Subsistence thread

Are reindeer tough to hunt?

They are different than caribou, true?

Basically 2 names for the same thing, Cory.

"Reindeer is the European name for the species of Rangifer, while in North America, Rangifer species are known as Caribou."[2] The word rein is of Norse origin. The word deer was originally broader in meaning but became more specific over time. In Middle English, der meant a wild animal of any kind, in contrast to cattle.[40] The word caribou comes through French, from the Mi'kmaq qalipu, meaning "snow shoveler", and refers to its habit of pawing through the snow for food.[41]

Yum, young, tender poison ivy leaves are going down the hatch nicely this early springtime, they taste a bit like kale.

IMG_4382.jpeg

Had some more today mixed in with Peanut butter samich, tasty. During the job today I wiped my forearm all over an old growth PI vine, we shall see if I ruined my weekend or all good :rockhard:

I've heard this before, and I'm curious, but I think "Dunno bout that shit". Interested in hearing how you make out with it. The theory is feasible, but I also hear of people developing debilitating allergies working with wood stuff from sustained exposure. IOW, it gets worse over time. Seems like it go either way with poison ivy.

Since we don't have a gardening thread any more, I'll put this here.

Got the polytunnel covered and the 49 tomatoes of some 30+ varieties planted, along with Serrano, Jalapeno and Habanero chilies, eggplants, squash and a shitload of basil.

The garden is coming along, we are eating radishes and spinach almost every day.

2023-05-21 17.50.06.jpg 2023-05-21 17.50.23.jpg 2023-05-21 17.49.18.jpg

Is the black weedmat for weed suppression, moisture retention, soil warmth?
Do you hand water inside or do you have irrigation?

The weedmat is basically because I'm too lazy to weed.
It works for moisture retention, too.

I have a pipe under the top of the tunnel, that I can plug a hose into at intervals.
So I handwater the individual plants, but with a hose.
I want to keep the humidity in the air as low as possible, to avoid mildew.
So I don't use a sprinkler although it would be easier.
Did at first, learned the hard way not to.
Also, getting home from work and walking among the plants, talking to them, keeping an eye on them while watering them is very relaxing in a Zen way.

It doesn't look like much now, but in 2 months I need a machete and 2 native bearers to get around in there.

It's your 'decompression zone' :):
Ours used to be the boat ride home, then the walk up the path through the trees. By the time we got to the front door, much more relaxed.
Need to find a new one now we don't have a water moat any more LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's your 'decompression zone' :):
Ours used to be the boat ride home, then the walk up the path through the trees. By the time we got to the front door, much more relaxed.
Need to find a new one now we don't have a water moat any more LOL
Fiona, it would be nice to see some more pictures of your lifestyle, even if it's not subsistence related.

M and I are recently back home from a visit with a friend who lives down on the north Oregon coast. Razor clamming was excellent. We both got our limits on two days of clamming...had two dinners there and brought home nearly 10 pounds of shelled and cleaned razors for the freezer. Probably a dozen meals for the two of us.

A thread I posted from another trip a few years back to do the same...with a few pics. I didn't take any this time.

Gotta love those razors. We don't have them around here but they get them up on the kenai pennisula and some other areas.

I haven't yet done it myself but I've had some that others have smoked and canned afterwards. They were very good.

These were actually pink neck clams from over by LeConte Bay to the north of us a bit. I would say they are a bit on the firm, chewy side but not so much that you are bothered by it. The canning process probably tends to firm them up I guess? Moisture didn't seem to be an issue since you usually put a tablespoon of olive oil in the jar before canning.

I'll look for a recipe that I have kicking around somewhere.

Back