Tree felling vids

How do you know someone gave him $1000? I watched the video but could not find that story in it...the youtube version I didn't see any info to that effect? Did folks in USA send money?

Jed's boys with their brandy new $675k 55 ton long boom crane. Breaking absolutely every rule in the book with the very first 2 cuts.

We use the 55 and 55L, they are beastly machines

Last edited:
SMH. Damn it. You aren’t wrong Cory. Don’t get me wrong as I’m sure they were within their chart but not accounting for deflection?

Well getting used to different deflection on a brand new crane is a bit understandable to me. Plus, my op who is a humble straight up crane wizard, says it's basically too much boom for a 55t so ya gotta figure it is a bit whippy.

But that very first pick on a new crane, letting it swing into the boom??? Imo, just no. Yes it is a small piece but, idk, it just seemed like such a wack, tree guy thing to do. It's just wrong. When you do enough wrong things and get away with them, sooner or later it will bite you.

Looks like the climber got a slow wallop at the 20 minute mark. I guess some down hanging limbs were rubbing against him as they pulled the piece out?

Climbed stayed in the pocket. If only he had some fancy RRP to move to a safer location.

I think peeling to one side would have been preferable over facing onto the rigging.

If the tip would’ve been on top of it instead of back he would’ve been fine. Back shortens the radius but the swing will over ride what he gains in capacity.

The speed and no impact of that removal (stopped watching halfway thru) sealed the fate of a lot of trees nearby, I'm afraid.

Eastside vid @13:45 feeding the chipper with sling still tied to the piece. Seems like a loader would be in order for a tree of that magnitude

I'm not much of a crane guy, but at 28:58 looks like that could have been very bad

Last edited:
Agreed, Pete.

Well I texted that vid yesterday to my op and said check out the first pick, etc. I saw him today as we used him and the 55 today to nuke 2 huge dead Ash. I said is that bad what they did. Long story short he said it is not good but in those first two picks, the pieces were too small to do any damage, even tiny damage to the boom, he said, so he didn't think it was a problem but it is definetly not wise. A big piece in that scenario could be disastrous

My crane op wants to have the chain choked on the opposite side from him, lifting butt-heavy, but not the top of the spar, picks as I cut.
As I get close, the kerf opens or closes, he adjusts, it floats away from me.
He sets the logs down without help, mostly, sometimes decking logs.
Putting down a block of something, anything, prevents trapping the sling against the ground. Basic rigging concept.
Strange to have to tell the crane open how to operate.
4800 pound brush pick, good for 5600. Large cushion there, right? About 85% capacity, off the top of my head.

And years since a fatality.

Back