O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Just mixed the new stuff with canola oil. It's about 66% new and 33% canola. The little jar I used filled up faster than I expected. They don't appear to blend. After shaking, the new stuff looks like it's suspended in oil. I don't see that as a problem. It'll all get through the saw system. I leave it in the jar for a couple weeks to monitor things, and make sure nothing terrible happens.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it using it over time. My two poulanpros have space for a scrench clipped below the rear handle. It's super convenient having one that travels with the saw, but the one on the 4218 fell out somewhere and was lost. The 5020's scrench stays in place better, but the saw's terrible to use, even in poulanpro terms.

Carry a scrench full time when most days it is never needed?

Seems like I always need a scrench, even if it's just for minor adjustments. I have the TopSaw folding tool, and it works well when it's all you have, but I prefer a dedicated tool.

My chaps don't have pockets :^(

Thinking about it though... You could drill a hole through the scrench at the center axis(inline and 90° to the screwdriver), put a small piece of paracord through it, then clip it off to a biner. Put it where you want. No holes in pockets or pokes, and nothing to interfere with operation.

I have one of those things sitting in my truck @Mellow I was told to try it out and give some feed back. Told the guy it will go on my dash and probably leave when I clean the truck out. Problem is it’s attached to the pull cord which is gonna fight you as you use it. Also it’s on the wrong side of the saw for use. I don’t think it pulls out of the handle. Could be wrong. I’ll check in the morning

I'm not fully sold on the idea, but I'll give it a try. Probably on the 500i. I've run saws with loose chains more times than I care to admit, simply because I was too lazy to walk to the truck for a scrench.

I have screnches everywhere. Trucks, trailers, chippers, min skid all have at least one hidden. The crane had a small arsenal as well. Mostly because everyone seems to set them there and I pick them up doing my final walk around before leaving the site. I’m never far from one. Anyhow, let us know what you think of it. I’ll probably try mine out once I break a pull cord

If the scrench doesn't come out, that makes it a lot less interesting. That would be a huge hassle to use, and maybe not even better than nothing, cause you'd be carrying it around, and it would be banging on the saw, but you'd never want to use it.

I have lost every scrench I ever had in 28 years of saw work, (talking more than 30)
Except for the one I leave on my workbench (Ma house-scrench)
If they come to work, they come out of the toolbox to do whatever, then they see their chance for freedom and run away to Scrench Sanctuary to live out their lives as free-scrench.
I just use a screwdriver and 13mm ring spanner at work.

Stopped in at one of our jobs to move logs with the mini skid and found a scrench in the grass. Have to see which crew was there. I think one of my crew leaders stole my chap scrench this week, and he's in the Bahamas all next week. Might have to put it on a leash when it comes back.

I once bought all bright orange screnches as I was weary of losing so many of the damn things.
Still have some of those while others have gone missing.
The best fix was just buying a back pack that follows us around with 3- 4 types/sizes of screnches and the 4 sizes of files we use for sharpening. Couple of small screw drivers for adjusting carbs. A marker. Guages for rakers and a couple raker files. A file guide. Couple of brushes for filters. A spare spark plug.
Not real heavy. Often throw a couple new chains in there. And the screnches seem to get put back in the pack. Amazing.
Hind sight, I should have just painted some hi vis pink. But the pack works.
Good place for stacking plates for wedging as well if we have to hike in.

I once bought all bright orange screnches as I was weary of losing so many of the damn things.
Still have some of those while others have gone missing.
The best fix was just buying a back pack that follows us around with 3- 4 types/sizes of screnches and the 4 sizes of files we use for sharpening. Couple of small screw drivers for adjusting carbs. A marker. Guages for rakers and a couple raker files. A file guide. Couple of brushes for filters. A spare spark plug.
Not real heavy. Often throw a couple new chains in there. And the screnches seem to get put back in the pack. Amazing.
Hind sight, I should have just painted some hi vis pink. But the pack works.
Good place for stacking plates for wedging as well if we have to hike in.
We have the same kit except mines an ammo container. No extra chains though.

I have the 15" harborfreight cotton mechanics bag. It's got...

files for all sizes
compact adjustable wrench
allenheads
screwdriver
raker file/gauge
very aggressive flat file
a couple screnches
dollarstore sharpening stone
bar dresser
chain breaking/spinning stuff
spare tie straps
brushes and scrapers for cleaning
wedges

My hellokitty bag has a bunch of chains. Incomplete, but I can make them into needed sizes with my chain stuff

Question on sparkplugs... I've been meaning to look, and still can, but are all plugs the same? Can I just see what one saw is using, and it'll fit all the saws? I want to have a backup plug or two in my bag.

@Mick! I thoroughly enjoyed your honest and inspiring story about how your screnches always manage to achieve freescrench status after an undefined period of servitude. That Scrench Sanctuary sounds like a mighty fine place with a great moral compass. If they have a GoFundMe, I'll donate.

@lxskllr Hello Kitty bag is a must. I think even Bob Vila has a pair for similar uses and applications. #Respect

Last edited:
I hitch a cord on mine. These hang in my truck and clip to my saddle.

It's rare that I ever need the scrench, aloft, but it sucks to climb down for one, if solo.

If I throw my chain aloft, I'll fix it myself, rather than send my saw down, unless I'm close to the ground. Ground workers usually have enough to do, already. What would I do, lower it down to watch them fix it, then haul it back up... seems like a waste of time and effort.

I don't notice such a trivial amount if weight.

Back