Subsistence thread

Tree09

Treehouser
Mine eats lots of grass and other stuff, then sometimes pukes it up in a giant slime pile. She then looks at it all confused as if somehow today was different from the last time she tried to make a salad, then shrugs and starts running around again with the kids :lol:

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Speaking of berries, I can make a small contribution to this thread, the wineberries locally have been ripe over the past 2+ weeks and have been excellent, I forage a bunch or em around my house as well as several spots OTJ.

Cobleskill

Treehouser
I start lump charcoal by starting a small kindling fire. Once the fire gets going set the grate with charcoal right on top. Starts in no time. Briquets last longer but I can cook corn and then meat on lump before it burns down. Nothing says summer like charcoal.

flushcut

TreeHouser
Our raspberry bush has been produced a few quarts so far, not bad for being planted last year. Looks like a good crop of apples this year. First sizable crop of cortland apples this year, Braeburn are plentiful.

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Wow those rakes look money!

Speaking of apples, aint it crazy how some years they produce heavily and many others not so much? And it is a town wide thing, not just on particular properties.

Jonny

Treehouser
Wow those rakes look money!

Speaking of apples, aint it crazy how some years they produce heavily and many others not so much? And it is a town wide thing, not just on particular properties.
Cold or really rainy springs that ground the bees and pollinators for our cortland tree will definitely make for zero fruit. If it’s cold enough during that window that they need to pollinate sometimes the flowers won’t really grow much or open up, so again poor pollination.

There’s some apples that don’t bloom until summer, so we usually still get honey crisps and others in September.
And cider. I’m looking forward to that.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
@stig Any idea why meat doesn't work?

Heard of anyone else like that?
I met a french woman, who would also cross the street to avoid passing a butcher shop, since the smell made her puke.

Only one with the affliction I've come across.

I did the first batch of tomato sauce for the freezer today.
Small one, only about 6 quarts.

It is like a burst of summer, when I use it in mid winter.

treesmith

Banned
Is there a name for it, Stig? My bricklayer came down with Alpha-gal last year from a tick bite. He can’t eat anything born alive. It’s so metro do with mammals. He can eat anything hatched though. He was saying he can no longer eat deer, beef or pork…but can eat fish, chicken, snakes and turtles…🤣

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Here is a picture:

P1090224.JPG

The round ones are Berner rosen, a Swiss tomato.
The others are Amish paste, my favourite sauce tomato.
It is like a San Marzano on steroids.
Great taste, huge yield and no diseases.
I love it.

Seeds I get from https://www.rareseeds.com/
Unfortunately they finally figured out that shipping seeds to the EU is illegal, so a friend in California orders for me, then packs them with some gummy bears to hide the sound of rattling seeds and sends them on.

treesmith

Banned
Why you smuggler, you! And here we were, thinking you were a shining example of all a dedicated commie should be….🤣

stikine

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wish we could grow tomatoes like those @stig no poly tunnels or green house's for us at the moment.

stikine

Treehouser
I picked some red huckleberries tonight after dinner. The biomass is good this year... this is only from a couple of bushes 20 feet from my back door. I use the sled to separate the leaves from berries by rolling them down the ramp. It doesn't get them all but helps. IMG_20220818_202619_HDR.jpg IMG_20220818_203741_HDR.jpg

stikine

Treehouser
Went to a mushroom presentation yesterday evening at the library. Today was foraging day along one of the local trails. Came home with some yellow foot chanterelles and a few puff balls.
IMG_20220827_132336_HDR.jpg
Will clean these up for dinner tonight.