Subsistence thread

I'm guessing chanterelles?

Nailed it.

Traktkanterel : Craterellus tubaeformis
Kanterel : Cantharellus cibarius
Piggsopp : Hydnum repandum

I didnt know the latin names for them, I had to google it. There are not so many normal Chanterelles in the forest that I frequent, but it is carpeted with traktkanterel with quite a few piggsopp mixed in.

I might make mushroom soyasauce if I pick alot. I dont particulary enjoy cleaning mushrooms though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nailed it.

Traktkanterel : Craterellus tubaeformis
Kanterel : Cantharellus cibarius
Piggsopp : Hydnum repandum

I didnt know the latin names for them, I had to google it. There are not so many normal Chanterelles in the forest that I frequent, but it is carpeted with traktkanterel with quite a few piggsopp mixed in.

I might make mushroom soyasauce if I pick alot. I dont particulary enjoy cleaning mushrooms though.
Awesome Mike. They will be great for your soups, stews etc. Keep picking and posting if you can!

I plan to organise my two new gill nets today. I lost my last two to the "Fish Cops" last year.

Might get time to put them out in the Fjord, we'll see.

Haha, that's before we went out... needed to enjoy a beer in the nice weather. Absolutely awful weather today.

A photo from last weekends duck hunt. Some of the hooligans I was hunting with enjoying the sun.
View attachment 124395
I though Hooligans were a small fish, favoured by Native Americans ?
"Dip netting for Hooligan?"

Anyway.Here is some Reindyr jerky drying on the wood stove.

Attachments

• IMG-20221029-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20221029-WA0013.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
I really like the hooligan pan fried with a cornmeal coating. They are extremely oily and rich. They are also frequently dried and smoked. Some people don't like that because they can be a bit strong flavored when smoked. They are also called candle fish because you can light them on fire after they are dried and they will hold a flame, that's how oily they are.

Sounds exactly like smelt. The runs here on the Columbia River and major tribs were legendary. No more, they basically are next to extinct.

Back