The Official Work Pictures Thread

I didn't understand the size of the tree until I saw the ladder. That's a lot of tree there. Nice you had equipment to move that thing around ...that's a lot of wood. Good rope work too.

-snip-

Well, the contractor let me know on day one that the garage in the back, which looked kind of shabby, was due for demolition. Thinking about how dropping the stick might leave a major hole in the back yard, I asked if I could help. He said go ahead, just don't ruin the fence to neighbor's yard. I took advantage, and while I did break 2 fence boards, it was well worth it to once not have to worry about avoiding a structure... ;)

View attachment 113570
IMO this picture needs to be added to the rotator. (y)

@Maximalist

Why did you not let the tree top 'run' (letting the rope slide , slowing the piece down before catching it?

I cut and catch tops alone all the time. There is much less impact, and much more safety.

Squirrel's about at the end of his rope. Might be ready to have a bad day. I don't think I'd like doing that tree at all. Nope...

Catching your own pieces of tree allows some good adjustment and finesse, even sometimes resulting in way easier landing of tree parts than when controlled by an inexperienced groundworker.

I often don't trust my safety to others, actually, as little as possible.

Snubbing (locking the rope in place) is not a good, safe technique there, in my opinion.

What would be a good way to add friction that doesn't use specialized hardware? I think the munter hitch has a reputation for thrashing ropes. Maybe a rescue8?

Catching your own pieces of tree allows some good adjustment and finesse, even sometimes resulting in way easier landing of tree parts than when controlled by an inexperienced groundworker.

I often don't trust my safety to others, actually, as little as possible.

Snubbing (locking the rope in place) is not a good, safe technique there, in my opinion.

In a neg rigging scenario like that catching and running your own piece is a risky thing to do, you basically have a second or so from when the top starts to go to drop the saw, grab the rope and compose yourself to run it.
Recipe for making an error.

Snubbing that top was dodgy, agreed.

Yes, Mick, true.

And, it's easy to do safely, finishing with a handsaw, if you can't stow the and push, you can toss the handsaw.

"Dropping" the top-handle chainsaw onto the lanyard is a definite plan B.

Last edited:
Finally finished that oak from a few weeks ago, 85 foot lift. Rigged out about half the tree, then flopped the rest. Also did 3 other floppers. Did accidently lose control of a pie cut (with a pulling chain it not only shot out but away from me?) and damaged the roof of a pole barn, so i gotta get a sheet of that. Customer was laughing, he had never seen that happen, and i didn't either, especially one that big. He's cool with everything, I'm not cause ill go over that mistake a million times in my head knowing me lol. Only remembered to get pics after everything was done. Way more leaning and awkward than it looks on the ground, it's going down a hill there, with a wasp nest going insane since we moved them around with the mini ex. Btw, if anyone's thinking of xmas presents.... Holy crap are they productive.

20210821_140000.jpg 20210821_135949.jpg

Good eye! I'll take a guess, and say he bored in from two side to setup the hinge, then started the backcut, but it went over before 100% completion.

Back