Subsistence thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you serve that up? My brother-in-law canned a bunch of deer meat one year. It was okay. Not my favorite. I prefer frozen, then cooked as desired.
A variety of ways. The old standard is to mix it with a bit of mayonnaise and make a sandwich spread. I also make salmon cakes by mixing with some egg, leftover rice or mashed potatoes, and seasonings. Or just eat straight from the jar. The nice thing about canning is that it doesn't get freezer burned and it's shelf stable for a long time.

I'll offer an alternative recipe for the salmon sandwich spread. Instead of mayonnaise, use a tablespoon or two (to your taste) of horseradish sauce and four ounces of sweet pickle relish (again, to taste)...mix well and eat on bread or crackers or fresh sliced veggies.

That looks delicious. I love smoked salmon. It comes from Alaska, but it's in mylar pouches, not homemade.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's wicked good. I should have done more of this style. Currently canning the smoked stuff. Will have one more batch tomorrow and I will be done... thank goodness.

How is smoked meat for one's health?

I was just reading that bbq, with fat dripping onto the fire and burning, will coat the meat in carcinogenic compounds, albeit tasty.

Smoked food isn't the best for you, but it preserves it, and tastes good. Nothing is really good for you, so you might as well enjoy life. Everything is an adaptation against a hostile environment, and evolution only "guarantees" enough time to reproduce. Everything else is bonus time.

Black bits on meat is not good.

Smoked could be better than fried.
Much tastier!

Also, fried potatoes are no bueno, possibly more from an inflammatory perspective.

I grew up eating crap.

In the last few years. I've noticed French fries taste good with ketchup, but always make me feel bad afterward.

That’s almost all that ketchup is good for. French fries, and an ingredient in cocktail sauce. That’s it.
Got this crazy woman who puts it on eggs. Weirdos abound.

Just kidding really. Eat what ya like.
But maybe learn to season eggs if they’re so bad ya gotta slather them in a tomato vinegar smoothie to make them edible.

Mine eats lots of grass and other stuff, then sometimes pukes it up in a giant slime pile. She then looks at it all confused as if somehow today was different from the last time she tried to make a salad, then shrugs and starts running around again with the kids :lol:

Speaking of berries, I can make a small contribution to this thread, the wineberries locally have been ripe over the past 2+ weeks and have been excellent, I forage a bunch or em around my house as well as several spots OTJ.

Back