Tree felling vids

Agreed, Pete.

Well I texted that vid yesterday to my op and said check out the first pick, etc. I saw him today as we used him and the 55 today to nuke 2 huge dead Ash. I said is that bad what they did. Long story short he said it is not good but in those first two picks, the pieces were too small to do any damage, even tiny damage to the boom, he said, so he didn't think it was a problem but it is definetly not wise. A big piece in that scenario could be disastrous

That was my impression too. BUT i's not just the piece.. the ball is swinging too and probably heavier than the piece.. He could have hung the top with a short strap, before swinging it away...

Some times need must, and that piece was way within limits.

Still doesn’t make it right though. Topping out and hanging it before slinging to the hook would have been preferred. But then it was a tight area and I very much doubt the would have been able to hang that top with out breaking limbs lower down... risk of damage vs getting it done with two smaller pieces?

Personally, I would have left that bit out of the video.

It was a tight area and I very much doubt the would have been able to hang that top with out breaking limbs lower down... risk of damage vs getting it done with two smaller pieces?

Personally, I would have left that bit out of the video.

Agreed about possible damage. Which reminds me, doncha just hate jobs where it's so tight that tossing down the face cut wedge/pie/block is risky??

Good on him for including questionable stuff. It provided lots of discussion fodder for us folks!

Anything over 75% is considered a critical lift, so maybe not quite that much?
First day with a new machine, having to instruct the operator, and getting that close to capacity...seems reasonable. Not really.

Would they tell the HOs and neighbors that they were being that dicey?

Getting that close to capacity in construction would require a ncco operator (to turn it on you need that in construction), prelift planning done by an engineer, and multiple walk throughs. You can overload a mini, a skid steer, e.t.c , but not a crane. If you don't understand that, may God help you.

Guy down the road just tipped a bucket truck with him 40ft in the air ! Ground must’ve been compromised - Hope the guy makes out alright but that’s a long ways down

Rich, dude, I don’t even work with them boys but one in a blue moon and almost never on crane crew. I don’t really do crane work now at Eastside, and when I do I offer no advice, because they definitely have their own show going there. I don’t like it. Super boring. Feels like construction work to me, which I already quit to do tree work.

U.K. Rich: Sorry mate, I still haven’t Figured out the multi quote thing yet.:|:

I think that Jake has been climbing for about seven years. Something like that.

As it turns out ... questionable soil was precisely the reason given for the accident ... Outriggers worked until the tipping point was reached and sank into the muck causing the accident ... Deploying Cribbing and mats may have spread the load enuff to avoid the accident ... For falling 40 feet to the ground the guy is going come out relatively unscathed except for some back issues

Rich, dude, I don’t even work with them boys but one in a blue moon and almost never on crane crew. I don’t really do crane work now at Eastside, and when I do I offer no advice, because they definitely have their own show going there. I don’t like it. Super boring. Feels like construction work to me, which I already quit to do tree work.
Jed I was saying that to let you know my opinion and apologizing to you for say that about the company you work for, knowing you were not part of that.
I will show the crane op Wednesday and I already know he’s gonna tell me I won’t be doing that with his crane. Exciting day by the way. Killing power to 31 homes for this removal.

“Killing Power to 31 homes”... That’s what I’m talkin about!

Oh, and just so everyone on here knows…. Never be afraid to badmouth something that out crane crew does. That’s one of the reasons them boys splay out their stuff all over the stinkin interwebs (Butch’s)... so that guys’ll weigh in and go: “Dude... yer a dumbass.” Or else, “ Dude, you guys are awesome...”. or whatever.

I ask you gents... what ELSE is the internet good fer?

The residents are already in an uproar. Neighbor signed off on use of her half of the shared drive is throwing a fit now. Said she’s not moving her vehicles. I let the city know to get her in check before tomorrow. I have a crane coming. I’ll set the damn things in someone else’s yard if they’re in my way

I suggest just calling a tow truck, the liability for touching someone's car is a bit more than you wanna deal with in the am. Been there..... leave them down the block.

Oh we've all gotten excited over it before.....i try to just stay in my truck and let the laborers and a sexually frustrated operator do their thing 🤣

I had to do the "screw the public, they effed up and now I have to make it happen so we can work" thing, a time or two.

I right now am recalling three little commuter sedans, way outside of their proper operating parameters. Parked dead center, back to back, on a heavily snowed in full two lane wide FS road that accessed a popular hot springs trailhead. Me and my two fellow FS field technicians came up behind that mess with our snowmobiles on a trailer behind one 4x4 pickup, and the required second 4x4 pickup ahead.

Our job was to ride out deep beyond the trailhead (where no road tracks continued) and collect grafting scion from select trees. I served as front man on the snowmobile/gear sled...and sharpshooter. It was a fun job about 10 percent of the time. The rest was just about as close to deep and dangerous winter survival requirements as anyone ever might wish to venture near.

Sooo...back to the blocked road :). One after the other, we winched those little cars off the road and deposited them in DEEP snow drifts off the side on steep roadside fill slopes. Left a level 2 LEO ticket on each one (that being one more of my special certifications :)) explaining their law-breaking, and my generous choice of not leveling a steep fine and required court appearance.

Motored on past, and did our work. The cars were still buried in the drifts when we left near dark that afternoon...but there were a few really sad looking lameos standing around the cars. I waved :).

And we passed a big 4x4 tow truck coming in as we were going out. No idea how they made contact...no cell service, nor many cell phones at that time. Probably begged someone who passed by to make a call for them once they got to town.

That's a $800 tow bill, for each car, even way back then in the early 1990's.

It sux to be stupid :D.

Back