The Official Work Pictures Thread

I wouldn't take a chain that was down to triangles up a tree. That's when they get used for ordinary stuff(bucking), or stumping/cutting trash, depending on how small the triangles are. I don't consider a chain "done" til I lose at least one tooth.
I won't use a chain that's close to that short in the tooth for anything. My chains are done far sooner than that...more like three quarters of the top flat gone, then that chain is gone too. They don't cost enough to make it worth my time to mess with that fine a line between useful and dead.

I wasn't aiming to get that far down. I need to grab some chains off my shop wall. I have a bunch, but haven't restocked the truck in a long time. Hardly ever in my shop.

Two saws need 'em.
Tomorrow.

Good news, found the replacement clutch that I bought forever ago for my favorite modded 460, bad news, my 2511t quit oiling.
Might pick up another 2511t in the morning. Who knows when I'm going to look into the oiler, and I don't want to spend $75-100 on a $400 saw to have the mechanic change a pump, or clear a clog.

It's a super quick easy job to get to the 2511t oil pump. Start now and you'll have it all done or diagnosed and parts ordered tonight.

Remove clutch cover, impact the clutch off, pry up the oil pump cover, pull off the worm gear, then 2 screws and the oil pump is off.

I won't use a chain that's close to that short in the tooth for anything. My chains are done far sooner than that...more like three quarters of the top flat gone, then that chain is gone too. They don't cost enough to make it worth my time to mess with that fine a line between useful and dead.

We sharpen them, then put them aside for when we have to trim and buck logs that have been skidded out to roadside.
Logs covered in mud, with some of it really ground in are no fun to cut.
Having use and discard chains helps a bit.

Yah , closing the bar rail won’t help wear , at best it’s a band-aid. Sounds like incorrect sharpening and/ or depth gage not set properly causing that issue. I’ve got bars with over 100cord on em and they are still gtg. Make sure chain and is sharp, depth gauge is set to spec and don’t try to “save” money skimping on bar oil and forget these “budget” bars that don’t last worth a crap. False economy ... Also don’t furget to flip bar to promote even wear. Works well like this here in WNY. In Tennessee.... all bets are off 🤣
100 face cords or real cords on the bar?

So the maple's done? I'd be interested in seeing it in a couple years to see what it looks like.

My friend and wife will let it regrow. He has a Genie lift, and plans to "maintain" it. He could sell the butt, removed by the buyer, I bet. Figured wood buyers would be interested. He doesn't want to "lose it entirely". I'd already reduced it a couple years back. The trees have grown huge over 30 years... My friend is planning for his younger wife's later years, possibly 20 or more. He's slowing down a lot. 72-74 years old.

Today we went and tried to restore some order to a previously topped Beech tree. Pretty decent sized canopy and also very spindly in parts. 2 climbers as it would have been pretty demoralising on your own up there. Redirect city to get to some of the ends. I think it looks ok now it’s completed. The neighbour came out with a deck chair and watched. To show his gratitude we were given a box of homemade biscuits to have with our tea break.

Daniel, the other climber snapped a couple of shots within the canopy. I also forgot a before pic but to give some idea we removed about 3-4 metres of leggy regrowth off in certain areas.

Just glad it was a dry day.

Lotta work.

A82F516D-EDFC-4358-89F7-F75E5DF858B6.jpeg 229FA08F-E981-420E-BC3A-AA0BF8412709.jpeg A7D46609-F063-48C7-A1FF-3679CDDA45DD.jpeg 9F22B730-BA50-4459-A742-A430B342A879.jpeg

It's also an art, and art escapes me. End of day, I'm a technician. You want something wrecked, there's a reasonable chance I can wreck it for you. You want something to look nice, it would be better to ask someone else. Nothing would scare me more than a taking a job where I had to make someone's tree look good.

It looks awwesome!

How long did it take 2 guys aloft?

You came down for lunch and then went back up?

It looks awwesome!

How long did it take 2 guys aloft?

You came down for lunch and then went back up?

Thanks.

We started setting lines about 7.40 am got up there just after 8. Had a twig flick under my visor and poke me in the eye about 10.15. Did a bit more to set a redirect to make going back up and straight to work. Then came down at 10.30 for a piss and to wash my eye.

We had some lunch and a brew and went back up at 11 ish. Came down just after 13.15. Helped clear up and then had to drive round as the tree covered a couple of gardens. So we chipped the piles at the second and third sites and left for home just before 15

So maybe 4.5 hours climbing for two climbers.

Back