O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I think that'll require a modification to work. With this alignment, the little nub sits in the corner of the square hole, and combined with the bolt, and the pruner bolt "stop", it's captured pretty well, but it still has a tiny bit of movement. The alignment of the blade is less than ideal, and I ultimately may not like it, but this is an easy first start.

I really only considered this cause it was $16.50 at the consignment shop :^D It isn't something I expect to use a lot, but sometimes it could be handy(see my hacked together polesaw I made earlier this year). I'm mostly interested in the saw function, and I could see removing the pruner stuff anyway, but I'd prefer leaving it, cause the day may come where I want to use the pruner.

For my anticipated level of use, I think it'll work acceptably well. If I end up using it more than I expect, and I really don't like the way the blade sits, I'm thinking it might easier to modify the mount instead of going through thin hardened saw steel. Get a blade(maybe silky) that I know will be around awhile, and easily replaced, then add the holes to the mount to make it work.

A Silky blade on a stick is a beautiful thing. Unless it’s more than 18’ or so of pole.
The best part of a Silky on a stick is that it is less likely to bite you. I found two new Zubat blades in my old gear, afraid to replace them because new blades always draw blood. I still use my Zubat with the 3 year old, rusted blade once in a while.

A sturdy, long pole saw with a mondo blade is an indispensable thing.

I have a 1 pc fiberglass pole, I guess it's 12 or 14' long. 🔥

The best part of a Silky on a stick is that it is less likely to bite you. I found two new Zubat blades in my old gear, afraid to replace them because new blades always draw blood. I still use my Zubat with the 3 year old, rusted blade once in a while.
You may as well just cut yourself intentionally and get the blood offering over with.

Last edited:
12’ basswood is even better.
They are good but not as indestructible as fiberglass imo. But if they are readily available, I can see using basswood. It's been so long since I used wood. I'm not sure what wood they were made from. I remember the splinters!

Basswood are or were my favorite. I mostly use Silky and fiberglass ( hollow and core filled depending on wires). The price point of carbon keeps me away.

Maybe Gary would say bambou. Or are they too flexible for the expected diameter?

In the pic, I'd say that the blade has too much of an angle with the pole. When pulling it, the teeth may just sink in the wood and be stuck instead of gliding on it and severing the fibers.

Polesaw part2...

IMG_20220519_154215055_HDR.jpg
The weird angle I had on the blade didn't work. While this looks less stable than before, it actually works great. Blade cuts great(pull stroke only). Funnily enough, I used the lopper after saying I wouldn't have a use for it. Cut some limbs off a small pin oak that were brushing the house. The whole tree will have to be removed at some point, but I'll keep it as long as I can. The lopper was just thing, and saved me the hassle of getting a ladder out.

edit:
Good eye Marc. That was exactly the problem.

What's wrong with the pin oak?

Knock off the excess bolt length.

Also, A lock washer or two, wingnut, and thumb screw make a no-tool installation.

The pin oak's 4' from the house. I Really like it cause it shades that side, but 4'... It might outlast me, and be someone else's problem, but it'll have to be dealt with eventually.

I plan on making the bolt shorter. It's still in test phase at this point. Once I'm sure it's good, I'll take a bunch off. I thought about a wingnut, but I always have a leatherman on me when I'm setup for work, and it isn't a big deal to crank it down after finger tightening it. We'll see. If a wingnut that fits falls in my lap, it might go on there, but I'm good with the square nut.

Back