O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Oh my f..... whatever Deity.
When i bough my first chipper, I needed an impact wrench somewhat bigger than the one I had.
I just told them to send one along with the chipper.

$452...................ouch

Of couse I'd just put down 28 grand for the chipper, so I was kind of desentisized.

How big was the impact like 1200flbs?

Sorry, I just realized that my command of the English/American language failed me.
Doesn't happen too often, but it is still embarrasing when it does.

I was thinking about a torque wrench.
The kind that goes"click" ( As in:" I'll stick it up your ass and pull the trigger until it goes:" click". You don't frik with the jesus, man!")

That's ok Stig, I was thinking torque wrench too. Matter of fact I need to borrow one for tomorrow so I can flip the blades in the chipper as they are pretty hammered.

Nice score Brian. I'm on the lookout for one myself, is it air or electric? My buddy has a cordless electric Dewalt and really likes it.

I have a cordless one too, fine for woodwork or light mechanical but nowhere near 550lbs of hammering.

That's ok Stig, I was thinking torque wrench too. Matter of fact I need to borrow one for tomorrow so I can flip the blades in the chipper as they are pretty hammered.

Nice score Brian. I'm on the lookout for one myself, is it air or electric? My buddy has a cordless electric Dewalt and really likes it.
It's air, sorry for not specifying. I have air in the shop and I also have an air line connection on the rear air tank on my big truck. 450 foot pounds should be enough for the lug nuts on that truck so I shouldn't ever have to pay $600 to get a Chinese tire delivered and installed on the side of the road ever again. And the cheapo Home Depot impact I have in the shop is barely adequate to remove the blade on my lawnmower, I've never been happy with it.

450 might break them loose if you are lucky. I have had to use the 1800 gun onthe chipper knives a few times. I started using antiseize after that.

I have a manual lug wrench as well (33mm socket) and I can use my LogRite cant hook as a cheater pipe if necessary. The impact will sure speed things up though.

1200 inch pounds = 100 ft pounds :|: You Canucks and your crazy metric system! :P

The one that Paul is talking about is for screws and small to moderate lag and typical bolts, so it doesn't need to be a "monster." I love using my impact driver for light and moderate assembly work(automotive or engine assembly and tear down), along with the intended construction and home improvement purposes.

Thanks Jason, that is indeed what I use it for, landscape construction and taking the blade off my mowers.

I love the sound of an air impact wrench, it always reminds of my youth when we would go to Reo's garage to get the car worked on, and the place was finely decorated with about a million girlie posters on the greasy walls. Think that would fly today?

I had to rescue four big wheels and tires from the scrap guys two weeks ago. I wasn't looking forward to taking off 32 lug bolts by hand. That was until I saw a quick couple on the bench with a 1/4" male fitting on it. Our farm trucks tanks have about four times as many extra ports as it uses. Now we can change wagon tires in the field with the impact. Just another reason to love trucks with air brakes.

My chipper bolts require 380 ft pounds of torque. I paid $450 for my 600 ft pd torque wrench also. Then I sold my blue point impact gun and bought one of ingersol rands biggest 1/2"ers. Good team now

Back