn't right with the saw. Otherwise it looked alright

There's a few tricks felling queen and cocas palms. A sharp saw is one and make sure you clean it, they eat Stihls.

If you're going to be doing a lot buy something plastic. I use Shindaiwa on them, good saws.

I thought it looked dull on the first cut, but ok on the second.

Shindaiwa make some great saws, very reliable and quick easy starting, nary a hiccup. Nothing to complain about in the power department, quite decent. I haven't used any new models.

It all came down fine in the end. Well matched cuts and hinge size/ shape.

I was noticing that you were having trouble getting the chain to bite. I didn't know if it was the high angle of the face cut, in part, if palms have grain similar to a tree, that was causing you not to get good cutting, or if it was the b/c. With that steep of a face cut, you may not have been able to get any bite with your dogs (no substitute if your b/c is not set up right). Looked like it may have been leaning away from the house (or did you have a rope in it, out of view?), and not needed such a wide open face. Wide face cuts are good thing to use when you are fighting side lean and want the hinge to control the fall direction for a longer period of time, or to make it easier to check for a bypass cut/ dutchman, but not necessary for seeing them. If there is not side lean to resist, momentum takes it down where you need with a 30-45 degree face, no problem, most often.

Good to get away from the stump in case it rolled funny or bounced back.

I thought you were supposed to use a clawhammer to wedge it over with, if you are a true professional arborist?

It was very alive.

I never have gotten good chips off a palm. I sorta think that part was normal.

The tree was standing straight up.

We had a rope tied at the base, went up through canopy, and down to a z-rig (with pullies). Not having felled a palm before, I wanted everything possible to make sure it did what I wanted!

Stupid thing cost $60 at the dump!

love
nick

Only time I cut palm was in Death Valley NP, growing in a desert spring above the ranger's house. Invasive date palms if I recall correctly (probably planted once upon a time by the NPS). Very wet and stringy chips that kept clogging the saw to the point of having to frequently clean them out from under the side cover with a scrench. The water level in the spring pool rose day by day as a dozen or so thick palms went away. Thankfully, no palms to speak of up here, just a few small ornamentals.

So nobody burns palm for heat down there, eh?

Back