The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

Mmmm backstrap!

Hey Willie, you guys butcher em up yourselves or do you take it to a game processor?

saw the buck on FB, nice job! even the training wheels will get it done apparently ;) :)

What is the deal with the pink ribbon.
Some arcane pagan hunters ritual, like they have in Germany?

Just to make sure someone else doesn't shoot my buck a second time;) Wasn't anyone else around but you never know.

4x4 my ass!! That's a 5x5, those "eye guards" are legit points.... nice buck bro, congrats!!:D

Eye guards? :? You been hanging around Canadians?:P

Hehe, B-doc's rippin on the GDC's again.:D

Ha, you been hanging around the southerners too long!

Mmmm backstrap!

Hey Willie, you guys butcher em up yourselves or do you take it to a game processor?

I cut em up

saw the buck on FB, nice job! even the training wheels will get it done apparently ;) :)

Yessir, wheels are a modern invention Gramps!

Loverly Animal! Congratulations!

I have never shot an Animal with a Bow,must take alot of Skill.

Take that Cary:lol:

Thanks treebogan, i'm going to have him aged, that grey face tells me he's catching up in age with the old dood:D

Nice one Willie. Hang that old fella for a bit. I got skunked agaoin this morning.Back at it tomorrow morning again, maybe the evening if I get off work early enough.

Na, I like to cut them up fairly soon. Got the straps and front quarters cut up and wrapped except for the burger

I have done both and like it better my way, others, like an old guy I just talked to are certain it's better to hang em. Personal preference

My processor always lets them hang a few days...I usually request at least a week. All good beef you buy has been aged, some of it at least 2 weeks. I'm planning to build a meat cooler one day so I can age them myself and then cut/process them here at home. My plan is to build a small building (6' X 8') with double-thick walls, stuffed full of insulation, then use a window unit air conditioner to chill it. I've been tols that with a little tweaking, you can get the unit to cool down in the high 30's. All you want is around 38* to 42*. Lot cheaper than buying a commercial cooler.

Take that Cary:lol:

Thanks treebogan, i'm going to have him aged, that grey face tells me he's catching up in age with the old dood:D

I have forgotten about shooting more deer than you ever will...;) :) LOL but yeah, agreed, even a modern compound shooting device is harder than a boomstick for sure :)

Treesmith, tar paper works very well as a moisture barrier as well as an insulator. I wrapped my shop with tar paper before putting up the siding and it is incredibly well insulated. Just last week I threw up some tar paper over a few windows in my house and the difference overnight is amazing. I forgot to turn on the heat last night, it was 35* this morning but still 65* in the house.

Meat tastes better butchered sooner than later also as I remember being told.

For me it is not the taste but the texture change, I like to let them hang for 4-5 days at around 35-45 Deg.
The big thing for me is getting the hide off the day it was shot, so the meat can cool.

we punks gotta stick together!

no doubt ya little punk asses...;) and cobleskill, osage and locust make wonderful bows, you are thinking seflbow right? no laminations, just tillered from a single stave?

I have made about 20 selfbows in the past.

when you hit them right, they are a joy to shoot. Killed a deer with a bow I made once, was made of white ash and backed with clarified calfskin.

Have you made any from yew?

I had a wonderful piece of yew once,the rare European kind, got offered big money for it by several bowmakers, but I wanted to build my own.
Didn't do too well, I busted the damned thing while still working on it.
Too much tension, too early.
Bummer!

Dad sent a a pic of a small basket rack 8pt he passed on at 20yds on last day of gun season. He let deer go and it walked in from of cam to get it's pic took.
The day before my bro was suppose to be in the shooting house and my dad was in another stand. My dad when he left walked out to the SH and checked cam, no bro. He checked the cam card and 8:30am that morning and the big 8 and huge 10 were there. Bro felt pretty stupid sleeping in that morning and through 2 alarm clocks. :lol::lol: