The Official Work Pictures Thread

This mornings job was to prune deadwood out of this large Elm with a courtyard for a housing association. We also cut back from the balconies and thinned the upper crown.

Pretty tall tree and difficult to get a picture with the whole tree in.

Again, fancying with throw line to set climb lines meant I forgot a before picture.

2 climbers up and about an hour and a half.

73343C41-D6AA-49A5-B459-E35B01F7C1C0.jpeg 9200D1B2-0E77-40D6-B197-32BF75A0529F.jpeg C9146F01-02AA-4023-8E98-F1D87479CE21.jpeg

Thanks.

There are loads of them like this in central Oslo. Hardest part, apart from the obvious avoidance of the obstacles, is getting parking outside.

Today was the exception, we managed to get the truck and chipper right outside the point of egress.

Back in the days, the regrowth of ash was used by the farmers as food for the herds.

Pollarding is really just super aggressive reduction pruning,
Not really, because you should do it regularly on relatively young regrowth limbs. Sure, you take them all, but that's only small diameter cuts (except for the ones used for lumbers). At least, it's the principle. The pollarding has to begin very early in the tree's life, as soon as it reaches the average size required, small cuts. Then cut back at the same place(s) every number of years for the purpose (product of raw material, space available, landscaping ...) and that for ever. The tree becomes used to it. It has a massive amount of buds ready to take the relay and it stores plenty of nutriments in the rounded heads.
We can't call that topping, beside the very first cut for the kind of pollard with only the trunk left. It has certainly nothing to do with the heavy cuts which you described above:
A saying at my old job in Boston was "no one looks up". Said to justify wicked hard reductions on big declining trees to preserve the bole. They had been maintaining basically hollow shells on the Boston commons for decades using that approach. Sometimes it's either a removal or Pollard/ reduction
A bad thing is to "forget" the pollard for some time and then, come back at it, big cuts, rot. The tree becomes structurally compromised and a new episode of free growth can lead to some breaking, from one limb to the whole crown crashing down. Sadly it's common now in the country with the willows, nobody want to maintain them and they are falling apart and disappearing because of that.

Today’s job was a Lime dismantle. The tree had a vertical crack which opened right up this winter when the water froze. Basically the housing association decided to remove it now as there is heavy foot traffic in the area plus a power line and the building.

No dramas really.

Frankie would have been proud. Cut and split the lot by hand then loaded onto the trailer.

BD9D19F2-B0B7-49F1-8F5B-63B87E7E95A6.jpeg 9712517F-20CE-4163-A237-153A4568FF45.jpeg DBD5C409-28C4-43D7-8CBB-5F56121D103D.jpeg 4CE3871D-0E9F-40D1-9E91-0F2A756C3774.jpeg 68E97F6A-623E-46E6-B895-9E49B9B65A3F.jpeg C1C66C0F-4BD0-47FA-BC01-8EBBCF30E14F.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:
I had to download it and play in a separate video app. Ugly bunch of conifers it appears Pete will be clearing.

Today’s job was a Lime dismantle. The tree had a vertical crack which opened right up this winter when the water froze. Basically the housing association decided to remove it now as there is heavy foot traffic in the area plus a power line and the building.

No dramas really.

Frankie would have been proud. Cut and split the lot by hand then loaded onto the trailer.

View attachment 109583View attachment 109584View attachment 109585View attachment 109586View attachment 109587View attachment 109588View attachment 109589

Good job you had a chance to climb it first so you could warm yourself up for the hardest part of cutting and splitting

I look back and realise how tough I've been on young lads.
When they would be new to the industry I'd start them on Crosscutting and splitting wood and never realised that was the hardest job to do.
Next time I'm working with a youngster I'll be a bit more considerate. Im going to take the crosscutting on the floor and give the lad a 100ft Beech tip reduction.

Back