Tree felling vids

Nice vid. I wonder if he could have used that side slip cut posted 3w ago. Probably more risky but maybe a time saver (which, when working around structures is of course usually not worth it)

It's probably good to know for that one out of a couple times in your life when it's just the cut you need to get a job done. It also looks fun to cut, and would be a good trick to impress the natives.

I saw one where the tree was between two buildings, tight. No room for a tether. Tethering to the stump would probably have been too slack. Faller was more of a faller than an arborist. He made his key long and it seated well. Pine wiggled on landing but the butt didn’t go anywhere. Maybe I’ll try to find it.

Only other thing I could see is wide open gap face in hingy green wood that held to the ground. Or lag bolt metal hinges to the sides of the tree…

…or piece/crane it down so it’s a non issue.

That’s the only real use I’ve seen for it and it’s a narrow range of use. Well, maybe for dead wood that doesn’t hinge too.

I've thought that "if" the situation ever presented itself where it necessitated keeping a tree from rolling that I would not only cut the clearance for the bottom of the tongue, but take the time to drill with my 7/8" bit through and slam a piece of tree rod through the pivot point so it would actually be a hinge... and, if it didn't all just explode perhaps the tree wouldn't be able to throw forward.

It'd be a fun experiment on a tree out in the open.

No, I think not. The rod would just make the tree stand there. You'd have to completely sever the "real" hinge. And depending on lean, that could be unwise.

Back