The Biking Thread

I always carry a spare chain link joiner along with tube, repair kit, and pliers, a basic multitool, (has a chain breaker as part of it), is a must as well, easily fits inside those bags that hang under the saddle.

I still shake my head at what some of the guys in the group here pay for a basic service, most are north of 300 here, I do all my own maintenance, and can true wheels to less than half a mm, which for a road bike is ok, and for a mtb overkill :).

Not understanding. Should it just be $100?
Of course! The 99 thing is just a sight gag intended to trick the innumerate into thinking something is cheaper than it is. Instead of a round number that can be paid with a single bill without change being made, you have to use most of the bills in circulation. You save a whole $1 which is all but valueless in today's economy. Don't get me started on the penny. You have to be a special kind of stupid to make a coin that costs more than it's valued, and that's at the point it rolls off the mint. It keeps costing money in fuel trucking it around for it's whole life.

The thought of a bicycle mechanic getting a single reverse value penny out of me is viscerally offensive. There's not enough to a bicycle to warrant someone else being paid for messing with it.

I can do a lot of bicycle work myself, but I have no idea how to align a wheel. Most of my bicycle "career" was spent on nylon mag wheels. Virtually bulletproof, and little maintenance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Truing a wheel is high level afaik

No cables. Derailleur(s) have an electric motor that shifts per the shifter actuation. Bluetooth or whatever wireless protocol transmits the signal.
Wireless/Blutooth derailleur? All to get rid of two wires that were never in the way to begin with (which almost nobody notices during a ride) and replace them with a component that needs to be recharged and which will need to be replaced when the battery or motors die(s) out versus the actual derailleur dying out?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe if you're a super high end road bicyclists looking to shed a few tens of grams of cable weight, it might be great. I'm glad you enjoy it and I'm happy for you! Maybe I don't know enough about the world of wireless derailleurs to be dissing them! But for now, it seems pointless to me!

I want a bike I can use during the apocalypse. If I have to recharge any part of a bike, it won't become my bike.

So, had to get my lower forehead stitched back together. I was grooving at a state park I frequent and was totally in the flow. I was killin the climbs and the tech sections (rock gardens, drops) , keeping speed on the corners and shifting gears perfectly. Was going down a particular hill I’m familiar with and I think my front tire clipped the very edge of a rock which pulled the handlebars sideways and sent me over. My helmet hit a rock after my torso hit the trail (I think) and then somehow the rock got my forehead below the helmet. I stood up and saw blood raining to the ground and knew it was gonna get sewn up. Got the bleeding under control with my buff and had to petal uphill a couple miles to the truck. Contusion on one leg around the knee and calve pain on the other leg as well as other cuts and pains. Got home to clean up and down the street to see the doc. I’m not riding again until I get my full face helmet (kinda like a motorcycle helmet) and I’m going to reduce speed on the hills.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 6
Damn, glad your ok, thats a serious hit.

Horrible as the injuries were, you are very fortunate they were not worse, being highsided, and hitting your head is serious.

Its surprising just how much your helmet can be displaced in a hit, even with it securely fitted.

Keep an eye out for concussion tho, it can creep up on you, take it seriously.

I imagine that the swelling will be quite considerable.

Last edited:
Damn, glad your ok, thats a serious hit.

Horrible as the injuries were, you are very fortunate they were not worse, being highsided, and hitting your head is serious.

Its surprising just how much your helmet can be displaced in a hit, even with it securely fitted.

Keep an eye out for concussion tho, it can creep up on you, take it seriously.

I imagine that the swelling will be quite considerable.
It’s been 4 hours since impact. All is well. How long can concussions take to present? My only experience is when James had one but it was almost immediate.

Keep an eye out for the next few days, if you get drowsy, or headaches get suddenly, or progressively worse, if your getting a bit clumsy, or cant think straight, or have lost your sharpness in thinking, doing dopey things like putting something in the cupboard instead of the fridge, empty glass into fridge, full milk container on the sink etc.

or an increase in the typical concussion symptoms, like light or noise sensitivity, just feeling really weak, etc.

Hopefully the doc covered that, if not, just read up on it if you can stand the light of computer monitors :), and take it seriously, at least a few days off work, I would imagine bending down, and your head will throb a bit.

Full faced helmets are the Patrician's Choice. But you most certainly know that now. Didn't I just tell you here recently to stay safe on your new-to-you shiny whip?

Heal up, feel better, ride harder, just wait Fir the helmet, maybe a few pads.

Love reading about you crushing trails like an animal, this I don't love so much atall. Keep your brain box safe brother, glad you didn't end up worse off.

Also, I agree with Trains, that DonkaBoom is bad enough for two days of taking easy. Do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if you get drowsy...if your getting a bit clumsy, or cant think straight, or have lost your sharpness in thinking, doing dopey things like putting something in the cupboard instead of the fridge, empty glass into fridge, full milk container on the sink etc.
Oh damn, I apparently have a concussion! Doh!!

First time back on the bike since my Monday wreck. It was a hot one but more than bearable. I got my stitches out this morning so I was anxious to ride. My full face helmet hasn’t arrived yet so I did very little downhill and rode the brakes hard. It’s gonna take me a while to get confidence back but I probably won’t ever go down single track hills at a high rate of speed again- not worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.png
    IMG_0436.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Back