The Biking Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember back in the day riding bike to school, hands and thumbs would get so cold they just wouldn't work until some thawing.

Ive been riding 8-10kms a few times a week, 26gears, I only use about 4-5 of them, it's pretty flat here in the village.
As long as its warm enough, need a set of rollers for winter.

I have one of these, stripped down and waiting for new paint, and a nice wheelset.
Can't ride it at the house, or anywhere near, need something more like what @Knotorious has, just due to my dirt road. MustangGTS-1.jpg
Sucks on the hills too, because the crank is well forward, so you can't put your weight into it. That said, on flat ground, ridden like a beach cruiser, it's one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden.

Also, mine has 13in apehangers...

utterly insane, the capabilities

In reference to the video where people keep f*cking themselves up...

I do freeride/downhill mountain biking, so I'm no stranger to getting wrecked. I've done some extreme sh*t, like 30 foot drops, huge jumps with 20 foot gaps, and shore riding (where you ride on wooden structures that are very high off the ground and which are designed to test your balance because everything is extremely narrow, sometimes only as wide as a 2 inches). I'm not bragging, I'm just saying...if you want to be a good bicyclist, you have to be willing to f*ck yourself up.

Well, maybe not if you're just riding on pavement on your cruiser or whatever. But if you want to be a skilled mountain biker, you have to push your limits and accept that you might get wrecked. When I used to race downhill, I would go anywhere between 50-60 MPH down a mountain. My favorite spot is Whistler in British Columbia, Canada. Easily the best mountain biking trails for serious riders, with ski lifts that take you up to the top. Somehow I never broke anything...never even sprained anything...but I've pulled some muscles and ate sh*t tons of times at crazy high speeds, getting deep cuts and scrapes, bleeding everywhere. Got a concussion once or twice.

When we ride freeride and downhill race, we always wear dirt bike helmets (full face), knee pads, elbow pads, and chest/back protection, armored gloves, and clip in pedals so that the intense vibrations from blasting over rock fields won't cause you to lose your footing.

Anyways, that's my rant about the importance of getting wrecked for those of you who are actual mountain bikers. It builds confidence. If you aren't wrecking yourself, you aren't pushing your limits. And if you don't push your limits, then you aren't going to improve beyond your "comfort zone." Go faster, go harder -- smartly and safely -- so that your comfort zone elevates every time you ride. If you do something new and out of your comfort zone and you eat shit, then sack up and try it again until you get it. You'll stop being afraid and, instead, become talented and courageous.

This is my aluminum love child, my Rocky Mountain RM7. You wouldn't know it, but she's been in a ton of wrecks. She's Canadian made, only a small number of this bike produced every year. It weighs 32lbs and has 12 gears, hydraulic disc brakes, 3" wide tires, 26" diameter wheels, and 7" of suspension in the back shock (spring and hydraulic) and 7" in the front fork (hydraulic).

Shit. Now I'm bragging.

1714638309472.png

Last edited:
@Knotorious

I didn’t know you rode like that. Sweet!

I completely agree that you’re gonna crash if you push yourself and the only way to find what you’re capable of is to push yourself. I don’t have that luxury though. If I can’t plumb or arbor due to an injury, my family is in trouble. If I had a desk job or a telework situation and didn’t mess with trees, I’d push myself harder.

I’m riding a 2011 Fuji Nevada mountain bike that I bought from a bike shop for 450.00 13 years ago. It works but isn’t great. I rode my neighbors full suspension, 29” tire, drop seat, wide handlebar Trek (don’t know the series) which is lighter than mine which has none of those features. The difference is amazing. It feels safer as the large tires roll over things my 26” tires have trouble with. The full suspension doesn’t allow the bike to jostled as much helping me stay steady. I’d say a drop post seat is a must to not go over the handlebars on steeper downhills (not that I fly or do jumps). So I’m looking at new and used bikes. What’s labeled as a good bike can set you back 6K easily. I’m not going over 2K and trying to find one for around 1200.00 gently used. May have to spend more though. I never realized how complicated bike shopping can be. Only way to get what I want new under 2K is factory direct and self assemble. Hoping Marketplace has some good deals though. This purchase preparation is more detailed and complicated than buying a vehicle. There are simply so many brands and they use 3rd party components and there’s quite a few 3rd parties. There may be 20 different models of brakes from one manufacturer. Only things I really care about are the 29” wheels, drop post seat, and dual suspension.

I went for a sweet ride on saturday in beautiful spring weather, rode 11mi one way to the CT Tree Climbing Championship, it was in Bridgeport CT at Seaside park which is a rather large park right on the, um, you guessed it, seaside.

Had fun watching a bunch of good climbers, chatted up some old friends and then had an equally sweet ride back. As usual, was so fun to explore an area by bike, checked out sweet, small, waterside neighborhoods as well as nearby fully industrial areas.

Biking FTW :dude: :dude:

I went for a sweet ride on saturday in beautiful spring weather, rode 11mi one way to the CT Tree Climbing Championship, it was in Bridgeport CT at Seaside park which is a rather large park right on the, um, you guessed it, seaside.

Had fun watching a bunch of good climbers, chatted up some old friends and then had an equally sweet ride back. As usual, was so fun to explore an area by bike, checked out sweet, small, waterside neighborhoods as well as nearby fully industrial areas.

Biking FTW :dude: :dude:
I was in the tree at the aerial rescue event to relocate the injured climber half of the day. That dummy weighs almost 200lbs.

Damn, sorry to miss you!

Musta been the second half of the day cuz there was a female climber doing it while I was there.

Back