Tree felling vids

It looks like a twin tree. The first one is already gone. It isn't clearly shown, but I guess that he cut above the junction point between the two stumps.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. While agree he's cutting with only one arm, it appears to me that he may have the other arm inside his shirt, possibly strapped to his torso due to an injury?

I sure don't know, but that's what it looks like to me. If one has to work to eat and keep a roof over your head even when hurt badly, one might do many things that otherwise seem crazy.

I've been rooting and skimming around in BBR's old and some new stuff.

I'll be dipped. Counterintuitive and his terminology is weird, but I've seen him do it enough times now. I think I'd call it "steering with the back cut - early".

Instead of jacking it up with a a wedge from the low side, he's releasing tension "cutting the guy wires" on the opposite side of the lay and letting it lean in...undercut also has to kinda get under the center of gravity.

I’d be obliged if you’d look around mine
Don't take it personally David...but I'm just not into this.

I'll search a subject I want some info on; YT is great for helping know how things are put together and how repairs are made...saves me time and false starts.

But just because I get some help from some guy about how to get the dash apart on my Tundra, it does not follow that I wish to see more of that poster's stuff.

That's just me, blame it on me being an old curmudgeon :). You have found many interesting posts to link for us, and I have enjoyed them, also your own. But it is just not something I have time or interest for myself.

Last edited:
I share Burnham's view of it. Maybe a couple times a year I'll watch several videos in a row of someone I think is doing/saying something interesting, but it's usually just a tool to get something done. Even with that, I usually prefer text and a few pics. It can be useful to judge the force necessary to do stuff though. First time I went to change the headlights in the old Dodge, I took the screws out and the unit wouldn't budge. I looked up a video to see what I was doing wrong. Turns out it's just a bastard for some reason, and you have to to pry the housing off the truck. That was a useful video.

That's another part of the thing I have with YT...there are as many people posting on the platform that are putting out incorrect information about their subject as there are who are on the ball. Maybe more.

When I get into a certrain thing, I get real into it. I dig and dig and study and watch and read. So I’m subbed to a bunch of tree fallers n stuff. I skip a lot of vids and skip thru a lot. I dig up old threads on forums. The longer I go the less I find new stuff. I need to just get out and get more trigger time, repetitive motion. Hence tonight’s redneck welding project. 😆 occasionally I will sit down and relax and watch a YT’r that I just enjoy “hanging out with virtually” usually Walt “afleetcommand”. I also like hanging with woodchuck460 on instagram. I don’t have friends that share my current interest locally, so I get that here in the internets.

I also use YT for help with other stuff. When I was a kid we didn’t have it. I bought a paper repair Manual for every vehicle I worked on.

Chilton manuals sucked. Their pictures looked like they were taken through a dirty window with a potatocam. Haynes were good manuals. The Volkswagon Idiots Guide was the paragon of repair manuals. Hand drawn pictures that made everything easy to see, and interesting tips and anecdotes spread throughout, so the manual was actually fun to read.

That's another part of the thing I have with YT...there are as many people posting on the platform that are putting out incorrect information about their subject as there are who are on the ball. Maybe more.
Good point.
My nephew and my new groundsman (29 and 19 respectively) use it all the time to repair stuff and find out how something works to good effect. They seem better than us (older sorts) at sifting through the rubbish to get to the relevant vids.

Back