Tree felling vids

Yes, the double prussik looks interesting, lucky I can understand a bit of French!
Question, what length of climbing line would be needed to work a big tree like that...just the normal 120'/150' (35-45m)?
I would assume one would have to keep a good eye out for the changing length of each leg as different positions are attained switching from using both prussiks to using one side..

This one has great footage of felling, hauling, processing, yarding, piling, etc....stuff I have not seen before.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PcEto_Q8MlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are some beautiful hinges shown there, and some great slabs coming off the saw, huge and clear. I loved seeing movies like this in junior high wood shop class, thanks for posting, Gary.

I wonder who the narrator in the film was, he seemed to do a lot of those instructional movies. Nice distinct voice, it made the activity seem important. I dunno about that job stacking the boards on top with the automatic lift.....

haha...that stacking job got my attention, too.

One of those spars slid down that Humboldt perfectly, like a sliding board...cool to see.

Ted deserved the credit!

I wonder if those old timers ever looked at the magnificent slabs coming off the saw with their continuous grain, and thought to themselves that turning them into 2x4s was a waste?

Cant find much out about Ted, which makes me think it is probably a specific style of narration that they all strived to achieve, a bit like the BBC accent from the same period.

Ted deserved the credit!

I wonder if those old timers ever looked at the magnificent slabs coming off the saw with their continuous grain, and thought to themselves that turning them into 2x4s was a waste?

You mean those same oldtimers who turned purpleheart into railroad ties?

Doubt it.

Richard, my South African partner; told me that at one time they took up an abandoned railroad near his uncle's house in SA. His uncle told the railroad company that he'd take the ties up for them, if he could keep them.
They thought he was the worst kind of fool.
Those ties were straightgrained Burma teak, he remilled it and made good money out of it.

You might be right, Peter. Different people training for a certain voice inflection makes them sound much the same. It's a calming voice, like G.F. Beranek.

Nothing too exciting ...
A site clearance job I've been helping out on.
I'm a climber, not a logger so...have mercy :lol:

Thanks Nick for the tips about the cam ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ovMVqW_IQiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back