Tree felling vids

He matched his cuts up nicely. Probably has it's place as a specialty cut, but I don't see how you could log a woods doing that. There's no control over the tree. Every tree will go where it wants to go, so there's a 1:36 chance of it being where the faller wants it to go assuming 10° is acceptable precision.

I think this has been discussed before.
Iirc it was a guy cutting high value walnut or similar, nice if it works, you’d need a tree with just the right lean.
I shan’t be bothering.

Last edited:
@davidwyby There hasn't been a clearcut on the Mt. Hood NF in over 25 years. Most western federal timberlands, it's the same. It's ALL selective cutting.

And I will promise you, no one is doing it without face cuts. The trees HAVE to be placed in the proper lays, lean be damned.

Otherwise, on the short ground we have here, you get far too many broken trees to be acceptable. Plus, to keep collateral damage to the remaining stand in check, both in the felling and to be able to remove the logs.

I have a very hard time believing that most "eastern" fallers are not using face cuts. But I do not know, so cannot argue otherwise.

I can only comment on the clearing I see, which is mostly the same guy/company, but also some others of unknown origin. It's pretty much all standard face cuts. This is both for getting it all done and gone(timber value is a lesser concern), and cutting for timber value.

Just tells me he cant make a low Humboldt when I see shitty sawyer practices such as that.
Probably more than a few guys "back East" that have the scars to prove those practices are not all that, then assigned nick names like one leg Reggie.....

Back