O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I'm somewhat indifferent to camo, but the colors are all my favorites. I like earth tones, and my favorite color of all is OD green. What I'm a HUGE fan of is durable clothes with lots of pockets, and <$10. AFAIC, the best stuff you can get is genuine military. It may lack in latest tech, and not be on the premium end of comfort, but it's made for winning. It'll get you through to the end, with the features/function necessary.

edit:
and so people don't think I'm babbling to myself, the above is in response to post since deleted. Go in like viking; do it once, do it right, and live with it.
It was my response he responded to. I second guessed on my post choice mere minutes after posting it. I deserve all the shame that I got. I'm not a VIking. I'm mentally ill. Although, I don't identify as such.

New wedge arrived today - a bit different than the norm. We are cutting so many dying ash trees now that wedging them day in and out is becoming an issue. Twice in the last month I have had dead limbs drop on me whist driving them. Will see how it performs and report back - 20t force and over 3in lift.View attachment 132258
Nice piece of kit. Looks similar in functionality to those hydraulic spreaders that come in a Porta-Power kits. We’ve used one of those in place of a wedge before, not out of necessity just dinking around. I have one of the 10 ton kits. Was in the back of the truck because we were using it to straighten a bent tooth one of the grapples. They can be used 3 different ways in place of a wedge so far as I can tell. Can use the spreader as a direct replacement for a wedge, just have to make a small notch for clearance. Can use the regular ram with the “ears” on the end, needs a little nip for clearance also. Can also use it with all the extensions exactly like a Euro style tree jack. They also make a short ram that’s akin to a bottle jack, suppose one of those could be used in place of a West Coast style tree jack.

Not particularly practical, at all, pretty heavy to be lugging around. Just wanted to try it since in was on site and I’d never seen anyone use one like that.

I can see one or two applications that might actually make sense. We’ve all had those that are up against a wall or structure with no room to swing an axe to wedge it over. Would save you having to throw a rope on it and pull with equipment. And with a longer hydraulic hose you could be a good distance away from the base, might work to one’s advantage in those crispy trees or ones with widow makers/hangers.

The thing that worried me was small contact patch on the main ram, not nearly as wide as a wedge, was concerned about shearing out a chunk and the tree setting back. The wedge/spreader thing worked exactly like a wedge, about the same dimensions as a large wedge, save for the thickness, but it did take some effort on the pump.

SU4910A__75111.1617316949.JPG

And that’s why I don’t post, just listen. Sorry for the useless information lol.

Nice piece of kit. Looks similar in functionality to those hydraulic spreaders that come in a Porta-Power kits. We’ve used one of those in place of a wedge before, not out of necessity just dinking around. I have one of the 10 ton kits. Was in the back of the truck because we were using it to straighten a bent tooth one of the grapples. They can be used 3 different ways in place of a wedge so far as I can tell. Can use the spreader as a direct replacement for a wedge, just have to make a small notch for clearance. Can use the regular ram with the “ears” on the end, needs a little nip for clearance also. Can also use it with all the extensions exactly like a Euro style tree jack. They also make a short ram that’s akin to a bottle jack, suppose one of those could be used in place of a West Coast style tree jack.

Not particularly practical, at all, pretty heavy to be lugging around. Just wanted to try it since in was on site and I’d never seen anyone use one like that.

I can see one or two applications that might actually make sense. We’ve all had those that are up against a wall or structure with no room to swing an axe to wedge it over. Would save you having to throw a rope on it and pull with equipment. And with a longer hydraulic hose you could be a good distance away from the base, might work to one’s advantage in those crispy trees or ones with widow makers/hangers.

The thing that worried me was small contact patch on the main ram, not nearly as wide as a wedge, was concerned about shearing out a chunk and the tree setting back. The wedge/spreader thing worked exactly like a wedge, about the same dimensions as a large wedge, save for the thickness, but it did take some effort on the pump.

SU4910A__75111.1617316949.JPG

And that’s why I don’t post, just listen. Sorry for the useless information lol.
Brother that is genius! Far from useless. I'd never thought to think about using such a thing!

Also, if it sounds stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.

Brother that is genius! Far from useless. I'd never thought to think about using such a thing!

Also, if it sounds stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.

It’s unconventional but it definitely worked. The easiest was using all the extensions on it like a euro jack, I put the wide, square base on the bottom of the ram and the pointy tip on the end of the extensions, didn’t take much pump effort. I used the ram on the bottom because I’ve had the fall out before and hit the concrete in the shop and break the hydraulic fitting off ram, figured it had the shortest distance to fall in that configuration. It’s pretty heavy and awkward to be carrying like that.

The spreader was the lightest configuration, just the pump, hose and spreader, but took more pump effort.

The ram has an “ear” that can be screwed onto it, and makes the fit into a small opening while retaining the high force and long stroke of the ram, but the ear is only about an 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 wide, and I was concerned about sheering out a chunk and the tree setting back, so I didn’t try it that way. Would have been pretty effective and relatively compact that way I’m guessing. IDK what they’re make of, but if you could have a wider ear made, or welded onto the existing one, that would probably work and be safe. Although I tend to err on the side of caution, so my reservations may be unfounded.

It’s unconventional but it definitely worked. The easiest was using all the extensions on it like a euro jack, I put the wide, square base on the bottom of the ram and the pointy tip on the end of the extensions, didn’t take much pump effort. I used the ram on the bottom because I’ve had the fall out before and hit the concrete in the shop and break the hydraulic fitting off ram, figured it had the shortest distance to fall in that configuration. It’s pretty heavy and awkward to be carrying like that.

The spreader was the lightest configuration, just the pump, hose and spreader, but took more pump effort.

The ram has an “ear” that can be screwed onto it, and makes the fit into a small opening while retaining the high force and long stroke of the ram, but the ear is only about an 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 wide, and I was concerned about sheering out a chunk and the tree setting back, so I didn’t try it that way. Would have been pretty effective and relatively compact that way I’m guessing. IDK what they’re make of, but if you could have a wider ear made, or welded onto the existing one, that would probably work and be safe. Although I tend to err on the side of caution, so my reservations may be unfounded.
Careful with a bigger ear on the ram or the extensions. That will increase dramatically the side force on the joints/ ram. This system works best in line. Any kind of "side something" tends to bend the assembly and if you go bigger, that may overload the components and bend/break a part.

Careful with a bigger ear on the ram or the extensions. That will increase dramatically the side force on the joints/ ram. This system works best in line. Any kind of "side something" tends to bend the assembly and if you go bigger, that may overload the components and bend/break a part.
That’s definitely something else to consider.

I got this cheap-o folding hand saw to clear brush out from below this beautiful tree I want to shoot this canopy anchor video in Massachusetts and a 34mm and 70mm anchor ring to create a Soft-8 (also for my canopy anchor video)...

The saw is pretty hefty for the price and spared me from having to bring my Silky on the plane. Now I have a beater to bring home with me!

Link to cheap saw:

PXL_20231221_211234162.jpg

So, I already went out this morning and cleared all of the brush and small trees that were in the way of my shot and, I have to say, I really do like this foldable saw.

I got the 11" blade model and most of what I was cutting was around 2-4" in diameter, so there was plenty of throw to allow the saw to do most of the work. The aggressive teeth made deep, fast cuts every time with minimal effort, removing a lot of material each time. The handle is nice and big with a grippy coating and if felt comfortable in my hand, and it is long enough to make two handed cuts with confidence. The blade itself stays securely within its housing, requiring a good amount of force in order to open the blade (which I like), ensuring that it doesn't open up inadvertently. The action of the swivel is tight and smooth and the locking mechanism worked beautifully, and there was no undesirable play in either the mechanism or the blade in any direction. The blade itself is thick enough to allow some absorption of force from off kilter pulls and pushes, but overall it felt thick and not flimsy like so many other cheap blades I've owned. Closing the blade is a breeze and works as expected via a large button that can be depressed on the spine of the handle and it was very easy to do so with winter gloves on.

Honestly, for $18, you can't go wrong with one of these hand saws. It has exceeded my expectations and I'm impressed with the quality. It has weight to it as well, and it doesn't feel nearly as cheap as it actually is.

For the price range, I'd give it 4.5/5 stars, with the loss of points being due to the fact that it isn't a Silky and only they get FIVE stars in any price range! =-D

Thanks Knotty! I'll keep these guys in mind when I need a new work saw. I recently bought a used Corona folder. It cuts well, but when the time comes to replace the blade, it costs more than the whole tool. That's ridiculous. I'll get the one you got, and save some money. The Corona's just as imported as yours.

I ordered a new pair of suspenders from "Betterspenders" in Oregon.
Not because my old pair was worn out ( I don't think they can wear out) but because Pfanner has changed the waist height in my logging pants.
So I ran out of adjustment.

The new pair is "Extra small" which is kind of a joke, since I'm 6' tall. Tells you how high waisted the Pfanner Gladiators are.

I splurged and got their contour sewn shoulder pad, simply because the idea of contour sewing it instead of just square, appealed to me.
20231227_114146.jpg

Attachments

• 20231227_114146.jpg
    20231227_114146.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I gotz me the Mack Daddy of pulley 'biners, the DMM Revolver Rig! Kneel before its impeccable glory! Huzzah!

#ImSoExcited #IJustCantHideIt #ImAboutToLoseControl #AndIThinkILikeIt

PXL_20231229_004254074~2 1.jpg

Back