O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Got a package from @Jonny today...

IMG_20210908_200437.jpg
It's an evaporative cooling vest. You soak it in water, wring it out, and it's supposed to keep you cool; 2200btu cooling capacity per hour is what the label says. Not sure what that means in practical terms tbh. I don't have a keen grasp of btus.

I was thinking I might not get to try it this year. I go to the computer to check the weather, and goddammit!, it's supposed to be 87⁰ Monday. If nothing changes for the better, I'll get to try it out. This time of year is almost worse than July-August. You wake up then, and you know it's gonna suck, so you just deal with it. This time of year it /could/ be nice out, and sometimes is, so it feels more like a personal "frig you" when it sucks outside. Good weather is dangling in front of you, and gets yanked away when you get close, though you might get thrown a few crumbs every so often :^/

Thanks a lot Jonny! This guy's been looking out for me, and trying to keep me on ice. He sent me some cooling stuff when sent me the chesties and other things. Jonny rocks!

realtime edit:
This was started last night, but the site broke.

Sweet, hope it works for ya!
From what I understand, it should be worn over a T-shirt and not underneath any other shirts or jackets, it needs to be able to evaporate. If you need to re-soak it in the field, fold it up and stuff it in a gallon ziplock bag and dump a liter of water in there.

Happens a lot here too. Have plenty of blocks, but really need to replace a 5/8ths currently and things like choke tubes, truck parts and mechanics tools show up instead.
Katy needs a set of tires put back for her new ride and they screwed up and sent a squeeze of hay. :lol:

Took it out back for a play, seems promising, have to wait for monday to find out properly.

What I’m looking for is something to clear the stuff that is too big for rakes and forks, the real ball ache part of a clear up. Then another pass with the plastic rakes/blower to finish.

Sounds promising. Well keep us posted I'd like to make something similar. The BMG Rake I have is pretty beat up and could use a retooling.

I thought about building one out of a landscape rake. Wouldn’t take much fabbing to make to work with the BMG. Plenty of times to get most of the debris, and they’re strong enough to handle the debris. The BMG rake leaves a lot behind if you’re pushing much weight.

2CC3E7F9-EAEE-45C4-9E77-819F07B153F0.jpeg

What he said. You’d have to fab the mount so you could roll forward enough to actually be raking and not plowing. And they’re more forgiving than they look.

Last edited:
It could plug into the bottom of the BMG as the round pipe of the BMG hitch receiver does.

On that note... It looks like this insert will fit the BMG square tube that accepts the hitch receiver's round tube.

If this is welded in place of the round tube, the towing will be much more stable.

Cheap, too.

20210510_133903.jpg

Attachments

• 20210604_153107.jpg
    20210604_153107.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
20210921_121800.jpg

Picked up my brushcutter today. I also got a foot ascender and some pocket wedges. The wedges were cheap; $3/each. The ascender was $20 more than it costs online, but I wanted to support the dealer, and encourage him to keep up with the arborist supplies. He's gotten a bunch of stuff in for tree care. It's pretty sparse, but you could go in with nothing, and leave with enough stuff to do a job, but it might not be exactly the brand you want. He had the RE Transporter for $54, and I was really tempted to get it, but deferred for the time being.

Harness on the cutter isn't as nice as my Husky, and it didn't come with any cutting attachments, nor did it come with a guard appropriate for the blade I use. I currently have it fitted with a Chinese guard I got for my old echo that was stolen before I had a chance to use it. I don't expect much from it, but at least I can wear it out, then throw it out, and go from there. The Husky guard /may/ work on it. I'll have to see how it all goes together. Nice light machine, and the shaft is longer than the Husky. I came to accept the short shaft on the Husky cause it was more maneuverable for back country work, but there was a real possibility of cutting my toes. It would be impossible to do with the Stihl(and my old echo) while they were in the harness. Looking forward to trying it out.

edit:
My two cutters side by side...

IMG_20210921_123753.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score man!
Best price I’ve seen on the Transporter. I still haven’t got one, but got a locking DMM Vault last year when I bought a small lot of gear. It’s neat, I like it, but I doubt I would’ve bought it on its own. I’d you don’t mind them moving a little bit, a regular old carabiner will do the same job. I kinda like screwgates for this task.

For my chainsaws, I'm using the *SingingRock Porter. It's a plastic deal, but it stays put nicely. Really hard to beat for $8. What I like about the Transporter is the locking gate. I've already clipped into branches with the Porter, and while it isn't a huge deal, it's irritating.

*Not 100% true. On my good saddle I have a Nite Ize biner thing lashed on with paracord. It's a contraption for tensioning lines if you don't know a truckers hitch. It works pretty well, has a small gate, and stays oriented in place well, but it's not as nice as a Transporter :^D

Back