O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Never say never.
I picked up a Dosko 337 stump grinder for 1500.00 today.
Hardly any hours on it. I've been the primary user renting it from our hardware store. They approached me again this year and the price was too good. Low hours for certain.. New teef. Just serviced.
Low and behold a custy of mine phoned and hates stumps. So she will pay for at least 1 third of it. I dont think its more than a couple years old. And I bet that maybe I rented it for 6-8 1/2 days since they got it. Pick it up tomorrow.
large.jpeg

Haven't been buying a lot of gear lately, but I guess this counts...

I bought 4x different hitch cords and I'm slowly whipping and taping and gluing the ends of each one as part of a giveaway series on my YouTube channel. Just finished the RIT Response with some orange and blue whippings.

There's something very relaxing and cathartic about sewing whippings and giving things away is also rewarding.

PXL_20230913_025408971~2.jpg

I love the idea of sitting inside when the weather is bad and whipping ropes, splicing etc. Unfortunate that there are other tasks competing for my time!

New wedge arrived today - a bit different than the norm. We are cutting so many dying ash trees now that wedging them day in and out is becoming an issue. Twice in the last month I have had dead limbs drop on me whist driving them. Will see how it performs and report back - 20t force and over 3in lift. IMG_6815.jpeg

Very cool. The Germans, or maybe Austrians, have something similar. Like$750. They are sold with a Milwaukee 1/2" impact. Looks to be very effective.

The first couple of days with the mechanical wedge were interesting.

The model I chose is not compatible with an impact driver. I did not want the extra weight of the drill and a couple of batteries, plus the units themselves are bigger. In addition they are not great on the smaller trees - like using 12” wedges on a 12” tree - no lift.

Took a few trees to get into the swing of it. it has great lifting power, not like a jack obviously, but plenty. When it ran out of lift, I put wedges in, lowered it and pushed it further intro the back-cut then went back at it. So much to learn in it’s positioning

Pro’s - it’s smooth and I did not feel like I was going to shock the tree and dislodge limbs and it has great lifting power.
Cons - I’m sure that you could compromise the hinge with incorrect placement and it’s another 10lbs to hump around the place - you still need axe and wedges.

Happy overall - will see how it goes as it will be busy over the next couple of months.

IMG_6818.jpeg IMG_6816.jpeg

I'm going to tangent off your post a little bit on that wedging tool, @pete mctree...hope you don't mind. You mentioned this issue in both posts, which made me think to highlight it.

Folks who don't have much experience actually driving wedges to push a tree to commit to the face may well not have much awareness of the hazard of those shock waves causing limbs or even tops to break out. To mitigate this to a fair degree, don't set up a repeating pattern of strikes with your axe...hit a few, let the vibrations die down, then hit another few. Vary the time between individual strikes. You want to kill off harmonic vibration buildup.

And look up often as you fell these buggers. It's an important safety practice that many overlook as they concentrate on the cutting and wedging.

Last edited:
Nikola Tesla clamped a small device to the steel structure of a sky scraper being built near his laboratory. It tapped the structure in such a way that it added to the shock waves increasing their intensity. He was able to shake the entire skyscraper so violently that the workerss abandoned it saying it was haunted. I don't believe he admitted to it at the time.

Thrift store cutting boards! Stacking wedges fot this backleaner! 20230921_152632.jpg 20230922_140442.jpg

These worked well, as well, when I bucked that log down to 9' log and 6' log. I needed to push the logs far enough apart to get the chainsaw mill out, so 4-5" for the bar.

Pete, what about a small bottle jack?

I have a 2t and a 20t. A 4t might be a better match.

Even a small bottle jack would weigh as much or more than the whatchamacallit ratchet drive wedge...plus the extra time to cut the jack pocket.

That being said, I've employed a 20T bottle jack to good effect often enough to be a fan, even if it is ghetto :D.

Back