O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I hitch a cord on mine. These hang in my truck and clip to my saddle.

It's rare that I ever need the scrench, aloft, but it sucks to climb down for one, if solo.

If I throw my chain aloft, I'll fix it myself, rather than send my saw down, unless I'm close to the ground. Ground workers usually have enough to do, already. What would I do, lower it down to watch them fix it, then haul it back up... seems like a waste of time and effort.

I don't notice such a trivial amount if weight.

If you want a pocket on your chaps, it's an easy hand stitch job. I stole the side tool pocket off a pair of worn out Carhart's, and sewed it to the belt just aft of my hip. It worked fine most of the time...only once that I can recall I lost the scrench out of it. Fabbing up a flap top with a velcro closure would not be hard, if one wanted more security.

Or get one of those Husky oil / fuel jugs everyone loves so much. There is a scrench holder built on top of it.
Tad pricey though :D
i dont like them, the caps are brittle and because of the orange colored plastic its hard to see when its full while refilling.

i like the clear plastic stihl ones :)

So...this whole missing, scrench thing must be a boy issue.
I've had the same two screnches tucked in the gap between oil and petrol cans on my combi-can for ever. They live there, maybe it's scrench paradise, they don't seem to want to leave.
The invisible return spring works really well too.
Tick, one for the girls 😉

Last edited:
So...this whole missing, scrench thing must be a boy issue.
I've had the same two screnches tucked in the gap between oil and petrol cans on my combi-can for ever. They live there, maybe it's scrench paradise, they don't seem to want to leave.
The invisible return spring works really well too.
Tick, one for the girls 😉
I don’t know about that. The girls in my life ( wife, daughters, and mother) can lose anything in remarkable quick fashion. Keys phone purse it doesn’t matter if it’s big or little it just magically vanishes. I have the same key to my parents house I got in the 5th grade, just saying.

IMG_20230615_154812940_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230615_160123299_HDR.jpg

I put the wee dogs that came on the 355 on my 2511. The plastic chaincatcher doesn't fit quite right with the beefier dogs. If it breaks, I'll replace it with a 2511 roller catcher.

The helmet I bought just cause I wanted a green helmet :^D Turned out to not be so wasteful though. It's more comfortable than my orange helmet. The straps are softer and fit much better. The orange helmet /just/ fit, and if it wasn't positioned exactly right, the straps would rub my ears. Lots of clearance on the green helmet.

View attachment 130326
View attachment 130327

I put the wee dogs that came on the 355 on my 2511. The plastic chaincatcher doesn't fit quite right with the beefier dogs. If it breaks, I'll replace it with a 2511 roller catcher.

The helmet I bought just cause I wanted a green helmet :^D Turned out to not be so wasteful though. It's more comfortable than my orange helmet. The straps are softer and fit much better. The orange helmet /just/ fit, and if it wasn't positioned exactly right, the straps would rub my ears. Lots of clearance on the green helmet.
Did you have to modify the dawgs to fit?

The 355 dogs fit the 2511 perfectly. I believe it's the same part#.The new dogs were advertised to be for the 2511, but they're kinda honkin' big dogs for a 25cc saw. I gambled that they'd fit the 355, and they do aside from the chaincatcher. The new dogs are heavier, so they don't fit flush with the case, and the piece of plastic is a little catawampus when screwed down. Not a big deal, but it makes it a little weaker. The 2511 roller catcher would be perfect if it fits. I think it will, but haven't confirmed that.

The 355 dogs fit the 2511 perfectly. I believe it's the same part#.The new dogs were advertised to be for the 2511, but they're kinda honkin' big dogs for a 25cc saw. I gambled that they'd fit the 355, and they do aside from the chaincatcher. The new dogs are heavier, so they don't fit flush with the case, and the piece of plastic is a little catawampus when screwed down. Not a big deal, but it makes it a little weaker. The 2511 roller catcher would be perfect if it fits. I think it will, but haven't confirmed that.
Those Westcoast dogs seem a bit overkill for a top handle saw...yes/no?

Those Westcoast dogs seem a bit overkill for a top handle saw...yes/no?
Perhaps, but the stock dogs were a little deficient. I kind of got them a whim while I was looking over their site. I figured I could use the stock dogs on the little saw while upgrading the larger. The 16" bar will be the default configuration for the 355, and with that combo, I don't think the size is ridiculous. If I were gonna spec custom dogs for that saw though, I'd make them a bit smaller. They'd be way overkill for the 2511 they were advertised for.

One problem with larger dogs on a wee saw is the loss of usable bar length can be significant. And a tophandle saw hanging at your hip in the tree, wearing excessively aggressive dog teeth, can have a tendency to bite you in the leg mighty hard :).

Nonetheless, I hate little bitty dogs, and plastic ones are a sin against sawyers everywhere :D.

The one-handed hanging on a stiff hang point, such as the dcs-2500t, orients dogs away from the leg.

The WCS dogs' "cut-out" seems to be to avoid loss of useless bar length.

Bonus points for anyone who can give me the most likely etymology (noun, the origin of a word and the historical development of its meaning) for the name "dogs" in reference to the chainsaw part . I've always been curious. Simply put, where does the name come from? Googling offered very little insight. Could be how I searched it, though.

Back