O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

$117 all in...

View attachment 128831

Got it from the consignment shop, and I can't figure out it's story. Looks virtually unused. Chain and bar look brand new, a couple pieces of leaves under the cover, and a pristine air filter. Moderate-heavy scuffing on the bottom. Looks like it was slid across concrete. A little smoky, and the chainbrake's very sensitive, but it otherwise works fine.
I bought my 170 for the laughs honestly $80, its old and used, chain speed is too slow IMO, but a great saw to hand the new guy
what sucks is im more inclined to one hand a 170 than I am a tophandle

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but I couldn't resist at that price. A lot of people seem to like these little 170s. May just be a light trim saw for around the house.

The 170 is an ok little saw but a pain when you want to get into the starter cord side to clean it.
You have to empty both tanks, take the caps off and the whole side has to come off.
My go to little rear handle was the 021 and it's following generations. WITHOUT the 'quick tensioner' dooflikky.
The ultimate would be a rear handle 200...and if Burnham ever gets tired of his he can send it to me LOL 😂

Hey everyone! New to this thread. I hope this meets the requirements...

I recently bought two new ropes. The first is the Yale Bifrost 10mm, which I plan to use as a long lanyard and for demonstrating mechanical advantage/hauling systems as well as knots for my channel.

The second rope is a Teufelberger XStatic 11.7mm, which I will use as my access line for small trees when climbing SRS.

Both ropes were purchased with a sewn eye on one end.

Lastly, I bought three different 8mm hitch cords. I ordered Beeline, EpiCord and Veritas. I love all of them but the EpiCord, which is nothing like the 9.3mm variant. The sheath is woven way too tightly.

I ended up whipping both ends of my cut to size hitch cords before installing poacher's knots at both ends for a fixed and adjustable loop.

Also had a friend make me a brand new 10mm EpiCord that was spliced.

Attachments

• PXL_20230420_180924168~2.jpg
    PXL_20230420_180924168~2.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230420_180650226~2.jpg
    PXL_20230420_180650226~2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230418_174536387~2.jpg
    PXL_20230418_174536387~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230419_200800335~2.jpg
    PXL_20230419_200800335~2.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230419_200852327~2.jpg
    PXL_20230419_200852327~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230420_183307097~2.jpg
    PXL_20230420_183307097~2.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I’ll use a fiddle block set from time to time. But I do like the Rope Jack but not the price point. Nothing against J.B. mind you. I’ll more than likely buy one at some point.

Just looking at it I would think the price point wouldn't be prohibitive cuz it looks so simple. Probably easy to DIY I'm guessing

I think they are around $300. It’s not like that is a lot of money but I already have other tools that do the same thing.

I've seen a few video-based reviews about the CMI Rope Jack which say it can be prone to slipping after some tension has been placed on it and oftentimes unpredictably and extra-undesirably (afterall, any slippage is undesirable). And I'm not talking about it reaching a degree of tension where it literally can't pull in anymore rope or remove anymore stretch and so it slips; I'm saying at least two rando arborists (even Lucas (?) from Strider Tree makes mention of it in a much earlier video about lateral rigging to direct a falling tree. In the video, he uses the Rope Jack to pretension in the desired fall direction and he mentions its occasional proclivity for slipping/coming undone) on YouTube mentioned or inadvertently exhibited this trait. But I'm not hating on it or anything. Almost all rope devices will slip under certain circumstances (hopefully not rope grabs, though). But it's my opinion that a device whose literal purpose is to grip the rope strongly shouldn't slip enough to where people half or wholly mention it in videos. But what do I know?

I've seen a few video-based reviews about the CMI Rope Jack which say it can be prone to slipping after some tension has been placed on it and oftentimes unpredictably and extra-undesirably (afterall, any slippage is undesirable). And I'm not talking about it reaching a degree of tension where it literally can't pull in anymore rope or remove anymore stretch and so it slips; I'm saying at least two rando arborists (even Lucas (?) from Strider Tree makes mention of it in a much earlier video about lateral rigging to direct a falling tree. In the video, he uses the Rope Jack to pretension in the desired fall direction and he mentions its occasional proclivity for slipping/coming undone) on YouTube mentioned or inadvertently exhibited this trait. But I'm not hating on it or anything. Almost all rope devices will slip under certain circumstances (hopefully not rope grabs, though). But it's my opinion that a device whose literal purpose is to grip the rope strongly shouldn't slip enough to where people half or wholly mention it in videos. But what do I know?
There are threads here about the Rope Jacks creation when J.B. Holdway was posting here. Two ascenders and an axe handle. It’s a beautiful tool and has limits like every tool.

There are threads here about the Rope Jacks creation when J.B. Holdway was posting here. Two ascenders and an axe handle. It’s a beautiful tool and has limits like every tool.
DISCLAIMER: Of course (every tool has limits). I did make that very point in my post. I just, personally, found it noteworthy that so many people (relatively speaking) made mention of this relatively minor (or moderately bothersome, depending upon which review), but unwanted behavior with the device. My intentions were not to deter anyone from purchasing the Rope Jack, but to merely share anecdotal, informational discoveries that I made while browsing YouTube over the last few years and after encountering various reviews for the device online. I can only say that the impression I received from the aforementioned reviews left me viewing this slippage as something worth considering. It should be understood that I was merely relaying my interpretation of other people's experiences to the forum, with the exception of my concluding statement where I state that a device built to grip should grip [sic]. That wasn't meant to be a jab; I was attempting to make (what I believe is) a very commonsense claim. In retrospect, my post may have come across as being biased, but I assure you I have none insofar as whether or not the Rope Jack is a device worth owning. My intentions were to simply share and raise awareness of what I learned and observed and I reserve the right to realize that I have inadvertently sensationalized a "non-issue."

I had my lawyer write that (just kidding)! :lol:

Last edited:
Big Tex makes nice trailers, with one or two minor deficiencies. A buddy has that same style trailer about 4-5 years old. The pins securing the locking bars to the ramps and trailer frame broke off from vibration and now they use a ratchet strap to hold the ramps down. He said his next one will be a tilt trailer, no ramps.

Big Tex makes nice trailers, with one or two minor deficiencies. A buddy has that same style trailer about 4-5 years old. The pins securing the locking bars to the ramps and trailer frame broke off from vibration and now they use a ratchet strap to hold the ramps down. He said his next one will be a tilt trailer, no ramps.

I’m handy with a welder. I’ve already had the idea of cutting off the whole dovetail and building a hydraulic dovetail. Also considered making the ramps remote control.

Tilt trailers aren’t great for hauling multiple machines, usually. I’ve had a hydro dove before, it rocked.

25+5’

Played with some loading configurations. The grinder can fit beside the mini. Played with turning the mini around hanging the back over the headboard saving around a foot. The basket can hand completely off the back of the trailer.

IMG_3782.jpeg IMG_3783.jpeg IMG_3784.jpeg IMG_3789.jpeg IMG_3794.jpeg

I forgot I bought the trailer this month. Today I bought a Stihl SR430 and broke it in spraying 14 gallons of bifenthrin this evening hopefully smoking the mosquito population around the house. So far I'm very encouraged by the notable reduction of bugs (almost elimination) around the exterior lights and glass doors with lights on inside.

Jeff B... I forget his screen name or if he's even still here... anyways, his FB post prompted me to look into the idea, 4 days later I've bought my own and sprayed 14 gallons this evening.

The idea is to radically reduce the amount of annoying bugs/bighting insects; so far it seems to be working but we're still in the infantile stages. It's a blower with a pump for the ~3.5 gallon tank to mist/spray chem to the target areas. It plus a 6 pack of 2.5 gallon synth Stihl 2 stroke oil (extends the warranty) and tax was ~$770.
1685168768238.jpeg

Got my bar oil today...

IMG_20230606_202531619.jpg

It's better than oil. Says so on the label! Interested in trying it. It feels slippery without feeling oily. Says to drain existing oil first. Of course I won't be doing that. Probably reacts with oil and sets up like concrete. I'll have to chisel the oilpump out and buy another one :^D

Back