The Biking Thread

I agree with @pigwot. Riding daily, even if you're pushing yourself to to exhaustion by the end of your ride, is only unhealthy unless you have injured yourself and continue to ride despite your body providing obvious signals that it is in pain or that you are injured in some way. Also, simply waking up the following day with sore muscles isn't anything that should prevent you from riding again the following day.

However, if you went on a really long and physically demanding ride the day prior, where you wake up so sore that you actually walk a little funny, then I suggest doing a lot of stretching before riding that day, and I also suggest going on a shorter, easy ride on an easy, flat trail, or just going slowly on pavement. By doing this, you will actually help your muscles recover more quickly and build strength, while doing another challenging ride would likely delay recovery and possibly cause you to injure yourself.

What's great about biking in general is that it is very low impact, slow strain on your body. The number one exercise suggested by physical therapists for patients with leg/knee injuries is biking (on pavement of course). Pretty much any type of riding can be made easier on a recovery day by utilizing higher gears than you might normally use (this is especially applicable to trail riding). You will have to make more pedal revolutions, and you will move more slowly, but less stress will be applied to your body.

Finally, as Pigwot also correctly suggested, eating on an empty stomach is never a good idea. Eat a normal sized meal with a lot of quickly metabolized sugars/sugar precursors about 1-2 hours before a ride, and bring small snack bars with you or energy gel with you on long rides. Eating meals loaded with carbohydrates (like pasta) on the night before a big ride will provide you with a bunch of extra energy reserves by the following morning as it slowly converts into sugars overnight. Conversely, it's never a good idea to overeat before a ride, and never consume dairy products just before biking as the lactic acid can cause cramping during your ride.

Minor trimming on a red maple for a coworker and thinning a cherry blossom for a new customer referred by his dad. Both small trees. Hit the Susquehanna state park afterwards. There’s some cool history there. It is home to the former state champion beech tree until basal decay allowed it to fall over a few years ago. There is a champion white oak there as well. It lost a large leader though. 3.5 hour trip, 18 or so miles. We rode a double black diamond and I had to walk the bike 25% on the climb but so did a fit 15 year old who’s been mountain biking for 3 years so I didn’t feel so bad.

Attachments

• IMG_9869.jpeg
    IMG_9869.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9861.jpeg
    IMG_9861.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9857.jpeg
    IMG_9857.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9863.jpeg
    IMG_9863.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9858.jpeg
    IMG_9858.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9862.jpeg
    IMG_9862.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9864.jpeg
    IMG_9864.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9865.jpeg
    IMG_9865.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9867.jpeg
    IMG_9867.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9868.jpeg
    IMG_9868.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
Spe

Thank you Pat! Speaking of eating, is it better to go riding on a full belly or ride to work up an appetite? Definitely get 7-8 hrs of sleep per night.
Im on one or two meals a day, usually lunch and dinner. Have been so for several years now and feel better for it.
I often ride in the mornings with just some water, once your fat adapted, your body dosent go peak/ trough as much, and you have a more consistent energy delivery.

if your on 3 meals a day, then just have your normal breakfast, if you want to loose weight, start cutting your carbs right down.

I do the 2 meals per day as well. Although, i take a protein shake and fiber before tree work. I’m not fat adapted because my meals contain carbs but I’m definitely eating less. Evening snacks are cut way down and I haven’t been eating my large bowl of Mint chocolate chip ice cream. If I continue to stall in the weight dropping department, I’ll have to look at carb reduction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a huge chocolate and ice cream lover but lately I find I can dodge that bullet with a small bowl of peanuts and raisins.

I'm a huge chocolate and ice cream lover but lately I find I can dodge that bullet with a small bowl of peanuts and raisins.
My dessert these days is usually beef (and various other types of meat) jerky. I somehow enjoy the different flavors and types a lot more than sweets these days. Before switching to jerky, I had a raging Reese's Peanut Butter Cup addiction. Especially those Big Cups. Goddaaaaaaaaaaamn, those are good! But now I just eat jerky, packed with protein.

If you buy it online (or make your own, which I don't do because I don't hunt or know anyone nearby that hunts), jerky isn't nearly as expensive as at many stores. Probably sounds like a crappy dessert, but you'd be surprise how much you start to crave it. I pack jerky on any trip I go on into the outdoors, and sometimes I will often eat it for a light breakfast or lunch as well.

Anyone on this forum make good jerky?

I just made a new thread all about jerky recommendations and discussion! You can find it here...

I finally did it. I purchased a decent trail bike with 6 months, no interest. I’ve been riding obsessively for the past month and knew I needed an upgrade. This is still a value bike and not their top of the line but it competes with bikes priced $1000 more from what I’ve gathered. Anything above this bike would be an upgrade that wouldn’t be of any use to me for the way I ride, kinda like driving a Lamborghini at posted road speeds. The used market is confusing and a lot of older bikes and tech for what still amounts to good money. Or, maybe it has the 5 mandatory features but it’s too large of a frame for me and they still want 1600.00. It hurts to spend that on a bike but I think I’ll be riding at least twice a week (currently 4 times) for the foreseeable future. I feel good and am getting stronger. I’ve dropped 9 pounds and have increased energy. Growing up, all my bikes were from the department store sale sections, thrift shops, or picked from the trash.

Once my 11 year olds broken finger heals, I’m hoping he’ll be a trail partner.

Attachments

• IMG_9889.png
    IMG_9889.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
Looks nice. Using it is a good enough reason to buy something nice. When you spend a lot of time doing whatever, you might as well make the experience as good as it can be(at least while being responsible with money). Just like saws. A 1970s Homelite will cut a tree, same as a 2024 Husky, but...

This is true. After riding my neighbor’s equivalent to this bike, I realized how much safer it was/felt on the downhills and how much stuff I could go over or up without dismounting thus giving a better workout.

I did run into a “gear up!” family yesterday on the trails. There was a father and 2 sons between 11-15 years of age. They were dressed like Lance Armstrong and each sported 3K Trek mountain bikes. The bikes were new and they were creeping through the trails. I find humor in that.

Dunno. I'm pretty sure my problem is one or more blown disks. I have almost gotten interested enough to pull my bike out and see if the rubber's still good enough for a quick spin, But I figure if I had liked it, I'd never have stopped riding.

Dunno. I'm pretty sure my problem is one or more blown disks. I have almost gotten interested enough to pull my bike out and see if the rubber's still good enough for a quick spin, But I figure if I had liked it, I'd never have stopped riding.

Yeah, probably won’t help discs.

I dunno, I stopped riding as a teenager when it became cooler to walk (because I was stupid) and then tried to pick it up in 2011 but would come close to passing out. Now that I know I need to intentionally hydrate I’m usually fine. Part of the appeal is getting healthy though. It’s also about pushing myself which I don’t do much of these days except in tree work.

You never know how you’d currently perceive riding until you try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@cory Do you ever trail ride? I know you go around town.
I was on an 'around town' ride a few weeks ago early one Saturday, came upon some Open Space I hadn't seen before, plenty of do's and don'ts posted buy none re biking so I rode in, was thinking 'yeah I see why people like this!'. In the middle somewhere found a sign that did prohibit biking but nothing I could do at that point other than keep going, managed to emerge unscathed as everybody was still asleep. Was a great little ride.

FedEx dropped my new ride just in time for the Sunday excursion. Got it assembled and hit it! Most folks bowed out and it was just me and my neighbors 15 year old son. He’s a pedaling beast and loves downhill. We ride together a couple times a week.

This bike rides as good as or perhaps SLIGHTLY better than my neighbors $3500 Trek. He bought it for $2000 slightly used as it was a COVID bike. I love this thing. It allowed me to do so much more on the trail and climb hills better. The 29” wide tires just roll over roots and rocks and the full suspension absorbs any blows going downhill. The drop post seat allows instant center of gravity. We rode for 5 hours straight. Longest ride on trails to date. Hosed off the bike as it was somewhat muddy and need to hose myself off. Totally whooped.

Attachments

• IMG_9969.jpeg
    IMG_9969.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Back