Subsistence thread

Do you cook your crab in ocean water? It used to be a common practice around here. Not so much anymore. When Dad would bring home crab off the boat he'd bring a bucket of water to cook it in. Always cooked on a burner outside.

What about letting the silt settle out?

20 years ago, we were hiking up the Paria river canyon, as up-watershed there was rain.

The Paria Narrows are 10' wide, 800' deep, IIRC, so we couldn't descend the canyon.

The river water looked like chocolate milk. A water bottle, left to sit, would have 1/4 silt/ sediment and 3/4 clean, clear water, which we poured off to treat and drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably could do that but would have to wait overnight. I just add a good dose of sea salt and some Old Bay seasoning most of the time.

I wonder what's in sea water? It would be fun to use while camping or something, but I think I'd want to test it before I made regular use a habit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, the bottom line is that I'll only use sea water for steaming crab when it's a long way from any domestic area. There are too many pollutent sources near towns... even around here.

Last edited:
It's morning here, between your salmon and Brian's sammich, reading posts before breakfast I'm starving!!!

My gf and I went for Birthday Blueberry Picking at the end of my road.

There is an Eberhardt variety that started up here and ended up moving to CA. The old Blueberry farm is about 800' down the road from my house.

A short time picking and pruning out overgrown rows yielded over 6 quarts. 20230724_175402.jpg 20230724_160105.jpg

Sharing, mixing into breakfast smoothie, salad topping, on their own,...

Blackberries are starting to come in.

So do my bonus grandkids.
Most of what I make gets exported to Schweiz.

Back