The Official Work Pictures Thread

Hella job.

Always fun dealing with clean up in 3 different yards. So while on that subject, were there targets below that had to be avoided or could you simply cut and drop

How's your eye?

I'm a bit (super) eye-poke phobic. Glasses and a visor or screen.
I got a pen in the eye at 17. Trees don't care any more than pens.

Hella job.

Always fun dealing with clean up in 3 different yards. So while on that subject, were there targets below that had to be avoided or could you simply cut and drop

There was the usual fence and a few up lights under the tree. We put cones over them and aimed for them. Can’t hit shit when I aim for it.

The rear of the tree had a load of utilities cables running between two post. The majority of the canopy was over them so we really only had to take care with the lowest ranches.

You can just see the lights and cables in this pic.

The eye is ok Sean, thanks for asking. I alway get stuff in them regardless of what I am wearing. I wore some safety glasses as well when I went back up but chucked them as they started to steam up.

8C35F968-2A10-4716-BED0-313D28EB88BB.jpeg

Good info and lol re aiming.

The job looks superb. Here, I'd be afraid people might complain that not enough was removed. Of course, amount removed and good appearance are usually inversely proportional.

Climbed a few trees pro bono along two trails for the City Park Maintenance crew. One oak with three main leaders - decay at the main junction from a top blown out years ago. From the ground it appeared only one leader had a risky attachment. He specified just taking that one leader and two dead stubs. Called the supervisor from in the tree; told him such a major cut and the compromised portion extended farther down than could be seen from the ground, which made the attachment of the second leader suspect. I recommended they remove the tree. His response, “I don’t have the budget to take it down”. Criminally negligent to leave the tree. I told him to free up himself and one of his crew for a half day and I would do the removal for free. I’d rather not see a hiker crushed.
1C880E19-958E-455F-A18F-CD16EB049147.jpeg 58D32113-29FC-492E-B091-EB739E6F59B0.jpeg
1231DA69-A40C-4DBC-9D7B-6A4F95F1B765.jpeg

Looks obviously heavy, but good, Mick.

Never heard the term 'sap puller' before, but yeah

Looks obviously heavy, but good, Mick.

Never heard the term 'sap puller' before, but yeah

It’s another world this side of the pond Cory.
These houses were built in the thirties, it’s likely the trees were already there in some form as the peninsula is covered in them.
They get topped/pollarded every ten years or so, all three are hollow at the bottom, too much top weight would finish them.
There’s holes from old wounds with nests and bats and shit like that.
Sap pullers are there to help the uninterrupted flow of sap up the tree so it doesn’t shut the branch down and sprouts vigorously (I’m sure you knew that anyway)
I’d not bother as a rule, very few French firms do as these oaks respond well to pruning, but they’re my trees and I had all day on them anyway.

Good info, thx, Sir.

I have a red maple on the shchedule to reduce, I should take some pics. But, meh, the tree looks like a pin cushion already from being topped about 4 y ago by me. It should be removed, wrong tree wrong spot, but yeah

Back