O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Got my stuff today. Rainbow bridge is installed, and the cube is filled with line. Spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to get the cube open for the first time.

Amongst the other throwbags I got, I picked up a Meteor(350g). That's the rubber coated steel one. They're expensive, but my eyes always fell on it while perusing the catalog, so I went ahead and got it. The ad copy always mentions "natural bounce", and listed it as though it's a feature. I always think "Hmm...". Not sure what natural bounce gets you in a throwbag context. Maybe it's not a feature, but a warning. If you miss your throw, could have a heavy chunk of rubber coming back at you pretty fast :^D

Amongst the other throwbags I got, I picked up a Meteor(350g). That's the rubber coated steel one. They're expensive, but my eyes always fell on it while perusing the catalog, so I went ahead and got it. The ad copy always mentions "natural bounce", and listed it as though it's a feature. I always think "Hmm...". Not sure what natural bounce gets you in a throwbag context. Maybe it's not a feature, but a warning. If you miss your throw, could have a heavy chunk of rubber coming back at you pretty fast :^D

My biggest concern about that composition would be rebound, especially when bouncing off spars/stout limbs on a 50+' Big Shot launch (as I have to do often here with the deciduous trees with the 1000's of twigs that people wait forever to have pruned). I already have seen the cordura bags go 20'-40' astray, getting hung up in other trees/limbs with the speed they get. That scenario has me thinking 2-3x the force/distance, which could make some shots an absolute cluster-f'd nightmare.

Do provide an update on use, and at some point, I'll come down to visit w/my Big Shot to try out as well.

Here's their product page for this weight...

The Pulsar is the heavy one, and meant for manipulating a bag in the tree...

Reading those, I get where they're going with the bounce, and I can see how a rigid bag could help with manipulating through a tree if it works as indicated, but it remains to be seen if it works. We'll see. This will be a handthrow weight for me. I use an apta for long/precise shots, and it doesn't fit.

Yes, specialty for manipulating , but I suck completly at it. All I'd have is the inconvenience of the giant rebound when trying to get the aimed crotch. I already saw what a rebound can do with a cordura bag and the bigshot. I don't want to try a rubber missile.

Last edited:
i tried one from a buddy, worked really well to hit a fork in brushy trees. seemed like the small branches that would deflect my regular bag (harrison rocket) wouldnt deflect the meteor. i will get one as a specialty tool for those frustrating trees full of little branches :)
friedrich

Friedrich, the little branches I tend to deal with here don't have a problem with stopping the weight, it's the line behind it that gets wrapped around them and adds additional work in the tree to release. I spend enough time retrieving missed shots into trees (sometimes going into other trees that I then have have to ascend). Good luck on your end with it.

Got a free bottle of Sap Zaprrr with my last order, and cleaned my hip prusik tonight. It was sticking really bad last time I used it, but it seems to have cleaned up pretty well. I guess I'll really know once everything is fully dry, but right now, it looks clean.

I don't know. Their page is here...

They don't specifically mention ingredients anywhere I can find. Smells citrusy.

Sap Zappr is the real deal, however expensive. My bottles of it all state this:

INGREDIENTS: A PROPRIETARY MIXTURE OF OILS AND PRODUCTS DERIVED FROM VARIOUS SEEDS, VEGETABLE AND FRUIT SOURCES.

ZERO % PETROLEUM PRODUCTS

I remember seeing the actual list of natural oils/extracts once, but I think it was printed and I didn't hold onto it.

Got this Gen-Y, 2"/ 2 5/16/ pintle combo. 10" rise or drop. 10k capacity.

My chipper feed tray is high. This will help. I can insert a raise-pintle slug in the top slot at job sites, even. I have a 5' chipper feeder sometimes, and other times 5'6". It will help me work less, too, at 5'11". Easier to feed with the mini, too.

Also got a front hitch receiver.

Now to straighten the jack from the steep driveway transition...oops. someone didn't put the jack up all the way.

Attachments

• 20220505_200623.jpg
    20220505_200623.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
I can just hammer this one. I use a 10" block of wood to reduce the jacking up and down as much, typically.

I need to mark ramp locations and the amount of jack leg that should protrude from the jack body. Simple things that help over time. A simple scratch mark where my slug fits my receiver makes pinning it as easy as possible with a simple visual indicator.

Got this stuff today for $33...

IMG_20220510_124027485_HDR.jpg

I need to get a blade for it. The Fiskars brand has bad reviews. I'll mod some other brand to fit. Any brand preference?

Maybe? Can't guarantee it, but it came from a storefront. I have a tool consignment shop near my house, and I stop in every once in awhile. My ms362 that got stolen came from there. I've gotten a bunch of good stuff from that shop.

@lxskllr did the zaprrr make your rope slippery? Did you wash the rope after the zaprrr?

That stuff works great! Its just the oils in it, im afraid will make my rope slimy, and i don't want to have to wash the whole thing.

How did you do it?

I massaged the Zaprrr into the rope, waited about a minute, then massaged it again. After that, I washed it with Dr Bronner soap and warm water and hung it to dry. I can still smell a little bit of the Zaprrr, but standing in my house testing it, the prusik seemed to grab appropriately with no slippage hand pulling. It hasn't been tested fully weighted yet.

Minor stuff.

I've been loading a lot of logs in my trailer. I got steel stakes for security and durability, drilled for bolts to attach to wood.
Chain down hooks, front and rear.
Stabilizer legs for loading and unloading.
Jack is repaired.

Attachments

• 20220510_193445.jpg
    20220510_193445.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220510_193453.jpg
    20220510_193453.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220510_193507.jpg
    20220510_193507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Finally got around to mounting a blade to my pole pruner...

IMG_20220518_164612414.jpg

This is what I could come up with modifying nothing, and I think it'll work acceptably well. I'll have to tie the pruner in the closed position to use the whole blade, but no big deal. The bolt's way too long, but it's what I could find quick in the truck. The blade got decent reviews on amazon, and it passes the eyeball test, but I haven't used it yet. I picked it due to the wide assortment of mounting holes to make fitting the pruner easier.

Back