O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Our safety inspection is pretty much a piece of cake here for lighter trailers. CHP does it. Best no shitty welds though.
Appropriate lights, brakes, springs and axle ratings. Tongue, hitch, for weight rating etc. We have a local scale at the dump for the Tare Weight of the trailer. Once inspected, lucky enough, the DMV is right next door.

Just another thought. Like I have my little 14' flat deck trailer. If I modify it with like a log loader arch or something, bet it will be after inspection. Don't give the inspector too much to look at. Get the basic trailer certified, get your tag, get on with the project with your new legal trailer. Just my .02

Yes, it's actually legally possible to built your own, but practically, the inspection service makes the administrative part an unreachable quest.
Not so long ago, the best way was ask them the precize requirements for road use (materials, sizes, weights, lights, brakes, identifying plates ...), you comply that and after the control's visite, you got the registration paper and good to go (insurance, cop's control ...).
Very doable.

A common way to avoid the control's trouble and still get the legal paper was to use a chassis from an old registred travel trailer. Get the proper one for the capacity you are looking for, trash all the superstructure (usually mostly rotten), and build you own flatbed or dump on it, reasonably well. The cops were fine with that.

Now you have to brings (from my immediate recall but there may be more):
- the homologation's reports for the main components like the hook system, the drawbar, the axle. As if the different producers would want to give you that just because you're a nice guy.
- a precise calculation sheet for all the parts.
- (and the best) the result of a crash test of the said trailer !!!

That reached a point where a guy building custom trailers for a living gave up the activity (seen on a mechanical forum).

I figured that was your Nifty and Kubota there too so I figured your shop.

I have the same freightliner truck with my terex boom, 2013, its been very good overall.

Yup. I've kinda wanted one for a good while, but didn't really have a legitimate use for one. I've been getting more interested in splicing treemaster, and needed a marlinspike anyway, so it gave me a good excuse to buy one. USN knife made by Colonial in Rhode Island. $75 shipped from M&B Shipcanvas co out of FL

I did a little reading on it, and apparently the half serration is a newer mod to the design. Not sure how I feel about that. It's hard/impossible(?) to sharpen, and I'm concerned it'll leave a ragged edge on the rope, even if it gets through it faster. Might be fine. I've yet to use it, but I never had issues cutting rope with my standard edge knives.

Back