Tree felling vids

I'm pretty sure that making an error like that hasn't been addressed...and it is surely no different with a conventional face that the same mistake has been made on. It is one of the most common errors in forming a correct face.

Any tree that has somewhat flexible and strong fiber, like most western conifers both alive and fairly recent dead :), will not break the hinge until the face closes whether that face is narrow or wide. Not that that observation changes your point @davidwyby. The gun will still be affected.

I also think that if your mistake is consistent, you can learn to not make it fairly easily.

But even so, I believe it's an easy thing to fix that after you knock the face piece out.

I'm pretty sure that making an error like that hasn't been addressed...and it is surely no different with a conventional face that the same mistake has been made on. It is one of the most common errors in forming a correct face.

I think conventionals tend to be more open, easier to see and line up cuts on, and easier to notice a bad face and fix. I also think have the sloping cut off on a conventional is less likely to buck the tree sideways than if it’s in the stump.

🤔 I think there is a “good” side to the coin as well…that transitional point between the hinge flexing and the face closing to the face being closed and the hinge converting to pulling steers the tree. If one does get it right, there is more assurance of hitting the desired lay.
Any tree that has somewhat flexible and strong fiber, like most western conifers both alive and fairly recent dead :), will not break the hinge until the face closes whether that face is narrow or wide. Not that that observation changes your point @davidwyby. The gun will still be affected.

With the stuff I usually cut, I’m happy if the face gets half way closed before the hinge breaks 😆
I also think that if your mistake is consistent, you can learn to not make it fairly easily.

But even so, I believe it's an easy thing to fix that after you knock the face piece out.
Yes and yes, just gap the other side…square ground chain FTW!

Idk, humboldts can be seen into, if you look.

You get good at what you do.

I just dumped a big, dead fir with sweep. My gunning cut was below horizontal to cut perpendicular to fiber.
I came out overshooting on the conventional cut. Beat the face out with an ax. May have pulled a little. Dunno. The lay was 20⁰ wide or more, so not tight.

Last edited:
Shaving hinge-bark down to wood is a help for beginners.

When in obstacle- rich areas, when having to strongly wedge rotten or dead trees, along with split-prone trees, I'll frequently shave bark to watch what the wood is doing, where cracks are developing, watching for tensile failure (better term, anyone?) of the hinge from lifting without enough tipping/rotating of the log, etc.

Back