SRT

Alrighty then. Did I tell you I hate sideways
View the photo and open the edit function and tweak it in a way that’s not even noticeable, like zoom a tiny bit or rotate it a degree or two. Should post normal after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, yeah I'm going to try that with the FS.

Basal anchors, I use them when Wraptoring up and then untie and do the Ddrt work. A little sketched out about leaving it tied down there during cutting operations.

Could you elaborate a little more on exactly what part of leaving it tied as a basal bothers you.

Getting comfortable with using a base tie is almost essential for maximizing possibilities and potential.

... it's something that isn't the least bit intuitive to me, there's is loads of SRT stuff online to prevent the need to solve any of the basic issues and yet, it's still a challenge to me. :|:

If it is any consulation, it was the same for me when I first started with SRT. Even though I could easily see the possibilities and I could feel the efficiency in movement, my body just didn't want to cooperate. It took a concentrated effort to change old climbing habits and some things felt like more work. But eventually the lightbulb turns on and you wonder why you couldn't have figured this out years ago.

For real...my first few weeks on SRT I thought my arms would fall off...then I got settled in the distribution of using legs more...takes a bit of time but you get there!

Cory, if there is a twig or branch somewhat off the ground, use it as a rope holder.

On my sites, a short loader is often tucked off to the side, and homeowners always have said to use it.

A loader, hand truck, arbor trolley, etc, are all talk enough to stand on.

I'm going to clip my down-strand to my harness today, on a cedar prune or 2. It will pull the down-strand away from each cut, easy.

A pole hook with a 'lifter-tip'
Would push that base-tie right up the trunk.

Macswan wrote an Article on TB about simple base-ties. Graham Mcmahon had a similar style, on video somewhere.

Lowerable, no hardware.

Somewhat related to SRT, I went from a bulky CMI foot ascender to a Petzl pantin. CMI foot ascender always stays on the rope. Something happens with the pantin and the rope comes out of it unexpectedly. If I look down at what I do, it throws my whole posture off. Did anyone have the same issue? I want to like the pantin but right now it is more a problem than a useful foot ascender.
Thanks

So many climbers are in trouble with this feature on the Pantin, that in the (relatively) new version, Petzl sells a kit to modify it as an usual locking cam ascender. It adds the secondary lever on the cam preventing this one to open too much and so, trap the rope. Still easy on easy off, unlike the small biner used for this purpose until recently.

Last edited:
Thanks Marc Antoine I ordered the part, shipping's more expensive than the part itself but if it means I can keep using the ascender then it is cool.

Could you elaborate a little more on exactly what part of leaving it tied as a basal bothers you.

Danger of the taut rope being cut or damaged by ground operations. Leaving it tied 10' up with a tail reaching ground sounds good but I can't envision exactly how to make that happen. Also, not sure how to do a basal tie and then climb up from ground using Ddrt and ALT (alternate lanyard technique using one lanyard plus split tail Ddrt).

Edit : forgot to hit send on this post last nite. So thanks Sean, yeah pushing it up from the ground is easy, good call

Cutting the down rope is a legitimate concern. You need to do whatever it requires to reduce that possibility.

The best thing you can do is to get it out of the work zone. You are more likely to cut it than an errant grounds person. There are many ways to do this, but the best is to just tie it to a totally different tree or onto a solid object that keeps it away from your saw or anyone else's.

I should clarify that most of what I'm recommending is for general trimming. That is where running the rope along the outside of the canopy can be such an advantage. Basic removals are often best done with a canopy anchor, or at least switching to one after tricky limbs have been removed.

You need to get comfortable with the up and down mechanics of SRT first. It should be as easy as going up and down a ladder. Once you get to that stage, you will look at a job differently, because what was the hardest to do is no longer hard. That changes everything.

. If a ground man is cutting any where near your rope, you have the wrong groundie IMHO.

Fair statement but mistakes happen.

The best thing you can do is to get it out of the work zone. You are more likely to cut it than an errant grounds person. There are many ways to do this, but the best is to just tie it to a totally different tree or onto a solid object that keeps it away from your saw or anyone else's.

You need to get comfortable with the up and down mechanics of SRT first. It should be as easy as going up and down a ladder. Once you get to that stage, you will look at a job differently, because what was the hardest to do is no longer hard. That changes everything.

:thumbup:

not sure how to do a basal tie and then climb up from ground using Ddrt and ALT (alternate lanyard technique using one lanyard plus split tail Ddrt).

Anyone care to weigh in?

If setting your line from the ground wasn't an option due to any of various reasons and you wanted a base tie and to climb up via ALT. KB said he's done it and I just can't figure out how.

You can advance a basal tie in, usually just by throwing the tail over, unhooking, giving plenty of slack, alpine butterfly to clip the climbing system to so it doesn't move, and then whipping it through the crotch to get it back to you. I get what you are saying, but honestly just bombing the line over the whole tree, basal tie, then really jumping on it to set through the little stuff, and then you can climb and work normally because far smaller stuff will hold you with srt. I agree it's a very weird concept at first :lol:

Honesty, Cory, if I couldn't set my line from the ground, I wouldn't be using a base tie either. A tree has to be pretty bad for me 'not' to be able to set a line from the ground. I'm actually have a hard time trying to remember even one.

I do however, use an APTA with a laser sight and that does give me an edge.

Thx 09, that makes a bit of sense. And yes I have done the "bombing the line over the whole tree..." many a time for the wraptor. I was just curious about the base tie/ALT concept but it sounds like I can get by nicely without it.

I hear ya, Dave. Sometimes a tree's location can be a problem e.g. near power lines, next to a fenced off neighboring property, etc.

Hummm... well 20200501_105625-1.jpg I also have one of these, if you remember.

I remember.

Yo, that is news to me that you can punch a small biner thru a rope like that?!?

Back