Best Resources for Learning SRT?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great point, I didn’t think about that. Better to go with the ride then get ripped apart between two different stems. If I tied in to the other tree I would have had a high enough anchor point to get all the way out to the tips and take it in little pieces instead of the whole top and going for the ride. I had ALOT of trees to do and not a whole lot of time. Did 5 yesterday in like 5 hours. Got my butt kicked today by 3 that had a very sensitive landing zone. Then we went and dropped like 9 more trees/spars on the property. Not a bad days work for an exhausted climber and two ground guys

Yes rubber trees are rubbery! The boinnggg was my fault, it had started to rain, 10 mins to lunch and I took too big of a piece. Pedantic attention to tie in points lessened the drama.

Edit, read your post above again...you are young, big and new, keen to please, just ensure you don't get 'used', sounds a wee bit like your work order is crammed. Stay safe, exhaustion can lead to avoidable mistakes.

Usualy, the strong guys impose a big toll on their boddy by overusing their strength/capability. That doesn't show immediately, but later in age because all the cumulative abuses show up when the boddy begins really its slow self degradation around 45-50 y.o.. More or less, depending on the individuals but unavoidable as it's genetically programed. So take it easy, don't burn yourself. Think efficency, not just effectiveness. I know, it's easier said than done.

Thank you all. Day one with the 5 trees felt great but I have a weird “still moving” feeling after getting out of the tree. So every time I go for a decent ride or how the first day I got slung, I’ll be laying in bed at night and my body will still feel like it is getting swayed around in the tree. I’m also a certified personal trainer so I’m very aware of body mechanics and the nervous system. So the night time swaying that I feel is a cross between anxiety and my nervous system adapting/recreating the stressors. When that happens I can’t sleep so I only got like 4 hours of sleep before having to climb again the next day. I was fine physically but the lack of sleep made me mentally exhausted. That lack of sleep due to a swaying feeling has happened like 6-7 times in the last 2 years. Sometimes I feel like I need to drink beer again to help my body relax lol 😝 just kidding, April will be 6 years of sobriety. Your very right Marc. I have a high strength in relation to my body weight so I am able to muscle through a lot of things other guys may struggle with and I feel it sometimes in my joints from all the lifting and work I have done in my short life. Those considerations are a big reason why I’m so passionate about learning srt. I need to quit relying on my upper body so much but when all my climbing is either hip thrusting or spurs, I don’t have much of a choice for now

Maybe try a little diphenhydramine/ Benadryl or just melatonin if you want something gentler.

I read about some mental technique that pilots use to fall asleep in under two minutes, even if they’re in a chair. Looked fascinating, I’ll try to find it.

What occurs for the delayed sway feeling is a downside of the compensating system in the boddy. Every time our sensors detect a movement or a change in load, position or gravity (so it's pretty continuous, otherwise you are dead or at least knocked out), the brain fine tunes its orders to adjust permanently all the muscles both in strength and length. Move an arm or rize the applied force, even a little, the muscles of the entire boddy adjust to follow the modification. Giant task for the brain, but mostly unnoticed by our conscious side. When a repeated influence affects us, like the wind's sway on a tree or the waves on a boat, the brain integrates progressively this periodic influence in his baseline. See that as a fluctuating zero on the scale.
That reduces the reaction time, smooths the moves and regularizes the stance, while saving a lot of computing resources. It really automatises the response at this part of all the variations monitored along the day.
But the brain doesn't modify his references easily. Otherwise, that would be counterproductive, saving nothing in his activity. Here comes the funny thing. Maybe not so funny, as you see it.
When we calm down, or go out of the periodic influence, the brain keeps his fluctuating baseline for a good while. So, the orders sent to the muscles still have this compensating part, now unnecessary. The sailors have the reputation to be subject to this problem when coming back on shore : they feel like drunk and have an hard time to walk straight on the quay, like they have initially an hard time to walk straigth on the ship at first.
Now, you are quiet in your bed, you are able to visualize all this compensation work, attenuated now because the brain has already began to rectify his baseline.
Actually, what you feel his that the surrounding doesn't move like your brain expects it through his sensors.
After some windy days on skinny trees, I even felt the wc seat moving at home. Weird feeling for sure!

I had a spooky experience with Ambien. Do not recommend. Actually all I did was cook a cheeseburger and tater tots, but had zero recollection of doing so, just full on zombie mode. Didn’t even eat it, just woke up with a plate of food in bed with me. Stove was off and everything but it’s scary missing chunks of conscious activity. Got scared that I might decide to drive somewhere for food and get someone killed, so ceased that weird drug.

I used to get the sustained motion from whitewater paddling, but I found it pleasant. A little bit of lingering fun before I fell asleep.

Ambien.. my mother quit taking it after she got up in the middle of the night and ordered two vacuum cleaners. She had no recollection of talking to the lady and ordering them. We managed to figure it out before they showed up and cancelled the order.

Marc.. great explanation of residual movements sensation. Makes a lot of sense explain that way.

It normally only happens from me in tree work when it’s a ride hard enough that there is no conscious thinking of what is happening but a subconscious sudden reaction in preservation of life. Only after when I come to that I realize what happened. When I got slung on the skinny leaning tree earlier this week, it happened so fast that I cut, hit the chain break and placed the saw on my hip (I try to time my cuts sometimes where I can let it go on the hinge wood while I put my saw away and hold on). I was successful but the force came so quickly that I blacked out and just reacted. Next thing I knew I was on the other side of the tree koala bearing it. Looked up assessed my climbing line and lanyard and began to stand in my spurs and get oriented to get down. After those subconscious fast swaying actions, I almost always have the sway feeling at night and can’t sleep. I try to see it as relaxing as lxskllr mentioned but sometimes my anxiety is too high and I just want to feel still so I can sleep. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel my body swaying around in the tree

When we were sailing full time, and living on the boat, eventually there was no transition, I could get off the boat after a passage and no sway.

That’s what my hope has been burmy. That eventually I’ll be so adapted to that sway that it won’t be an issue at night anymore

It normally only happens from me in tree work when it’s a ride hard enough that there is no conscious thinking of what is happening but a subconscious sudden reaction in preservation of life. .... I was successful but the force came so quickly that I blacked out and just reacted...but sometimes my anxiety is too high and I just want to feel still so I can sleep. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel my body swaying around in the tree

There is a lot in that write-up that concerns me for your well-being. For just starting with this new company you are feeling like your life is in danger. To blackout from getting bounced around...I am trying to understand that. If you took a hit to the head or broke a bone I understand blacking out. I stepped off a cross tie once, onto a brick I did not see and broke my ankle...the pain knocked me out before I hit the ground. I woke up on the ground by my truck. But it was my body shutting down as a result of the broken bone. I wonder if the accumulated anxiety you seem to be experiencing got triggered by the stem shaking unexpectedly and your brain shut down momentarily? You need to get a handle on exactly what knocked you unconscious. Lots of bad can happen 50 feet up a tree when you go limp with saws, ropes running, spikes on your boots. Do the guys you are working with actually know how to help you if you are unconscious or injured and cannot self rescue?

Not trying to be negative but responding to how I read what you wrote.

One of the guys would know how to help me and I guess black out isn’t the right word to be using. Maybe something more like “instinct overtaking thinking.” When those faster rides takes place it’s been too abrupt for my brain to keep up, so it’s like my mind isn’t there, just my instincts. After everything slows down and it’s not instinctual but normal thinking patterns is when I would be able to think and assess my situation and continue working. While they aren’t the best sounding examples, say someone tries to hit you, your not thinking about the hit but responding instinctively to either block or dodge the strike. Dropping something off a table, instinctually reacting to catch it. Things that happen so fast that you don’t have the luxury of processing it, then after the instinctive action your even telling yourself “wow I did that.” that is more along the lines of what I meant when I used the word blacking out. I’ve thought of about 3 different ways I could have addressed that top that would have been less aggressive. I need to get better at remembering all the tricks/tools in my tool box before I go cutting a heavy leaning top again

That’s what I have been dealing with treesmith. Only bruising on one of them so far.

seankroll, as long as I can climb out far enough to take them lightly I would but in this particular scenario I notched it and did a very slow back cut trying to give the hinge a slow chance to go. I was tired and didn’t think far enough in to the weight and force that was on the stem. What I should have done could have been one of three ideas:
1. Didn’t have a safe landing zone so I could have rigged it to itself and began to shave the underside/relief cuts to lessen the pressure until the top slowly laid parallel (Or close to) with the stem. Finished the cut and let it come down slowly where it wouldn’t damage lower ornamentals.

2. could have tied in to the neighboring tree so I could treat the leaning top As a branch and limb walk it. Allowing me to cut and toss it apart in little pieces.

3. could have tied a rigging line in the neighboring tree, set up a balance beam and cut it slowly giving it to the main stem.
All three options would have kept the lower trees that were an absolute “DO NOT TOUCH” request by the home owner fulfilled. I dubbed for the notch because I needed to steer it just slightly away from one tree and failed to stop and process the forces on the remaining stem once released. Hence the “joy” of bull riding 40ft up in the air.

Sean I don’t see exactly what is going on there. Is that for self rigging?

Ruel did you stitch that yourself or just found the right length loop runner?

Back